Author Topic: Tom Loce (tloceposters) fake thread  (Read 65281 times)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Re: Tom Loce (tloceposters) fake thread
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »
Hi CalvinJH. Welcome. Yes, what TED ("Brude") said is accurate. I recently purchased from him myself---what I am pretty sure is a FAKE!  If it is something much sought after (STAR WARS for example) or rare, chances are it is a FAKE. Something less popular, possibly real. Fingers crossed you got something real. ALL of the positive feedback (which is probably why eBay hasn't offed him) is from people who either got real items or who were duped into thinking they had legit posters and did not realize they had fakes. Fingers crossed for you.

And JEFF (erik1925) has just chimed in. BOTH he and Ted are great resources---among many others on here.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2017, 03:18:31 PM »
Are all of this guys posters fake? I just ordered two from him, time to start the refund process I guess.

As others have said he probably has a fair amount of authentic goods mixed in with his plethora of fakes.  However, as I mentioned recently, I bought a quad poster for the movie THE FOG, and even that was fake.  So he is even making bootlegs of lesser titles, or titles that haven't been mentioned as commonly faked.  I'd avoid altogether and just get your stuff elsewhere. 

If you must purchase from him it is good to know that he does offer free return shipping as well as a full refund including shipping costs for any reason; but it's a hassle and the two times I have bought from him I was let down.  So far I have bought the aforementioned FOG quad, Pumping Iron one sheet, and Drive one sheet.  All obvious fakes.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:13:19 PM by archstanton »

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2017, 03:40:14 PM »

Damn that sucks, I ordered a Taxi driver and Jaws day bill, I am guessing they will be obvious fakes - I will keep you updated.
Duck you sucker!

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »
Calvin, those are most likely fakes, he has been selling those for years  - post em when they arrive, if they look minty white you will know they are not original.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:47:56 PM by Damomac »
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
Best thing to do is avoid this thief like the plague.
I often see older posters of his on ebay that look genuine but to avoid any confusion, I avoid him entirely.
His loss not mine.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
And if they are those minty white fakes, don't wait..

SEND 'EM BACK and demand your $$$ be refunded, INCLUDING any shipping cost he charged you to mail them out.

-Jeff

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »
Besides being disappointed that he sold me fakes, I was also sort of surprised to see how shoddy of a packaging job he did.  The folded posters were not between any cardboard, they were just put in an assembled Priority Mail box with a bunch of paper put in there to fill the empty space; the posters themselves right up against the thin wall of the box so any minor dent to the box would have ruined the posters.  Had they been authentic I would have been even more upset because of this.  When I sent them back I had to improve the packaging so they did not get damaged and somehow screw up the return.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:18:00 PM by archstanton »

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
Yes, I can verify his shoddy packaging. I've been going through my rolled poster tubes the last few days, and was shocked to find another package I had ordered from him in 2011---long before I was even aware of APF and when i had just moved to the shack-o-rama. The rectangular "tube" was bent and crushed. It came that way...with a note from the post office saying so. Whether the poster inside was a fake or not (it was the NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3D remake), I have NO idea. Nor do i care as the rolled poster has a nasty crease running through the whole thing, making it worthless to me.

I don't know how or why I didn't demand a refund then....other than I had just started nursing school and was too preoccupied with that.

Even if he sends legit stuff---look at the condition and packaging!

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
Shawn was only ONE poster inside that mailer?

And if so, why in the heck did he charge you almost $11.00 for shipping? And that was back in 2011!

NO WAY would it have cost that much!. Overcharging for mailing a single poster, (or even a couple) in a tube is a huge peeve of mine.  moron1

And how telling that the name of his outfit is Thomas Loce Productions. That may be a clue to other parts of his "production operation."

-Jeff

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
Yes, just the one...that he held closed in a roll, not with a plastic bag or even a rubber band, but with masking tape. GRRR!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »
Shawn was only ONE poster inside that mailer?

And if so, why in the heck did he charge you almost $11.00 for shipping? And that was back in 2011!

NO WAY would it have cost that much!. Overcharging for mailing a single poster, (or even a couple) in a tube is a huge peeve of mine.  moron1

And how telling that the name of his outfit is Thomas Loce Productions. That may be a clue to other parts of his "production operation."

It looks to me that $11 is what the post office charged him.  No idea whether that included insurance.  Still, Everyone else seems to get ten rolled posters into a sturdy tube for that price, including the cost of the tube.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2017, 05:56:53 PM »
Does loce offer Free Shipping? If so, then yes, that's what the PO charged him alone. Otherwise that cost would be charged to & paid by Shawn.

Do you recall if he charged you for mailing, Shawn?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:58:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2017, 06:22:22 PM »
No---that was far too long ago. Sorry. Somewhere I am sure i printed out the auction page...but have no idea where that would be at the moment.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2017, 06:27:33 PM »

-Jeff

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »
I bought two posters from him with combined shipping of $5 Priority Mail.  It obviously cost him more than that to ship, but that is likely all part of his way to lure in customers.  Based on his feedback and sales he must get a lot of newbie buyers who aren't aware at all of his shenanigans, and the cheap shipping charge is just added bait.  The added expense to him is worth it in the additional sales it surely brings in by having cheap shipping. 

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2017, 12:07:27 AM »
Here is the problem folks. I would estimate 80% of the people buying movie posters on ebay have no idea there is any difference between a large format inkjet printed poster and a theatrical poster and of those 80% 95% of them dont care, it is just what the market is today. Cheapest they can buy that looks like what they saw at the theater is all that matters. Ebay doesn't care, I report the f'ers that do the print on demand and list in the original category all the time and they never get removed, i dont know why they even separate the category.

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
My package finally arrived from tloceposters today, the packaging was better than I expected. I had to pay £15ish import tax on top of the $20 postage.

Here are all the images: http://imgur.com/a/I8zfa

I actually ordered inserts/lithograph and not day bills. The taxi driver poster I think is 100% fake, the paper is too glossy and feels too new. The finish looks like it just came off the press, I'd expect at least a little damage for something that is supposed to be 40+ years old. The paper is very white on the back.

The Jaws one also feels fake, but I'm confused by this (http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/748079.html). The paper seems similar to the Taxi Driver poster, but it is much older and isn't as white, infact, slightly aged (and smells a little aged). In terms of size, both are almost the same, but the taxi driver insert is slightly bigger than the Jaws one (by about 0.1 inch).

What are your thoughts on the Jaws insert? I'd love to know if anyone has an original, the paper seems to be too thick.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:10:32 AM by shadytrade »
Duck you sucker!

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »
Looks like an older reproduction to me - the international version which you have (no ratings box) is known for reproductions, there are a lot of those around - it may have been printed a few years ago, which is why is may seems a little aged. Is it glossy on the back? Thats one way to tell with this Jaws insert. It also looks like it was hand folded at one time to give the impression that its legit.  Other people on here would most likely have a better idea than me though - see what the experts say. Agree with The Taxi Driver - 100% knock off.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:25:14 AM by Damomac »

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2017, 07:32:22 AM »
Looks like an older reproduction to me - the international version which you have (no ratings box) is known for reproductions, there are a lot of those around - it may have been printed a few years ago, which is why is may seems a little aged. Is it glossy on the back? Thats one way to tell with this Jaws insert.  Other people on here would most likely have a better idea than me though - see what the experts say. Agree with The Taxi Driver - 100% knock off.

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2017, 07:32:48 AM »

It's not glossy on the back, its the same as the Taxi Driver poster. The paper quality also feels the same. How thick should the paper/card feel on these inserts compared to one sheets and aussie daybills?

It looks like its going to be hard to get a real insert for these movies, there seem to be a lot of Taxi Driver ones out there: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=taxi+driver+insert&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=16

Duck you sucker!

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2017, 07:41:25 AM »
Best to get those two movie posters off a dealer or Bruce at EMP - you will pay more but at least you know that what you are getting is 100% original. T love has been selling those for years so once is a while one he has sold gets put back on ebay, either because people think they got a bargain and want to flip for profit or just don't want it anymore. Not sure on the Jaws insert thickness i only have the one sheet for that movie - others on here way more qualified than me should be able to assist shortly. Make sure you get a refund on the Taxi Driver and see what others say re: Jaws.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2017, 08:55:47 AM »
The Jaws is definitely one of the minty white bootlegs.  Here is an original from HA.  Look at the art just above the "A" in RICHARD.  The bubble near the edge is missing on the bootleg as the art was slightly cropped when it was made. 

Offline shadytrade

• Beginner
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »

Many thanks for the help - Also, your website is very cool, big fan!
Duck you sucker!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2017, 10:09:02 AM »
I am aware of the Loce bootlegs but, if someone is going to print a copy of the poster, how would the image within the poster construct be cropped differently to the original.?

Surely, the copy is made from just scanning the original and off to the printers you go?  Cropping within a poster would more normally be done at source for some reason?  Yes, no?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
I am aware of the Loce bootlegs but, if someone is going to print a copy of the poster, how would the image within the poster construct be cropped differently to the original.?

Surely, the copy is made from just scanning the original and off to the printers you go?  Cropping within a poster would more normally be done at source for some reason?  Yes, no?

Depends on how hard you want to work at fooling people.  Simply scanning the original causes the lettering to become fuzzy, especially the small printer logo and the NSS text.  By separating the elements, the crook can get a better copy.

I am beginning to think that the 'errors' are intentional and allow the crook to quickly spot legitimate ones.  I also was surprised that somebody worked so hard to lower the condition of the Jaws poster.  The fold marks and the missing surface paper.  If someone went to that trouble, I would also expect condition issues on the edges, such as folds, small tears, pinholes, etc.  The folds themselves don't make sense as it doesn't appear that the poster could be folded along those lines.  Not enough space between the folds to hold the bottom portion.
-Jay-