Author Topic: "Collection Intervention" TV show  (Read 14452 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: "Collection Intervention" TV show
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »
I think I paid $7 for my JAWS one sheet in '75.
That was at a dealer's shop.  Top dollar...  wynk

I regret not buying a dozen or more.  Sell 'em to you miscreants for big bucks...  whip

Sweet it is at $7.

Hindsight eh? With a couple of stacks you would be driving a nice Mercedes. Just selling them through Bruce to that Jaws clown.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
  If only...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »
So in defense of the argument of displaying, since posters were meant to advertise shouldn't you at least attempt to see the movies of the posters you own?

Hmmm....

And stamp collectors should try and visit every country of the stamps they own
And cigarette card collectors should smoke at least one of every brand of cigarette card they own
And autograph collectors should only collects autographs of the people they meet.
And comic book collectors should wear their underwear on the outside of their Lycra...
David

ozcinemagic

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 07:14:52 PM »
Yes, Australian collectors are notoriously accurate and wise  8)

Yeah, like the apparent expert who's been in the hobby for all of 3 years.
You should go check your $70K worth of posters. I think they're rippling and warping. Better send them off to be pressed.

ozcinemagic

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »
No response from Mr 3 minutes?  :-X

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 11:13:25 PM »

ozcinemagic

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 11:50:40 PM »
Thought he just stared at his posters. My mistake.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 11:51:39 PM »
 laugh1

Nicely played from down under.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »
Speaking of hoarders, what is up with this Ebay seller?  Can't find any floor space?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-MONSTER-Movie-KING-KONG-Poster-REALLY-NEAT-/120985780686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2b5081ce

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 10:20:35 AM »
No response from Mr 3 minutes?  :-X

Guys, you need to give Mel a break.  He is attending the Raiders of the Lost Ark IMAX film fest. IMO, after the first one, the other three (less so the one with Sean Connery) are just painful to watch and wrecked the franchise. 

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 03:13:55 PM »
Speaking of hoarders, what is up with this Ebay seller?  Can't find any floor space?

No doubt Thierry's wife is away so he is vegging out at the moment... ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:15:01 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »
Collection Intervention is an excellent show.   thumbup thumbup  Ms. Luray does a great job as the host.  

Over the last few nights, I watched all 6 episodes on the SyFy On Demand channel.  The last one was I watched was the one with the guy who had all the posters.  He has a lot of very groovy stuff, and he appeared to be one of the best at selling his stuff.  The funniest part of all the shows IMO was the one with the guy who has the Battlestar Galactica collection, and after checking out a lot of his items, Ms. Luray said to the guy's wife something like "this stuff is really cool, I'm thinking it should be displayed somewhere."  The wife's response was a classic "deer in the headlights"/terrified look and she replied something like "in the house! we can't display it in the house!"  8)

Thanks for mentioning the show here, rumble.  thumbup
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:00:01 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 06:03:02 PM »

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »
I wish there was more than one episode on Hulu! I think overall it seems they are very respectful to the collectors, and a lot of us should be able to identify... To some degree at least. Talking about hoarding, I have read a great book on the topic ("Stuff") and it is safe to say most collectors are not hoarders in the clinical sense... thank God!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 03:35:33 AM »
Yikes, I wish I'd checked this thread out earlier. I thought you guy's were talking about a T.V. Show.... eyeroll

Yes, I did pick up a few nice items in the days of Yore few that were a few Quid. These posters are worth considerably more than I paid, even taking into account inflation.  However Mel your right in a way, that most modern posters will be used by Ari as gift wrap; But if you buy the right posters, they will go up in value.

E.G. :-  I have a mag from 10 years back where it states that a few Bond Quads sold at Christie's for around the £400-£500 area. These were Connery Bonds that are now worth much more than that.

The moral of the tale is, certain posters will go up in value. A lot of the dross won't.     For a true collector it's not the money that's important, it's the enjoyment of the hobby.  If I sold up I could retire quite nicely on the money I would make, and at my age I can't think of anything better than retiring early.  Will you see my stuff on the Bay, or at Bruce's...Not a chance.    What will my collection sell for when I retire....I don't give a toss.  It's NOT about the money...   
It's more than a Hobby...