Home Theater & Entertainment > General Discussion

70" LED or Projector

<< < (3/3)

jayn_j:

--- Quote from: ddilts399 on July 12, 2017, 08:28:07 AM ---So upgraditis hit again, sold off the 2 year old Samsung JS9500 and bought LG OLED for the living room. These are THE tv to have, what a difference in picture. Blacks make such a difference in tv watching, really didn't think I would see this much difference.  If you dont have a front projector and still going flatscreener, I cannot recommend these enough.

--- End quote ---

Agree.  But mostly because the industry hasn't caught up yet with affordable 4k projectors that can do HDR.  I currently have the Samsung 65" 9100 SERIES. Not OLED, but outstanding LED performance.

However the HT is still active in 1080P with an Epson projector.  When 4k becomes available under $2500, I will definitely upgrade the projector.

ddilts399:
Been eyeballing the new Epsons that do the pixel shift trick and support HDR, at 2700, that isnt too shabby. Also the new Optoma does 4K and supports HDR10 for 2500. No where around to demo the damn thing is the problem.

Harry Caul:
Unfortunately the Optoma uses tricks to get 4K too: https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/05/optoma-uhd60-4k-projector/

I initially considered DLP projectors, but I'm sensitive to color separation artifacts.  I've been sticking with LCDs for "rainbow" free viewing -- first with a Panny 540p projector around 2000 and then with a 720p Sony LCD around 2008 that is still limping along on it's second bulb.  Last time I looked at DLP was probably 10 years ago and they are likely better in that respect now.  However, it sounds like the new 4K trick will possibly add to the temporal side-effects as they are adding in a pixel-shift as well. 

Anyway, to be on the safe side I'm waiting for a true 4K LCD projector to get below ~$3000 before upgrading again.  I also like the picture on JVC DiLA/Sony SXRD projectors, but they are physically quite a bit bigger than comparable LCDs models and would look comically large on the wall in my viewing room! 

JCM:
Have had many setups over the years but currently run a dedicated theater: JVC X550R, 120" screen, seating at 12'. Room is blackout dark and the image is reference quality with Blu-rays via the Oppo 103.

Huge screens with proper viewing distance is the only way to watch movies. It's so odd when I get invited to a "movie night" on someone's 50" flat panel TV. And there's 10 people sitting 15 feet away. There's just no sense of immersion.... no experience.

Although this analogy is a bit different, I'm with David Lynch on this one:

kovacs01:

--- Quote from: JCM on July 28, 2017, 06:56:05 PM ---

Huge screens with proper viewing distance is the only way to watch movies. I

--- End quote ---

Right there with you.  I actually prefer my home to the cinema these days.  Better picture, better sound.  Oh yeah, and beer!  I look forward to upgrading my projector sometime in the future.  I just cannot see doing it when what I have still rocks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version