Author Topic: What do you NOT collect?  (Read 42085 times)

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
Re: What do you NOT collect?
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2014, 02:48:18 AM »
Well that's a lot of it - crappy imagery or just poorly done on so many, plus I don't like the small size.  It has nothing to do with the country of origin and everything to do with the fact that they up intrinsically suck.

hehe,I couldn't resist but to post one.I know you hate those dinky,crappy posters. ;)

Anthony

Mirosae

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2014, 06:30:27 PM »
Speaking of Belgians...I just read in another forum that Certain Canadian vampire who sucks in all the good Bogies, has got another of my favourite Bogie/Belgian (yes, you know who you are..).. to the matresssssss

In the meantime...This is another great belgian.. :-*

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2014, 11:21:18 PM »
sorry Chris, not cute enough

You have a cold, dark soul sir
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2014, 11:21:57 PM »
Speaking of Belgians...I just read in another forum that Certain Canadian vampire who sucks in all the good Bogies, has got another of my favourite Bogie/Belgian (yes, you know who you are..).. to the matresssssss

In the meantime...This is another great belgian.. :-*

That is a great one Rosa - do you have it?
Chris

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2014, 02:47:11 AM »
Very nice indeed Chris.You struck gold with that one!

Anthony

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2014, 09:27:05 PM »
Time to revisit old threads as our collecting habits may change.  At least mine have.

This was my "Do Not Collect" list in 2010.

US 1/2 sheets
US inserts

US window cards
Italian Locandinas
Australian Daybills
French small posters
Japanese Chirashis
Spanish & Argentinian posters
Belgian posters
Yugoslavian posters

With my collecting needs ever changing, I have added 1/2 sheets, inserts and Belgian posters to my wants.  I still haven't warmed up to the rest of the list for various reasons, but who knows, maybe one day.

T
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:50:02 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »
Welcome aboard in collecting Half sheets, inserts and Belgians.

Too much great stuff there to be ignored there.

More will follow.  ;)

Embrace it all!  ;D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2014, 11:20:25 PM »
Yeah, it took me a while to get used to Belgian posters.  My main problems with them were size (too small) and credits (too much writing, titles in French, Flemish and English).  But the art can be exquisite, so I caved.  The rest of the list, I honestly don't see myself ever collecting it.  It comes down to artistic preference.  More for others, as they say ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2014, 11:46:20 PM »
A lot of beauty still to be had in ...

Italian Locandinas
Australian Daybills
French small posters

The day will come!  8)

Mirosae

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2014, 04:46:11 AM »
Welcome aboard in collecting Half sheets, inserts and Belgians.

Too much great stuff there to be ignored there.

More will follow.  ;)

Embrace it all!  ;D

So true. If the artwork speaks to you....just go for it.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2014, 08:25:10 AM »
Yeah, it took me a while to get used to Belgian posters.  My main problems with them were size (too small) and credits (too much writing, titles in French, Flemish and English).  But the art can be exquisite, so I caved.  The rest of the list, I honestly don't see myself ever collecting it.  It comes down to artistic preference.  More for others, as they say ;)
T
I agree re belgians, they're fairly cheap and easy to frame and display.  I like the German A1s more, and can live with the French med posters...I guess that means the belgians are caught in between France and Germany as always  ;)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
Time to revisit old threads as our collecting habits may change.  At least mine have.

This was my "Do Not Collect" list in 2010.

US 1/2 sheets
US inserts

US window cards
Italian Locandinas
Australian Daybills
French small posters
Japanese Chirashis
Belgian posters
Yugoslavian posters

With my collecting needs ever changing, I have added 1/2 sheets, inserts and Belgian posters to my wants.  I still haven't warmed up to the rest of the list for various reasons, but who knows, maybe one day.

T

Be sure to take everything T says with a grain of salt.  Here are examples of all of the categories he proclaims not to collect -- and there were many to choose from.  The only thing I absolutely couldn't find on his site is Japanese Chirashi.  ;D

Window Card (only one that I could find though)

Locandina (more than a few)

Aussie Daybills (I stopped counting at 15...)

Small French (a couple)

Spanish 1-sheet (plenty)

Spanish lobby set (lots)

Argentinian 1-sheet (a few)

Yugoslavians (a few)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
Be sure to take everything T says with a grain of salt.  Here are examples of all of the categories he proclaims not to collect -- and there were many to choose from.  The only thing I absolutely couldn't find on his site is Japanese Chirashi.  ;D

Window Card (only one that I could find though)

Locandina (more than a few)

Aussie Daybills (I stopped counting at 15...)

Small French (a couple)

Spanish 1-sheet (plenty)

Spanish lobby set (lots)

Argentinian 1-sheet (a few)

Yugoslavians (a few)

Easy boy ;)

Window card...  1 and only, and I guess we can all see why.
Locandina...  Bardot.  Doesn't mean I collect them.  I'm just a completist.  I own 10.
Daybills...  Spielberg, Eastwood, maybe Bardot.  Again, specific areas.  I own 16, most of them Spielberg.
Small French...  ALL gifts.  I hate them.
Spanish...  Bardot.  I own 14.
Spanish LCs...  Kinski.  13 sets total.
Argentinian...  Vitti.  I own 11 total.
Yugoslavian...  This one was a gift (why, I don't know, but I keep everything.)  I own 5!

So that's 70 posters I do not collect.  

Considering I have more than 800 Japanese B2s and B1s, more than 1000 large French, at least 500 large Italian, a 100+ Polish, etc.   You do the math.

And btw, this is not an attack on people who do collect what I do not collect.  It's just my personal taste.

T
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:27:22 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2014, 01:30:47 PM »
Oh, and Chirashis...  I actually have a pile of at least 1000 of them.  But I have not included them to my collection since I do not collect them.  They were all free and sent along with other stuff.

T
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:31:52 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »
If a thousand of something is considered that which you do not collect, then it stands to reason I do not collect Mr Bond.

I knew I was going to have something of note to say on this thread...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2014, 03:51:42 PM »
If a thousand of something is considered that which you do not collect, then it stands to reason I do not collect Mr Bond.

It's all about perspective.  Thierry sees 1,000 as a "pile".  Some others would see 1,000 as a "collection" 
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »

Well, I don't know if you collect Bond posters or not, but I would assume that if you do, you actually want to collect them, and not just stack them up because you happened to get them for free.  I call it collecting va hoarding, which I am guilty of with the chirashis.

T
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:57:49 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2014, 04:09:24 PM »
It's all about perspective.  Thierry sees 1,000 as a "pile".  Some others would see 1,000 as a "collection" 

Many would even consider the "70 posters you do not collect" a collection :)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2014, 06:47:50 PM »
Well, I don't know if you collect Bond posters or not, .....

Clearly, I should make yet more noise on this forum...

.......I call it collecting va hoarding, which I am guilty of with the chirashis.

Fair play.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2014, 07:02:22 PM »
Clearly, I should make yet more noise on this forum...

It's probably more my issue than yours.  I don't really pay attention to what other people collect.  I have enough trouble keeping my own collection on track.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2014, 07:03:42 PM »

Okay, are we done here?  Can we go back to the original question?  I can't be the only one who doesn't collect specific posters.  Are all of you fine people collecting everything that comes your way?

T
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:04:00 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2014, 08:10:32 PM »
From the first page of this thread... 

I collect everything, in every size, and from every country if I like the image!  Even the stuff most people avoid like the plague like Yugos... I normally wouldn't collect them, but I loved the Golgo 13 and Walking Dead posters so I bought them.  Simple as that.

Locandinas, I have two.  I collect big posters (I have a French 2-panel) and small posters (a midget WC and my new Chirashi collection!). 

I do love to get country of origin material, which I think was what first helped expand my tastes.

My tastes haven't changed even 4 and a half+ years on.  If anything, I've probably added another dozen countries/styles to my collection.  For instance, I didn't own a single Hungarian back then... now I have 500+ :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »

Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2014, 10:22:14 PM »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2014, 11:06:24 PM »
Okay, are we done here?  Can we go back to the original question?  I can't be the only one who doesn't collect specific posters.  Are all of you fine people collecting everything that comes your way?

T

I will also never collect Australian daybills, and probably some other stuff.

Won't collect vintage chirashi either, but I too have a pile of free ones from trips to Japan and given to me.
The new ones (80s onward mainly) that are pretty much exactly like the B2 posters I find pretty boring. A lot of the older ones where they have original designs are interesting, but not only do I think most are overpriced, they can all be reproduced too easily.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com