Author Topic: 2 for the Road Japanese "six sheet" / billboard - would like opinions re: resto  (Read 7609 times)

linder1

I know that some of the membership here *loathes* linenbacking and restoration of any kind.  So to those who might want to make a comment along those lines, please, restrain yourself.

I'm looking for commentary on how much, if any, restoration would be appropriate for this poster.  I also thought some here might enjoy having a look at this one-of-a-kind-as-far-as-I-know piece.

So, here she is, 2 for the Road:

http://www.postermountain.com/form/images/full/4572

(I still can't figure out how to make an image or text into a link on this forum, so if anyone can clue me in I will make the picture a clickable link)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:43:02 AM by linder1 »

scartacus

From your pic it looks like the main defects are on the corners, plus there's a bit of fold wear. But the main problems are the corners.

Rather than spending the money on restoration, why not put the cash towards a really nice archival frame with Non glare UV plexi, acid free backing etc. If you get the measurements right, the rim of the frame will "eat up" most of the corner defects and you will be left with a beautifully displayed poster.  

?        

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
If it were me, I would have them back it and simply ask them to use a "less is more" approach.  They are the professionals and they'll know what you mean.  I would assume they would fix up your corners (replace the paper in the lower right) and touch up the folds and some of the paint loss (for instance, her waist area on the black coat).

Your main dilemma would be if you want them to air brush the white area on the left side of the poster.  I would say no as, A) it's not too bad and, B) it will probably improve when then de-acidify and clean it before backing it. 

The poster is actually in really good shape already... I don't think you have too much to worry about.  How big is this by the way?  What does a "6-sheet" refer to in Japanese sizes anyway... six B1s?  six B0s!?

scartacus

Oops. Missed the fact that it's a six sheet. That ain't gonna be cheap to frame, though I think Sue Heim's site has some budget tips how to display linen backed 6 sheets using dowling and a few other bits and pieces.

What size is this beast? Do you plan on displaying it or storing it somewhere safe?

linder1

Yeah, it's a big one.  I don't have the exact measurements on me but it is approximately 5 feet square (not quite square, but close).  There are/were two separate panels and this is already on linen, I guess that's not clear from the picture.

I do not plan to display it until I have a big house or office where I will have my own room to display it, and then it will be framed even if it's expensive.  This may well be five to thirty years in the future.

I am definitely not going to airbrush any of the white field.  That will be obvious and will look bad no matter how skilled the artist.  I am fine with some age showing... after all, it's an old piece of paper!

The less is more approach is what I'm leaning toward.  These are the items on my list:

• Lower right corner replace paper
  • Touch up across Audrey's waist (on bike)
  • Touch up on fold lines where it took away some of the paint on the large Audrey portrait
  • Touch up last red character on title where there's a tear

P.S. I don't think it's really called a six sheet.  It doesn't fit into the usual poster sizes and Poster Mountain dubbed it a 'six sheet' in their email to me.  It's just BIG.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:09:33 PM by linder1 »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Cool.  It sounds like maybe (2) B0s -- each 41"x58" -- so like 6.5' x 5'.

I think you are right on track with the resto.  Minor touch-ups are all this piece really needs -- and 'needs' is probably too strong of a word, it's pretty fantastic as is.  As scartacus mentioned you might even be able to skip the corners if it will be framed someday.  What little of the paper loss will be visible will hardly be the focus in this huge piece.

scartacus

So it's like a 60 inch by 60 inch? That is big.

I'm curious as to how much restoration you can do when it's already linen backed. If you're getting into paper replacement I guess you're going to have to deback it first? Perhaps one of the pro restorers can chip in.

linder1

Well, standard operating procedure at Poster Mountain is for them to back it (as you see here, this is their work midstream) and then check in with the customer to see what else they want done.

Others may do it differently.  I know when I work with Dario on smaller pieces (I work with Dario on everything except gigantic pieces like this) we figure out what to do beforehand and then he uses his judgement to complete it.

It is definitely not two B0's, but it's relatively close to that. Good enough for getting an idea of how big it is.  It's definitely the biggest Japanese poster I've owned, or that I can recall actually.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Erich, if the piece is going to be linenbacked, I would have the folds touched up & that's about it
I don't care if the blank corners are cut, as long as the art is undamaged, so I wouldn't replace them.
I definitely would not get any airbrushing done as I think under certain lighting conditions airbrushing becomes very obvious & is a distraction to me.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
It's a great poster, Erich.  If you settle on someone to handle the linenbacking for the large formats, let me know if you would.  I have a 6 sheet poster that I have considered backing, but I don't really know anyone quality to handle it at a reasonable price.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

linder1

Erich, if the piece is going to be linenbacked, I would have the folds touched up & that's about it
I don't care if the blank corners are cut, as long as the art is undamaged, so I wouldn't replace them.
I definitely would not get any airbrushing done as I think under certain lighting conditions airbrushing becomes very obvious & is a distraction to me.

Thanks for the perspective Rich, I appreciate it.

What about the tears like on Audrey's waist on the bike?  Just leave it (in your opinion)?

• Post-aholic
yes I would get such areas touched up, the same with the tear in the black area at bottom right
things like that I would get touched..

but I also agree that less is more and I would have it done as minimally as possible

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dr Hackenbush

My philosophy on restoration is to address anything that compromises structural integrity.  After that you fix issues on a case by case basis.  The two bottom corners should be addressed and I would also have the tears sealed.  Whether you want them touched up is up to you, but I don't think it's necessary. 

linder1

My philosophy on restoration is to address anything that compromises structural integrity.  After that you fix issues on a case by case basis.  The two bottom corners should be addressed and I would also have the tears sealed.  Whether you want them touched up is up to you, but I don't think it's necessary. 

This poster is turning into a clinic on poster restoration!  It's great!

OK, so can you say more about having "the tears sealed"?  I've never heard that offered by any restoration provider and I'm curious on the definition.  Thanks.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I have to say that looks pretty good as is.  The two bottom corners do not really distract from the overall poster at all.

I can understand your desire to get the middle fold area fixed up as it is a major part of the image but still, it's nice as is!
Chris

linder1

I have to say that looks pretty good as is.  The two bottom corners do not really distract from the overall poster at all.

I can understand your desire to get the middle fold area fixed up as it is a major part of the image but still, it's nice as is!

Thanks!  I agree, which is why I am struggling with the decision.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Then I would recommend to do what YOU want.  You are the one who will be staring at it on your wall more than anyone.  If you are always going to be bugged by the fact that you didn't get the fold lines (and small tears) touched up... then do it.  It is already mounted to linen so any sort of touch-up, paper replacement, etc... they do at this point is reversible.  If you are happy with it as is, leave it.  If you want a few things addressed, do it with the comfort that it can always be brought back to the condition it is in now if need be.

Most of all... ENJOY!  It's a helluva poster.  What you should be worried about is how to get it on your wall sooner rather than later!

• Post-aholic
hackenbush.. you should not equate the same restorations from comics to posters. Comics that have been made to look perfect via restoration are losing value as is evident on the 2 Tec 27s at Heritage.

The poster doesn't need to look perfect. It should look presentable. Too much restoration is too much restoration. If framed, the corners will never be seen.

Restoration will eventually become anathema to advanced collectors except when absolutely needed for care and not for cosmetic beauty

-------

Dr Hackenbush

This poster is turning into a clinic on poster restoration!  It's great!

OK, so can you say more about having "the tears sealed"?  I've never heard that offered by any restoration provider and I'm curious on the definition.  Thanks.

My bad.  That's a restoration term used in comics, my other collecting hobby, which basically means to stabilize the tears so they don't get worse/bigger. 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
My bad.  That's a restoration term used in comics, my other collecting hobby, which basically means to stabilize the tears so they don't get worse/bigger. 

In our hobby, that restoration process is known as... tape ;)

Archival of course!

scartacus

I knew I had a question -- I bought a roll of PH7-70 tape which I thought would be just the job for tear repair. Whilst it is acid free, it also states that it has a high grab factor and is difficult to remove. So I'm guessing this tape is not ideal for tear repair? Is there a particular brand that does the job, is acid free and you can remove it if needs be?

thanks!

Dr Hackenbush

You may want to check out this site for your conservation needs (they're in the UK, too).  Looking through their lists, the Filmoplast P & P90 can be romoved with water or solvents

scartacus

Thanks H. Filmoplast was the name I'd heard bandied about a few months ago but forgot about

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Since PM changed their database access, and who can view it, the heart of this thread will now be a mystery.

:(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:24:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff