Author Topic: Will older movies be forgotten?  (Read 41423 times)

Mirosae

Re: Will older movies be forgotten?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 01:38:13 PM »
I don't buy to sell. Tho clearly I hope I am not buying rubbish, er..  eyeroll

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »
What you need to think is, if no one knows Tarantino, or cares what films he made now. Who's going to buy your Pulp Fiction Poster
in the future...  :o

I don't care, Paul.  I buy to collect and collecting makes me happy.  That's the extent of my vision.  What happens after that...  It can all go up in flames, as far as I'm concerned.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
What you need to think is, if no one knows Tarantino, or cares what films he made now. Who's going to buy your Pulp Fiction Poster
in the future...  :o

Yep, which is why those cowboy 1 sheets that used to go for big bucks are now fish wrappers.  Ditto musicals
-Jay-

Through the Stones

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:34 PM »
Am I sad we don't remember the worlds greatest Jousters?

What!?  How could you possibly forget that famous squire of the garrison of Toury castle?  Spring of 1380?  Gauvain Micaille?  C'mon... he was mentioned in the Chronique du bon duc Loys de Bourbon for crying out loud!  That's like the Sports Illustrated of the mid to late 1300's.  Hot magazine back then... anyhow, his famous quote?  Went down in the history books it did and I can tell you that Joachim Cator thought very differently about good ol' Gauvain after that spear to the thigh he took...

'Is there among you any gentleman who for the love of his lady is willing to try with me some feat of arms? If there should be any such, here I am, quite ready to sally forth completely armed and mounted, to tilt three courses with the lance, to give three blows with the battle axe, and three strokes with the dagger. Now look, you English, if there be none among you in love.'

Man those were the days.  But I digress.  Carry on, er, sally forth all.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 11:34:48 PM »
^ is funny . ;D
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 05:15:07 AM »
What's a movie?

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 05:35:35 AM »
Lol, it's like, ya no a kinda QT txt bt Lngr & like totes bore ROTFLMAO :) <3
An Error Has Occurred!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 05:41:53 AM »
indeed whats a movie... I haven't used my bluray player since I bought it 6 or 7 years ago. Went to play a new Bluray (Samsara) and it does didly squat (nothing). I guess it needs a firmware upgrade since I bought it back then

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 06:02:28 AM »
I still haven't even seen a bluray played.
Bt if I had a player, it would be used daily.
I do have three DVD players, one is a VHS/DVD combo.
At least three super 8mm projectors, gathering dust.
A hard disk/DVD recorder.
And a borrowed television set.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:04:46 AM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »
I have 5 Blu-ray players, and one or all get used every every day, but I guess it depends on how much you enjoy film.

If we're doing lists, I have:-

5 Blu ray players
3 dvd players, one a recorder
1 portable dvd player
2 VHS players
1 Betamax player
6 Super 8mm projectors
2 duel (super/standard) 8mm projectors
1 9.5mm projector
11 16mm projectors
And two digital projectors, one full HD

And a partridge in a pear tree... :D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
I have 5 Blu-ray players, and one or all get used every every day, but I guess it depends on how much you enjoy film.

If we're doing lists, I have:-

5 Blu ray players
3 dvd players, one a recorder
1 portable dvd player
2 VHS players
1 Betamax player
6 Super 8mm projectors
2 duel (super/standard) 8mm projectors
1 9.5mm projector
11 16mm projectors
And two digital projectors, one full HD

And a partridge in a pear tree... :D

What, no laserdisc?  I couldn't live without my laserdisc player as I still have several hundred titles I can't/haven't upgraded. 
So my list is
1 - SVHS VCR
2 Laserdisc players
3 BluRay players
2 HD-DVD players (couldn't resist those $1 titles during the closeout)
and a lot of misc stuff in various forms, like BR players in laptops, DVD players in TV sets, etc.
-Jay-

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »
What, no laserdisc?  I couldn't live without my laserdisc player as I still have several hundred titles I can't/haven't upgraded. 
So my list is
1 - SVHS VCR
2 Laserdisc players
3 BluRay players
2 HD-DVD players (couldn't resist those $1 titles during the closeout)
and a lot of misc stuff in various forms, like BR players in laptops, DVD players in TV sets, etc.
You know i`ve never viewed a laserdisc,these things where outside of the family budget...
How good where they compared to beta-max and vhs?

Stew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
You know i`ve never viewed a laserdisc,these things where outside of the family budget...
How good where they compared to beta-max and vhs?

Stew

Consider, too, Stew, that the quality depends on the source material. I have some laserdics of some of the Universal horror films that were made from a pre-restoration print or the new, re-mastered versions. Dings, scratches or jumps that were on the 35MM print are present on the discs, too.

The quality was such that sometimes the film flaws were even more evident, if a poor(er) print was used to create the disc.  8)

-Jeff

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 03:24:40 PM »

The quality was such that sometimes the film flaws were even more evident, if a poor(er) print was used to create the disc.  8)
Sometimes when i watch a poor transfer..i enjoy the movie more...wierd

Stew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »
Sometimes when i watch a poor transfer..i enjoy the movie more...wierd

Stew

Me too..   thumbup and sometimes, that is all that's available.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2013, 05:46:49 PM »
Consider, too, Stew, that the quality depends on the source material. I have some laserdics of some of the Universal horror films that were made from a pre-restoration print or the new, re-mastered versions. Dings, scratches or jumps that were on the 35MM print are present on the discs, too.

That really isn't fair.  The quality of the original source material is irrelevant to the quality of the media.  Face it, VHS had exactly the same problems and then some.  Also consider that the studios were not putting a lot of effort into restorations at that time.

To answer Stewart's question, I place Laserdisc well above VHS, but below DVD.  It was a 480i analog format with the chroma signal integrated with luminance, just like broadcast.  SVHS would exceed it in color rendering, but not resolution.  Most later discs had digital soundtracks, and some would have DTS.  Others had Dolby Digital, but these required an outboard AC-3 adapter that is unobtanium.  Thus the audio is "good for its time", but not up to modern standards.  It is mostly dolby pro-logic surround.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 05:58:25 PM »
That really isn't fair.  The quality of the original source material is irrelevant to the quality of the media.  Face it, VHS had exactly the same problems and then some.  Also consider that the studios were not putting a lot of effort into restorations at that time.

To answer Stewart's question, I place Laserdisc well above VHS, but below DVD.  It was a 480i analog format with the chroma signal integrated with luminance, just like broadcast.  SVHS would exceed it in color rendering, but not resolution.  Most later discs had digital soundtracks, and some would have DTS.  Others had Dolby Digital, but these required an outboard AC-3 adapter that is unobtanium.  Thus the audio is "good for its time", but not up to modern standards.  It is mostly dolby pro-logic surround.

Correct, the studios were not putting any real effort into restorations at that time.

My point was that the better image quality on laserdic was such that these issues could sometimes be more readily seen that on VHS, especially if a VHS transfer was not of the highest standard.

My line of thinking was equating it to the sound quality on CDs. Because CD sound quality is so much better than vinyl or cassette tape, CDs can reveal limitations of the original source material. Even more so when material has been digitally remastered. That is why this disclaimer was very often found on CD cases.

-Jeff

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »
I bought a laserdisc today - I don't even have a player! It was cheap and I love the cover art.

Mirosae

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
I never had a laser disc. But have watched them and agree quality was at that time better than VHS and below DVD.

My issue is sometimes the opposite, i like watching restored versions, blu rays but sometimes it ruins the film for me. I cannot watch GWTW on blry, it is just like watching a painting. Yes on DVD as all the painted images look just right.

The African Queen and The Quiet Man  blu rays are perfect bl ray restorations. You can see every single detail,  in my op are worth the money and the time.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »
I never went laser disc, didn't like the thought of changing sides part way through... Though I did buy Wayne's Alamo on laser-disc as it's the only complete version available. Just need a cheap player to watch it...     eyeroll             

Mirosae

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
didn't know that.about Alamo.. and I am a HUGE John Wayne fan. you must be able to find a cheap player on eBay or Amazon.. worth watching shethinks

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2013, 06:44:48 PM »
I still haven't even seen a bluray played.
Bt if I had a player, it would be used daily.

Ari you Greek wannabe, just but one already.   ;)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
I know the fellow who runs the Wayne society, he was telling me about it. Over twenty mins not released before or since.

I keep looking every now and then, but still haven't picked one up, and I'm dieing to see it in all it's glory. It's the full Todd AO roadshow version...   may have another look this weekend.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2013, 07:39:36 PM »
Ari you Greek wannabe, just but one already.   ;)

Yeah I know, I haven't had the cash spare,  but I will soon, and down to $80 for all region players here now, getting cheaper and cheaper.
As for DVD players soon you'll get a player free when you buy a movie.
An Error Has Occurred!

Mirosae

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »
Maybe you know this, but BE CAREFUL with all region Blu Ray players. Most of them can only play all region DVD but the blu ray itself is not all region. I know that for a fact (yes, bought one had to give it away. useless),