Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 4426 times)

Through the Stones

Hello!
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:40:55 PM »
Just wanted to say hey to you all and thanks for letting me jump on board this awesome site!

My name is Russ and I live in Colorado.  I got started in this addiction in 1995 when I got a job at Mann theaters, first poster was the advance for Toy Story.  From there, it came from the theater through 1999 and eventually eBay (when it was still fun to watch auctions and there were only a few questionable sellers).  I also frequented Cinema graphics near the DU campus and once or twice Hollywood poster but really it was eBay and the theater that kept me fed...  :)  I also used to be a member of the iGuide forums and loved reading the stuff at damnthe.com (whatever happened to that guy?) which was a great source of info at the time.  I currently have just over 100 collectible posters and unfortunately no website.

My main area of interest is, first and foremost, posters from my favorite films of the 70's through now and then titles that just have great art.  I tend to be a set collector and am not just satiated with a single version for any title that has more than one.  I am currently working towards a complete one sheet set of all Indiana Jones films and would love to move on to polish, czech, etc... versions as well.  I'm also pretty into the area of authentication, printing (dad's been in printing for forty years), and the history of the NSS and other sources of marketing materials.

As a related side, I work at Starz Encore in Colorado as a QC evaluator, and my degree is in film production so if anyone has any questions as to that side if the entertainment industry, I love talking about it.

At any rate, it's great to meet you all, hope I can be a positive member of this community!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:18:07 PM »
Glad you're here Russ, and I look forward to your future posts, especially in the authentication area:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/board,42.0.html

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:39:47 PM »
Welcome to APF, Russ.
This is the place to hang with other psycho poster collectors.
Instead of a web site, you might want to start with a photobucket account so that you can post pics of some of those 70s posters.  Great era!

Charlie

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:17:10 AM »
 woohoo I love Starz Encore just watched Shipping News tonight.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:44:36 AM »
Just wanted to say hey to you all and thanks for letting me jump on board this awesome site!

My name is Russ and I live in Colorado.  I got started in this addiction in 1995 when I got a job at Mann theaters, first poster was the advance for Toy Story.  From there, it came from the theater through 1999 and eventually eBay (when it was still fun to watch auctions and there were only a few questionable sellers).  I also frequented Cinema graphics near the DU campus and once or twice Hollywood poster but really it was eBay and the theater that kept me fed...  :)  I also used to be a member of the iGuide forums and loved reading the stuff at damnthe.com (whatever happened to that guy?) which was a great source of info at the time.  I currently have just over 100 collectible posters and unfortunately no website.

My main area of interest is, first and foremost, posters from my favorite films of the 70's through now and then titles that just have great art.  I tend to be a set collector and am not just satiated with a single version for any title that has more than one.  I am currently working towards a complete one sheet set of all Indiana Jones films and would love to move on to polish, czech, etc... versions as well.  I'm also pretty into the area of authentication, printing (dad's been in printing for forty years), and the history of the NSS and other sources of marketing materials.

As a related side, I work at Starz Encore in Colorado as a QC evaluator, and my degree is in film production so if anyone has any questions as to that side if the entertainment industry, I love talking about it.

At any rate, it's great to meet you all, hope I can be a positive member of this community!

What was your name on MPT?

Through the Stones

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 02:10:23 AM »
It was rking007 I think.

Posterodyssey

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 02:19:11 AM »
Welcome, Russ!
Damnthe.com was Dan Rickard's site way back when.Or,he shared it with a friend I think.Later on he started movieposterauthentication.com but,it all became too time consuming so he decided to close shop.
But,never fear Russ,Dan,is a member here.He comes by once in awhile to drop the knowledge.Check out the authentication section.

Anthony

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 05:36:01 AM »
Hi Russ, there's a few of us from Movie Poster Talk here, we are called the OG's ;)
I was offaleater I think (or was it posterfreak?)
far out I dunno, but welcome aboard.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:35:46 AM »
You young fellows and your Inter-web forums and Names.....

Welcome to the forum Russ, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »
Welcome Russ.  I used to be a Colorado Collector myself until about 5 years ago when I moved back to Wisconsin.
-Jay-

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 05:40:08 PM »
Welcome!
David

Through the Stones

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »
Thanks for the greetings everyone!  My first step in the next month is going to be unpacking my collection and getting them all bagged and stored right again (they are all currently in a massive 8" concrete form tube lined with crap posters) and then photographing them and into a flicker account, so I'll hopefully be putting something up soon!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
Welcome Russ!
Chris