Author Topic: Movie poster authentication instruction videos  (Read 6737 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Movie poster authentication instruction videos
« on: June 23, 2012, 05:05:30 PM »
Thinking about posting a series of authentication instruction videos on specific posters on YouTube and/or moviepostercollectors.com.

Here's the first video I put together:

http://www.posternirvana.com/Temp/Authenticating-Star-Wars-Style-C.mov

You'll need Quicktime installed on your computer to view it.

Any constructive comments welcome.

P.S. You don't realize how fat you've become until you see yourself on camera.  Need to lose the 10 pounds I've put on in the last few months....

Charlie

Re: Movie poster authentication instruction videos
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »
Thinking about posting a series of authentication instruction videos on specific posters on YouTube and/or moviepostercollectors.com.

Here's the first video I put together:

http://www.posternirvana.com/Temp/Authenticating-Star-Wars-Style-C.mov

You'll need Quicktime installed on your computer to view it.

Any constructive comments welcome.

P.S. You don't realize how fat you've become until you see yourself on camera.  Need to lose the 10 pounds I've put on in the last few months....

Youtube...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »
Wonderful, Mel. If you upload it to YouTube, and let me know, I will post a link to it in my weekly email club (if you want, of course), so 7,400+ collectors will have a chance to see it (and since there are a healthy percentage of females there, unlike here, it is barely possible you could connect with the future Mrs. Mel that way). And what could be better than finding a better half who is a collector too?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »
Great start, Mel.
More close-ups and Youtube it!
 cheers

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »
Good start and well presented.  A couple of points:

First, you refer to the poster on YOUR left and right.  While you are correct, the poster on your right is on the viewer's left.  Somewhat confusing.

Second, you promised to show closeup detail on the laser glow, but didn't do that.

Finally, you need a close.  The video ends very abruptly.
-Jay-

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
It`s a pity the TV thing didn`t work out Mel,just watched the video,you seem very comfortable on camera.
If you do more of these it would be great if you didn`t disappear from view when presenting.
The only comparison i can make is weather reports,remember to stay within frame at all times.
Very enjoyable.

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:59:12 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and comments compadres. 

The revised Star Wars C authentication video - including the gas cloud close-ups and some subtitles - is on YouTube here:

Distinguishing original and bootleg Star Wars Style C movie posters

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aviFYRhSsB0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aviFYRhSsB0</a>

It's not perfectly polished but it's a good start.

I've also uploaded a totally separate introduction video that I ad-libbed about why original movie posters are so important:

Introduction to Distinguishing Original Movie Posters from Fakes, Reprints & Bootlegs

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IQsZuSiNP-E" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IQsZuSiNP-E</a>

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:24:55 PM by erik1925 »

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »
I think it is a great start.  All you really need to polish it off is an opening with mission, some transitional dialogue and an good closing.  You could also add a opening regarding that the video is presented by your website and then close by referencing your website ate the end.  Here are some suggestions...

-OPENING-
"Hi I'm Mel from Movieposter Collectors .com - The foremost blah, blah.  Our/my mission is to inform collectors new and old about the hobby of movie poster collecting.  This is the first video in a series of videos dealing with authentication.  For a newb or newbie as they are referred to, it is often a scary place, the world of movie poster collecting, because it is often frustrating and difficult to be confident that the poster being bought is authentic and original..."

"Today I will be providing an overview on determining the authenticity of a Star Wars theater used movie poster.  When the film was released in 1977 there were three styles of the standard US one sheet Styles A through C.  And you probably didn't know this, but one of the most famous bootlegs in the hobby is the Star Wars Style C US One Sheet.  I am going to teach you how to steer clear of this poster."

There are three main tells of a bootleg and all can be determined by visual inspection.  The three checks are (and I will try to make them easy to remember) 1. "Han's Gas Cloud", 2. "R2D2 Hairy Foot" and 3. "L's Hairy Shoulder"...  So before I show a close up just to summarize there are three tells of the bootleg... 1. "Han's Gas Cloud", 2. "R2D2 Hairy Foot" and 3. "L's Hairy Shoulder"...

1.  han

2.  You may want to discuss what a "hair" is before starting on R2's foot...Now you may ask what is a "Hair"?  Well a hair is a piece of dust or hair that got trapped onto the plates during print making,etc... 

3. hair 2

-CLOSING-

"So again, just remember three things 1. "Han's Gas Cloud", 2. "R2D2 Hairy Foot" and 3. "L's Hairy Shoulder"... and you'll be able to spot this bootleg from "far far away"

Thanks for joining me for this first in a series of authentication videos.  Feel free to visit Movie Poster Collectors.com for additional details on this authentication and other."

-END-

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »
Very well done Mel! thumbup

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 11:24:37 PM »
Can we get some 80s authentication inspired videos too?

Chris

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »
Mel, if I hear from you I will run a link to it in next week's message (this week's has gone out). Otherwise I won't, because I like to get permission before I run someone else's creation.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 05:39:48 AM »
Can we get some 80s authentication inspired videos too?

I was always partial to the Traci Lords exer-vids...

I apologize to our female members.
I am such a pig...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 05:41:08 AM »
maybe you have arnies pumping iron for those that enjoy that sort of thing, especially the parts where he talks about exercise orgasms.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 05:50:26 AM »
Feels good, ya?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
Very well done Mel! thumbup

Definitely a great start.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 09:49:19 AM »
maybe you have arnies pumping iron for those that enjoy that sort of thing, especially the parts where he talks about exercise orgasms.

You are the king of kings Arnold

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »

Some of that comes with age. I have gained a few too many pounds over the last year.

Bruce

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »
Some of that comes with age. I have gained a few too many pounds over the last year.

That is true, but my personal experience is that more of it comes from eating too much and exercising too little!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »
That is true, but my personal experience is that more of it comes from eating too much and exercising too little!

Which comes with age.  :P

You are correct though. Need to get off of my getting fat poster hunting and gawking ass a bit more.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »
the video is fine as is, I know WE get it, I can't help thinking what NON poster collectors would think, laughing at nerds looking at tiny hairs.

Made me laugh, looking in from the outside for a second, and I can only imagine what that TV show would make of our little "world".

good stuff, its sure easier to have told and shown, like this.

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
the video is fine as is, I know WE get it, I can't help thinking what NON poster collectors would think, laughing at nerds looking at tiny hairs.

Nerd and proud.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
great to be a geek.
An Error Has Occurred!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »
Which comes with age.  :P

You are correct though. Need to get off of my getting fat poster hunting and gawking ass a bit more.

Let's face it: Americans are lard-asses.  My extended family is typical, ranging from the morbidly obese to mildly obese (me).  

I'm at 204 pounds about 24% body fat and I need to be less than 190, less than 20% body fat.  My extra body fat unattractively goes straight to my neck and face, so I have to be especially vigilant about staying below 190.  I've just slacked off the running lately, which is the best weight loss exercise because it suppresses appetite, and instead concentrated on swimming, which actually causes weight gain for some reason.

I definitely do not believe weight gain is inevitable as we age, just we become more sedentary.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »

Yeah, I need to emphasize more the money issue.  People are paying top $$$ for these bootlegs and they are worthless.  So it may seem silly but it is important.