Author Topic: Original 1950s Cinemascope Lenses for Sale or Trade  (Read 8215 times)

scartacus

Original 1950s Cinemascope Lenses for Sale or Trade
« on: February 28, 2010, 06:44:14 AM »
These 2 original Bausch and Lomb cinemascope lenes were found in the loft of a cinema along with some posters I acquired. They could do with a good clean with WD40 or something similiar. Grab yourself a slice of cinema history!

NB The lenses were attached to the cinema projector converting the picture to Cinemascope.

For anyone who's interested, here is a brief article on how Fox used Cinemascope to try and counterattack the dawn of TV. Half way down there is a picture of Marilyn Monroe holding a Bausch and Lomb cinemascope lens:

"...Fox used its most powerful sales people to promote CinemaScope. Cinerama didn't have Monroe, Paramount didn't have Monroe, Fox had Monroe and she was in CinemaScope. Did she contribute to the success of Fox's wide screen system over the competition? Most likely, the answer is yes. At right, Marilyn is seen fondling a Bausch & Lomb Type I CinemaScope projection lens, which sold for over $2,800 per pair at a time when American G.I.s were returning from Korea and buying their first homes for $5,000. Hold on to that lens a little tighter, Marilyn!"

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/Widescreen/wingcs3.htm

Not looking for big bucks. £45 for the one with the box or £35 for the second lens.Or I could do a trade for a poster.

NB They're heavy so I will need to get a quote for postage.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Original 1950s Cinemascope Lenses for Sale or Trade
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 06:50:42 AM »
Pretty freakin cool!

This would be ideal for someone who was looking to set up a little theater memorabilia exhibit in their home theater.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

scartacus

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:14:26 AM »
There's another cinema artefact that was discovered at the same time that I have put on US ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270538962317&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:18:53 AM »
I am not in the market for these but they are nice pieces of history regardless...
Chris

scartacus

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 03:44:46 AM »
I'm delighted to say these have now been sold, headed towards a very good home -- linder1.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:30:38 PM »
Dam,  just nopticed this, I would of had them myself.
It's more than a Hobby...

scartacus

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 03:06:05 PM »
Paul,

Would you be interested in an original 70mm film splicer also found in the same cinema?

I took it to the London Cinema Museum at the weekend. The curators there got very excited about it, saying they had NEVER seen a 70mm film splicer before.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270538962317&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Dominic

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
I would certainly love a 70mm set up, could never afford it never mind fit it in the over full house. I don't know what I would do with the splicer. The lenses could be used though, as I have numerous film and digital projectors. Oh well never mind.

Did you find anything else in that cinema, as I am looking for signs, and fittings?

Good luck in selling the splicer, I am suprised a cinema museum has'nt snatched your hand off, they are a rare beast.

scartacus

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 04:52:47 PM »
The builder who found all this stuff also had his eyes on a big 30s odeon cinema sign but it got pinched by someone else...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »
I'll keep an eye open on ebay for it!