Author Topic: APF Price Police: What is your standard for determining "overpaying" at auction?  (Read 51892 times)

Offline enki

• Collector
I'm a little late to this now-rambling thread, but I would just add one more thing which hasn't been discussed: Opportunity cost & the time-value of money  This comes into play in addition to how values are affected by personal taste, connection with the movie, income, scarcity, status, etc...

While you have a valid point, that time is money and in the end someone who spends time trying to save a penny might end up wasting a dime, you are overlooking a few facts.

1) Your analogies are not really valid unless Brian and Thierry were sacrificing time at a paying job in order to do the search. Just because someone makes $100,000/year, which is equal to about $48/hour (in a 40-hour work week) before taxes and other stuff, doesn't mean they make $48/hour every hour of every day of every week. So it's not like if they spent 10 hours after work doing something they 'wasted' $480. Now if someone took an unpaid day off to spend those 8 hours trying to find a deal on a poster, yes, that would result in an end loss of a few hundred bucks. But as long as they are not missing out on doing something that would make them money instead, nothing is actually lost.

2) Many people in high-income positions spend much more than 40-hours/week working, so the time they have leftover outside of sleeping is quite valuable to them. But only they could put a price on what it's worth. For me, I pay someone $85/month to cut our grass and do the general landscaping. Why? Well first, I hate working outside in Florida. But also, I would much rather pay someone else to do it so I can use that time for other things. It's worth the $20/hour I'm paying them so I can do something else. That might just be sitting around the house watching television. So in that case, one might say that I paid $20 to watch a TV show. But, to me, that was $20 well spent.

3) For many people, saving money (in large quantities) is actually fun. It's not the end result that matters, it's the thrill of the hunt. I personally don't find it interesting to spend an hour or two each week cutting coupons to save $10-20 in groceries, but I will spend hours trying to find slick deals (www.slickdeals.net) online. Hell, back a few years ago, I spent countless hours during an entire week going after the eBay Doorbusters Christmas promotion. I won't go into the details, but they were dropping random prizes for $1 BINs to whoever could find and buy it the fastest. In the end, it became a scripting contest to see who could access the eBay API fast enough. I ended up 'winning' close to $7,000 worth of stuff. Some I kept, much I gave away (or won for other people in the first place). But while the winning part was always nice, I enjoyed the challenge even more.

Bruce

The bottom line is if you enjoy searching it is not "work". But if you DON'T then your time IS worth what you get for other work you do.

Years ago I spent an hour a day on eBay searching, because I found tons of cool items and many steals. Over time, the fun went away, and also most of the good deals, and one day I quit and never did it again.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Collecting posters is very personal we do it because it does something to our senses, some of us can't even define what that is. It's not a race, there is no prize awarded to the person with the most titles, the most expensive collection, the biggest and so on. Every single person here appreciates the desire, the enjoyment and the fun that one can get out of chasing, finding and collecting movie posters and certainly sharing our 'wins' with fellow collectors is part of what makes a hobby so enjoyable (not matter what that hobby is).

Time spent collecting is not a rateable expense and money spent adding to ones collection when it brings personal enjoyment should not be up for criticism.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:10:49 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline enki

• Collector
Collecting posters is very personal we do it because it does something to our senses, some of us can't even define what that is. It's not a race, there is no prize awarded to the person with the most titles, the most expensive collection, the biggest and so on. Every single person here appreciates the desire, the enjoyment and the fun that one can get out of chasing, finding and collecting movie posters and certainly sharing our 'wins' with fellow collectors is part of what makes a hobby so enjoyable (not matter what that hobby is).

Time spent collecting is not a rateable expense and money spent adding to ones collection when it brings personal enjoyment should not be up for criticism.

I agree.

This is also why I don't understand why anyone would want to buy something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-STAR-WARS-MOVIE-POSTER-REFERENCE-COLLECTION-VOTED-1-OFFERING-WORLDWIDE-/390457338521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae9122a99

Crazy price notwithstanding, part of the joy I get is hunting down posters I like/need/want. That's the fun part about collecting. My personal focus is mainly in Star Wars, and I'm kind of glad that certain items only come up very rarely. Because when one does, and I might be able to get it, it provides excitement. I wouldn't want to just go out and buy every poster at once in some mega-collection, because it would take all the fun out of it. Great, now I have everything and it took 15 seconds to get it. There would be no lasting enjoyment.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
I disagree with a lot of this.  So according to you guys, every new acquisition should be cheered and applauded.  What is this?  A beauty contest?  Is someone going to cry because someone else told them it was not all that great?  So that's okay if we spend our time bashing each other and calling each other names in the political threads, but to criticize someone's new acquisition is verboten?

I've had some of my purchases criticized in the past, and rightfully so.  I even remember a time when some people were picking the worst titles of my collection and making fun of them.  That's okay, I've got plenty of bad titles ;)  This is a public forum.  Not everybody is going to like everything.  People need to grow a spine and stand for what they love.  I couldn't care less if the entire forum mocks a poster I recently bought.  If I love it, that's all that matters to me.

Yes, I did say in another thread that I didn't like the Matrix poster someone (can't remember whom and too lazy to check) bought.  It's my opinion.  And I find it ridiculous that members would not post their new acquisitions by fear of being criticized.  If it's true.

By the same token, I know a lot of people on this forum sell posters.  So obviously, these people are not going to like it when someone labels a given poster as too expensive.  This is a learning curve for everyone.  I am not always right, no one is, but everyone has an opinion, and in a public forum, people have the right to express it and others to make up their own minds.

T
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:52:00 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline enki

• Collector
Am I missing something? I'm not sure how anything that was recently said applies to what you are talking about.

We were discussing the value of time spent searching over just buying something for a higher price.

What does that have to do with cheering all new acquisitions?
 mesmrized

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Sorry, I was reading stuff from yesterday and saw this from Ves: "Annoys the crap out of me that other collectors poo poo other peoples purchases...if we all liked the same thing, we'd be up poop creek!" and this from David: "Time spent collecting is not a rateable expense and money spent adding to ones collection when it brings personal enjoyment should not be up for criticism."
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder

She is convinced in the end that I will ultimately buy exactly the same number of posters and still have more time to spend with her and our daughter.  

Harry that last sentence caught my eye. No poster deal is worth more than quality time with your family.  My wife said something similar to me and I adjusted accordingly.  In the beginning, I was going overboard with my internet research and deal hunting, prior to the hiatus.  Being in the same room with your family, but on the laptop does not qualify as quality time. Of course, right now, I am multi-tasking watching the UGA game and checking out the forum.   wynk

Plus, another element for me is that Bruce has earned my respect, and consequently, I am willing to pay more at an emovie auction. Ebay can be hit or miss about the quality of photo's and poor shipping.  I hate dealing with eBay problems. Also, I got tired of over rating by some internet sellers.  I honestly find that Bruce either undergrades or is dead on.  Plus, I had one internet seller tell me twice just to send back posters that were disappointing.  Well, I don't have time for that either from sellers.  I must also say, that Rich is a stand up seller.  ;D

Brian
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:18:27 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Matt

Brian, stop right where you are my friend.

A man..."multi-tasking".  nono  You're a bloody liar!!!

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
  Brian, stop right where you are my friend.

A man..."multi-tasking".  nono  You're a bloody liar!!!

laugh1
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
You're a bloody liar!!!

Pot.Kettle.Black...

...because your legs really look like that.
David

Matt

Pot.Kettle.Black...

...because your legs really look like that.

Touché

At least your av is a little closer to the mark. wynk

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
ATLfun...  Funny what you just posted at the bottom there.  I see it as a sign of encouragement to do it more often.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
ATLfun...  Funny what you just posted at the bottom there.  I see it as a sign of encouragement to do it more often.

T

New tag line or not, disparaging comments are just a part of your nature and no extra motivation is needed.

Brian

Dread_Pirate_Mel

New tag line or not, disparaging comments are just a part of your nature and no extra motivation is needed.

Brian

Add this screenshot of Thierry's website to your tag line too  ;D

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:32:31 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Add this screenshot of Thierry's website to your tag line too  ;D

There is definately a sick element to this hobby, it's how we over come this, which defines us

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
There is definitely a sick element to this hobby, it's how we over come this, which defines us

I see an urgent need for an AP Forum intervention...soon!

At least your av is a little closer to the mark. wynk

Touché indeed...well played sir
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:36:31 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Ok, now THAT'S pretty funny.  But, I'm sure this is among the posters that he gets for free and he can't stand to throw some shit away.

Actually, if he was going to sell some time in the future, it's not bad to keep it around.  There's a whole generation that might be into buying that very poster 25 years from now. 

Ok, I've changed my mind.  It's a treasure.  Thierry should tube it and keep it in a climate controlled environment for the day it will sell for $1500.

Add this screenshot of Thierry's website to your tag line too  ;D

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!

Ok, I've changed my mind.  It's a treasure.  Thierry should tube it and keep it in a climate controlled environment for the day it will sell for $1500.

Yep. You never know. One day it could be the unicorn that makes someone an elite collector.

Offline enki

• Collector
Yep. You never know. One day it could be the unicorn that makes someone an elite collector.

Unicorn something...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
"I'll believe you when me sh*t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet!"

;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Question for the day.

Which is worse?  Those Bieber posters or this Hall & Oates video?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:55:50 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder

Actually, if he was going to sell some time in the future, it's not bad to keep it around.  There's a whole generation that might be into buying that very poster 25 years from now. 

You might want to add the number 9 in front of that 25 and then include the proviso '...or when toilet paper is in short supply..."
David

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Ok, now THAT'S pretty funny.  But, I'm sure this is among the posters that he gets for free and he can't stand to throw some shit away.

Actually, if he was going to sell some time in the future, it's not bad to keep it around.  There's a whole generation that might be into buying that very poster 25 years from now.  

Ok, I've changed my mind.  It's a treasure.  Thierry should tube it and keep it in a climate controlled environment for the day it will sell for $1500.

Shit, too many games to watch today to follow the great rhetoric of this forum.

That is really funny, though.  And yes, I got these posters for free, but even if I hadn't, I still believe Justin is better looking, or at least looks smarter than Keanu.

T
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:18:20 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder

I still believe Justin is better looking, or at least looks smarter than Keanu.

and yet I'm still wondering why that would actually make a topic for discussion...
David