Author Topic: Posters You've Given As Gifts To Non-Collectors  (Read 50205 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Posters You've Given As Gifts To Non-Collectors
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »
He's a really big Simpson's fan, but he also always loved the painting this poster was based on. Apparently he had an opportunity to buy an original years an years ago (for a great price), but passed on it and regretted it ever since. We figured this would be the perfect combination. We got a few other Simpson posters for other fans in the family too.

An ORIGINAL of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks?  That painting is 8 feet long and is hanging in the Art Institute of Chicago.  Has been since the 1940s.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »
An ORIGINAL of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks?  That painting is 8 feet long and is hanging in the Art Institute of Chicago.  Has been since the 1940s.

Ah yes, memories.  I worked at the Art Institute for 2 summers in my early 20s.  I do remember it vividly.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »
Very cool James
David

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »

That is my understanding, but don't quote me on it. He said he could have picked up an "original painting", but I don't know the details or the price (other than it would have been a steal). He might have been mistaken on the authenticity, but regardless, he always loved the painting and wanted one.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »

One of the best Simpsons posters, IMO.   thumbup

Charlie

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
An ORIGINAL of Edward Hopper's Nighthawks?  That painting is 8 feet long and is hanging in the Art Institute of Chicago.  Has been since the 1940s.

I saw this when it traveled to the National Gallery (lucky to be in DC at the same time) but from what I remember is that it was bought directly from Hopper or his agent/gallery by The Art Institute.  I doubt this is the one he had the opportunity to buy...  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:01:46 PM by Charlie »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 03:51:18 AM »
I went to my ex wife's house a couple of weeks ago and low and behold the Mary poppins daybill I had framed for a valentines gift nearly 20 years ago was hanging on the wall.
And she is very unsentimental, so I was surprised (pleasantly).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:52:00 AM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 01:22:19 PM »
I've given cheap stuff away, but one of my friends trumps anything I have ever given away ten times over:

Pierce Brosnan (back when he was still Bond) wasn't a collector of film posters, but my friend had spoke with him on a number of occasions and found out he was a huge fan of Goldfinger, so being the nice, generous (and slightly mad) sort, he gave Brosnan a Goldfinger UK quad...
...Yes, that's right - GAVE HIM A GOLDFINGER UK QUAD!!!!!!!!

Makes me feel puke2
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
Makes you sick? Why? Seems a nice thing to do.

My first eBay sale ever in 1999 was a hills have eyes daybill, this was before PayPal, and buyers would send me western union money orders. The buyer was in USA and he asked if I would send straight away and he promised he would send the money order. The reason is he wanted to give the poster to someone who needed it, and he was seeing him in a couple of weeks. Anyways I did. I recieved in the mail a photo of my poster being gifted to Michael Berryman, the star of hills have eyes, apparently at the time he didn't have a poster for the film.
Anyways I was very happy and kept the photo.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 06:44:55 AM »
Makes you sick? Why? Seems a nice thing to do.

It's a figure of speech, Ari, as in "Hey, I wish that was me!".
Maybe it's a UK thing. Pretty sure the UK lot can back me up on that.

I've met Michael Berryman - very nice man.
I wonder if he still has your poster!? Would be cool if he did!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »
I sent this OS to my 13 yr old nephew for his birthday this past Oct. He may be on the road to poster collecting, but he also loves horror films, too (as does his dad (my brother) ).

Krampus (2015); US Adv. OS:

-Jeff

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2015, 10:08:14 PM »
Am I the only one ready to go and see this film? I mean we have been talking about how cool the poster is for at least a couple months now!!
This Space For Rent!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2015, 10:17:43 PM »
Am I the only one ready to go and see this film? I mean we have been talking about how cool the poster is for at least a couple months now!!

That's the beauty of any well designed poster - (it catches your eye and gets people talking about the flicker, well before it opens).   thumbsup.gif

I know I want to check it out, too, Chris. No doubt about that.

-Jeff

guest4955

'Tis the season! Movie posters you've given as gifts....
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2017, 11:12:01 PM »

So the common belief in MPC World is that everybody else disdains MPs, so best to keep your interest in the hobby "under the radar."

Not IMO and IME (experience). It's like everything else, share but don't overshare. Lotsa peeps complimented on and discussed at length the posters in my apt. and in my office.

Anyways, that brings us to the topic du jour: When/why/what have you purchased an MP for non-collectors and how did they like it? (Or when have you bought an MP for others who gave it to a 3rd party?)

I'll start things off....

I always disliked my birth name Melvin. I am the 4th Melvin in the family and my grandfather's uncle was the first. (He semi-famously prosecuted the Scottsboro Boys, which led to crim. defendants being entitled to gov-paid attorneys). I went by "Mel" after age 18.

Anyways I like the name much better nowadays and even bought some "Melvin" posters for myself:

But my father is also named Melvin//Mel so I gave my step-mother this half-sheet MP as a gift:

Did she like it? Let her speak...

Beautiful Poster!

Jun 11, 2017

Thank you so much for the beautiful poster!  That was so thoughtful of you!  I'm going to hang it in the kitchen, the red will go well.... I do love Mel and Melvin and that's a perfect poster! I will treasure it forever.  What a perfect gift.....

Love,
Peggy

Even my old man liked it, and he watches a movie every five years. He Googled Donald O'Conner and told me all about him, life-long entertainer, used to work in circuses etc.

I'll add some more gift stories in a week but your turn now...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: 'Tis the season! Movie posters you've given as gifts....
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 08:06:56 AM »
I've given several.  I gave a BTTF 1 to my son in law.  He had the other 2 and couldn't afford the first one.

My kids have gotten various fantasy ans sci-fy titles.

My sister got a Song of Norway insert, a Bye Bye Birdie half sheet and an Alice in Wonderland lobby.  I also have some Mama Mia original storyboard drawings for her this Christmas.

(In a rush, so no images today)
-Jay-

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 08:30:49 AM »
I have given a;

1. Commercial poster for SPECTRE to my nephew.  It is framed and up!
2. Vintage TC for Wuthering Heights, to my fiance which I museum framed and is up.
3. Vintage Mexican LC for Rebecca, to my fiance which I museum framed and is up.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »
I have given a;

1. Commercial poster for SPECTRE to my nephew.  It is framed and up!
2. Vintage TC for Wuthering Heights, to my fiance which I museum framed and is up.
3. Vintage Mexican LC for Rebecca, to my fiance which I museum framed and is up.

Simon, do you have a pic of the Wuthering Heights TC by any chance? I love that move (if you're meaning the 1939 version with Merle Oberon & Sir Olivier).  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:31:53 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 06:09:24 AM »

Cheers sir.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »
Several years ago I gave my sister this Italian 1p for Truffaut's The Bride Wore Black (1968).  She doesn't collect movie posters, but she loves Truffaut films and I thought she would dig the artwork (she did, and so did her husband and kids).  I had it framed and it's still on their wall to this day, even after a few moves between France and Canada.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »

Cheers sir.

Very nice, Simon. What year is this card from, if I might ask?

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »
Several years ago I gave my sister this Italian 1p for Truffaut's The Bride Wore Black (1968).  She doesn't collect movie posters, but she loves Truffaut films and I thought she would dig the artwork (she did, and so did her husband and kids).  I had it framed and it's still on their wall to this day, even after a few moves between France and Canada.

Lovely imagery, for sure.

Who did you have the framing done by, Ben?

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »
Jeff, I honestly can't remember who did the framing, I had it done several years ago in Paris where my sister lives, so my memory is a bit hazy.  All I recall is that they did a pretty good.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »
Thanks, Ben. I thought maybe you had it done here (east coast) when you mentioned that she had lived in Canada.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
Very nice, Simon. What year is this card from, if I might ask?

'44.  So, it is an RR card.

But lovely, nonetheless.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »

'44.  So, it is an RR card.

But lovely, nonetheless.

I agree and thanks.

The imagery is fantastic!

-Jeff