Author Topic: What do you NOT collect?  (Read 42078 times)

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
Re: What do you NOT collect?
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »
Most of the time, I find foreign material on a specific movie way more interesting that the original stuff, especially with US posters. 

Agreed, foreign movie posters are a MILLION times more interesting then US posters. Its much more creative in my opinion.

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
Looking forward to that... :D  though I'd hardly call it a horror film....still these young'ns are posting all kinds.. 

Yeah, the movie does defy easy genre categorization.  It's sort of a musical/mystery/horror.

Still, even if you don't consider the original Wicker Man to be horror, I'm sure you'll agree the Nic Cage remake is truly horrific  ;)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2014, 02:22:51 AM »
I love the original so much, I couldn't/won't watch the Cage version...Still haven't, never will.

I'm like that with a few films, The Omen, The Italian Job to name a couple.
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2014, 01:58:47 PM »
Many would even consider the "70 posters you do not collect" a collection :)

Check it out, Sherlock, I bought another Argentinian poster.  I now own 12!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
Check it out, Sherlock, I bought another Argentinian poster.  I now own 12!!!

T

Better stop buying nicer ones like this, otherwise you'll have to strike Args from your list!   :o

Nice pick up!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2014, 11:00:45 PM »
^ ebay or the one I sent to Bruce and 'outed'?  ;)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2014, 12:25:36 AM »
Ebay.  I didn't see it at Bruce's.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2014, 12:48:06 AM »
I had one on watch on my ebay too, nice pick up T..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2014, 10:38:07 PM »
Some nice US posters :

TX Chainsaw
Jaws
Batman '66 (love the mix of pics and art)

so not everything is bad  ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »
Revisiting an old thread...

We all collect different stuff, which makes the hobby so interesting.  Seeing what other people collect has changed my mind on a few things, or comforted my opinion on others.

In 2010, I said that I didn't collect...

US 1/2 sheets

US inserts
US window cards
Italian Locandinas
Australian Daybills
French small posters
Japanese Chirashis
Spanish posters
Belgian posters
Yugoslavian posters

Tastes change, so I crossed out a few categories, which I now collect a bit, although not as much as others.

I'm adding to the list

- Posters of movies I haven't seen
- Anything prior to 1940 - 80 years of collecting is plenty, and I have not seen any of those movies, or very very few.
- Linenbacked posters (I may have it done on really damaged and hard to find posters, but I will not buy it unless I know for sure I cannot find it folded)
- 30x40in US posters (I hate the format, always have... the huge white borders on the side really bother me)
- Printers proof posters (I don't understand why people like oversized posters with bar codes)
- Russian posters
- Sexploitation

T
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:59:35 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2020, 08:39:45 PM »
Interesting list.  I share you lack of interest in most of the items on your list (WC, locandinas, daybills, Japanese, Yugoslavian and Russian posters), but I do collect the occasional French small poster when the art differs from the large format (as is the case with those great early Hammer posters designed by Guy Gerard Noel for example).  I also try to focus exclusively on movies that I have seen, but I make the occasional exception to that rule (in which case I try my best to track down said movie after purchasing the poster).  I share your distaste of linenbacked posters, apart from the occasional slip for a large format when a folded copy is hard to find.  I also don't care for inserts (that format is too damn narrow and seem anti-cinematic to me, lol!) and I don't collect any Swedish or Polish paper.

I'm surprised you've seen few movies prior to 1940, as a lot of them are easily available these days, and there are some truly great ones: the first batch of Uni horror obviously, but also the Pre-Code era and the great screwball comedies of the 1930s to name a few.  You're missing out on some classic, man!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2020, 10:33:52 PM »
When I say small French posters, I mean the recent ones, the affichette, not the 60s affiche moyenne.  I totally agree with you there, since most of them were different from the grande affiche.  Especially with the Grinssons or Soubies.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2020, 10:44:35 PM »
I'm surprised you've seen few movies prior to 1940, as a lot of them are easily available these days, and there are some truly great ones: the first batch of Uni horror obviously, but also the Pre-Code era and the great screwball comedies of the 1930s to name a few.  You're missing out on some classic, man!

I don't know.  Lack of interest, probably.  I've never liked silent and the very old ones bore me.  Don't take me wrong though, there are great exceptions.  Lang's M is my all time fav.  But generally speaking, not my thing.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2020, 10:54:59 PM »
For movie posters, if I don't think it's beautiful or cool in some way, I don't collect it.  Even if I really like a movie, I wouldn't collect the posters if I didn't like the image. While I enjoy seeing beautiful modern and contemporary movie posters and understand why many collectors seek them out, I really rarely collect them.  I did go on a little Thai painted  poster binge when I lived there. So, collecting can be situational as well, eh?!  Okie

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2020, 07:52:58 PM »
I'm with you Okie, I wouldn't collect a poster for a movie that I really like if I don't find the art beautiful or interesting in some ways.  The poster has to have some sort of visual appeal for me.  I also don't collect anything too recent either: my totally arbitrary cut-off date is mid-1980s, anything after that is of no interest to me.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2020, 09:37:11 PM »
I tend to cast a wide net so I'm not adverse to collecting from different countries but I don't care for Belgian posters since they're too small for me to display. There's some nice art on some of them but not interesting enough for me to pursue them. Of the American paper, 24 sheets and 6 sheets are nothing more than expensive wall paper. Window cards fall into the same category as Belgian posters. Pressbooks for me are only good for seeing what the posters look like.