Author Topic: Vintage paper - going up or down?  (Read 23896 times)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Re: Vintage paper - going up or down?
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2012, 08:34:17 AM »
That's the New Zealand rating. Stone was banned there in 1974 when it first came out. Not sure when that poster was used, maybe 1975 or '76. It's the only over 20 stamp I've seen. All others are 18.
The film has reached cult status here in Aust, and the posters make more than Mad Max. Truth is it contains some of the worst acting you will ever see! At least in parts. The bikes make up for it though!  8)

It's a cool stamp. Someone should do a book on NZ censorship, with examples like Chris's heavily painted House on the Haunted Hill.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »
It's a cool stamp. Someone should do a book on NZ censorship, with examples like Chris's heavily painted House on the Haunted Hill.

Correction - Chris's amazingly restored and beautiful HoHH ;)
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2012, 10:16:21 AM »
Show off!
Matias

ozcinemagic

« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2012, 07:12:54 PM »

They went nuts on some posters. I had quite a few with heavy black outs, but I gave them away as they just don't sell. Final Exam was one that comes to mind. They got the big texta out on that, almost as savage as HOHH.

Info here:
http://www.moviemem.com/blog/MOVIE_POSTER_NEWS/79/

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2012, 10:59:58 PM »
Stone is hilarious because of the bikes they ride.
outlaw bikers on Kawasaki's or something.
Even "Gods Garbage" here in Albany would beat the shit out of anyone who tried that.
I "like" the film, but really its pretty crap.
Actually "Biker" films in general suck IMHO.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2012, 11:19:12 PM »
Stone is hilarious because of the bikes they ride.
outlaw bikers on Kawasaki's or something.
Even "Gods Garbage" here in Albany would beat the shit out of anyone who tried that.
I "like" the film, but really its pretty crap.
Actually "Biker" films in general suck IMHO.

You're just upset because up until recently you didn't have enough arse to sit on a bike ;)
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »
I have a kwaka

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2012, 11:39:34 PM »
well when you become an outlaw Biker Steve, then I will have a problem with that.
 :)

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

ozcinemagic

« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2012, 12:36:05 AM »
A guy I know had one of the Gravediggers denim jackets from the movie. He told me a collector in Japan paid him $6k for it.
When you look on the other style poster the bikes coming down the highway have sequential number plates. AB-120, AB-121 etc.
Wish I'd bought a few back in the day. Good Z900s are pulling $20K+.

Australia in the 1970s!!  :o

ozcinemagic

« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2012, 12:48:57 AM »
This one >>

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
They went nuts on some posters. I had quite a few with heavy black outs, but I gave them away as they just don't sell. Final Exam was one that comes to mind. They got the big texta out on that, almost as savage as HOHH.

Info here:
http://www.moviemem.com/blog/MOVIE_POSTER_NEWS/79/

Thanks Mark, I read that a while ago on MoPo. They truly went mad sometimes. Chris's HoHH is quite an example!
Matias

ozcinemagic

« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2012, 12:35:36 AM »
Couldn't help noticing that Bruce's preview for the Mini / Major auction is plastered with vintage posters. Same as the cover on just about every HA catalogue.
And people are losing interest in vintage paper?
Got me baffled.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2012, 10:01:25 AM »
Couldn't help noticing that Bruce's preview for the Mini / Major auction is plastered with vintage posters. Same as the cover on just about every HA catalogue.
Got me baffled.

Nope, just the dorks who post here.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2012, 10:04:51 AM »
I just noticed Mickey is poking holes in the cheese with his poker

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »
I just noticed Mickey is poking holes in the cheese with his poker

Just now?  :D

Cmon its Louie!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2012, 10:12:40 AM »

Dork and proud!

Case in point. Check out this beauty I picked up last year. It is sooo bad but I just cant help myself.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2012, 10:17:36 AM »

Not this vintage paper. Id love any of it but sadly I wont even get a sniff.

I think those people might be talking about stuff people buy just cause its old.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2012, 11:49:28 AM »

Only the coolest guys such as Louie D. like only vintage stuff.  wynk

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »
Only the coolest guys such as Louie D. like only vintage stuff.  wynk

No, there's a lot of people who like vintage stuff and are waiting for the next generation to go nuts over Star Wars and Top Gun crap so the prices for the older stuff will go down and then we can add stuff to our collection.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »
No, there's a lot of people who like vintage stuff and are waiting for the next generation to go nuts over Star Wars and Top Gun crap so the prices for the older stuff will go down and then we can add stuff to our collection.

Sounds like a decent theory, the only problem is that unless you have a crystal ball, there's not way to know whether the stuff you're looking for will increase or decrease in price as time goes on.  Not to mention the fact that "a long time can go by without one..coming up for sale", and a lot of stuff may never appear for sale, at any price.  Good luck in your vintage quest.  thumbup

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2012, 03:02:57 PM »
When I started collecting, back around 71/2  prices on some pieces I wanted were well out of my pocket money range. When I got my first job, around 77. I thought I would easily be able to afford some great stuff, but No....Prices had crept up so they were still out of range.  As an example, I was at a Film Fair in 78, I had just picked up 3 Bond Quads, Diamonds are forever, You only Live twice(style c), and live and let die, for £18, which was well within budget. The poster I really wanted at the Fair was The Walking Dead, a 1940 re-release of the Karloff film, which was priced at £200......In 30 odd years it's still in that too much zone...Will I be able to afford it in the Next 20 years.......

I doubt it very much...     And I rest my case... waiting1
It's more than a Hobby...

ozcinemagic

« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2012, 08:37:38 PM »
When I started collecting, back around 71/2  prices on some pieces I wanted were well out of my pocket money range. When I got my first job, around 77. I thought I would easily be able to afford some great stuff, but No....Prices had crept up so they were still out of range.  As an example, I was at a Film Fair in 78, I had just picked up 3 Bond Quads, Diamonds are forever, You only Live twice(style c), and live and let die, for £18, which was well within budget. The poster I really wanted at the Fair was The Walking Dead, a 1940 re-release of the Karloff film, which was priced at £200......In 30 odd years it's still in that too much zone...Will I be able to afford it in the Next 20 years.......

I doubt it very much...     And I rest my case... waiting1

In 34 years it got even more desirable, Paul. Such is the way of it ...

Pancho

« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2013, 10:24:58 PM »
I have a couple of points to add:

1. As a horror fan, I've found that a combination of the internet plus uncut, restored Blu-Rays and DVDs of older movie titles has served as a great gateway into older films. Granted, someone still has to want to watch them, but I believe that many of the older films are more accessible today than ever before and therefore can be seen by a wider audience than ever before. Oddities and Z grade trash films that were once classed as obscure are now easily purchased, so I feel that this may help keep the hobby rolling along.

2. Many collectors covet items that the average person would be amazed about - matchboxes, salt and pepper shakers, medieval pottery - so I don't believe that the relative time gap between a movie's release and now necessarily equates to lesser demand. Are there a lot of people who would want a daybill for 'The Sinful Dwarf'? Probably not - but there will be some, just as there were 10 years ago and just as there will be in 10 years from now.

3. Price will always be related to demand. Time won't always automatically equal price rises. I've got daybills I bought 20 years ago that you could get for the same price today. With my horror collection I'm always after what's rare, not necessarily what's famous. I've had what I class as the key posters in my collection for years, nowdays I'm more excited to see if I can find 'Black Belly of the Tarantula' than 'Suspiria'.

If it can be classed as collectible, you can bet there'll be someone who'll collect it.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »
What year is the cut off for vintage paper again?    ;D

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2013, 02:26:57 AM »
What year is the cut off for vintage paper again?    ;D

Usually the year before the date of the poster you just purchased...
David