Author Topic: Yet another thread raging at incompetent shipper (museumofmomandpopculture)  (Read 17492 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
I just won a very hard-to-find modern poster from a seller who doesn't seem to have prior experience shipping posters.
I am worried, so I queried him regarding his shipping plans.
He told me that he was shipping in a carton -- not the triangular USPS, but a four-sided box he received it from the studio in.
Warning Will Robinson...warning...

I asked if he could by a regular tube and ship it within the box -- double tube it.
That tube will cost me an extra $5.  Money well spent, I hope.

guest4185

FYI, I have purchased from the momdadpopculture or whatever they are called and had a fine experience without any problems.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
likewise. Always found them to be good over the years.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

ozcinemagic

Like I said before, the poster looks OK from the front and you'd have to look closely to spot the damage on the front.  On the back you can can easily spot the rippling, warping, and denting.  Home flattening techniques will not fix them. I'll have to shell out $200 for pressing to restore it to its original pristine condition.  

Generally, I've found that home flattening techniques never really work and often the "cure is worse than the disease." I've tried the "put 100 heavy books" on top technique before but that just causes permanent rippling and warping throughout the poster.  

Who does the pressing and how do they do it? Sounds like might be wetting process?

ozcinemagic

Don't know?

ozcinemagic

http://www.postermountain.blogspot.com/2012/02/them-you-know-movie-about-giant-ants.html

Quite a science! Interesting how they re-folded it for originality. I didn't realise you could wash without also backing. Pulp Fixin better invest in a heat press!  ;)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters

We use coex pvc drainage pipe for shipping rolled posters. It comes in 3" and 4" diameter. We order it by the truckload from home depot. It comes in 10 ft lengths and we cut it to size as needed. Lightweight and stronger than cardboard it is virtually indestructible and it is comparable and often cheaper than cardboard tubes from yazoo.

Posterodyssey

Yeah,more expensive all the way around but pvc is well worth it.

I'd send that back,Mel.That's not what you paid for.You can grab a folded one in decent shape and back it.Be just as nice.

Absolute worst when this happens! I'd rather it be ran over and completely destroyed than receive something like this.

Anthony

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
Actually, it isn't really expensive at all. The drainage pipe pvc tubing is much lighter weight than regular pvc tubing so it doesn't cost a lot to ship. It is still plenty strong, stronger than cardboard. A 10 ft length costs roughly $8.00 delivered (we buy 50 to 100 at a time) and you can get four 30 inch tubes from it.

Posterodyssey

I was referring to regular pvc,Dave.The 'drainage' type pvc is very good (definitely way better than cardboard) but, for the peace of mind I've just always went the regular pvc route.Nothing crushing, or running that over.
But yeah,drainage pvc would do the trick as well.Normal wear and tear thru the facility and loading onto trucks... it would take it just fine.About the only thing it wouldn't handle is being run over.But those odds are low anyway.

Anthony