Author Topic: Any Recommendations On What To Tell International Seller to Ship Posters In?  (Read 37010 times)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Planning on buying some large rolled posters from a seller in Germany, I'd like to be ready to at least recommend how he should package them, he's mentioned he's had issues shipping to the US in the past that's why he originally didn't want to ship to me, but I got him to change his mind, so maybe he'll be open to suggestions on how to pack it so nothing goes wrong.  What's the typical tube like from Germany?  I've only bought magazines from Germany.  Do they have the thick 1/4" tubes, that most of the US sellers ship these bus shelters in? As I think something like that might be sturdy enough.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
I would tell them Plastic waste pipe, and make sure the poster is rolled tighter than the tube, and spaced off the tube with bubble wrap...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
I would tell them Plastic waste pipe, and make sure the poster is rolled tighter than the tube, and spaced off the tube with bubble wrap...

When I say large I'm talking about a 4 foot tube will be needed, will it be difficult to for them to obtain a plastic tube that size? So basically it's PVC pipe I need to ask for.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
When I say large I'm talking about a 4 foot tube will be needed, will it be difficult to for them to obtain a plastic tube that size? So basically it's PVC pipe I need to ask for.

Yep PVC.  Shouldn't be hard to find at all but shipping is going to cost a bundle I suspect...
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
any empty Cheerios box.. might be better than some packages I've seen

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Most Plastic pipes come in 3metre lengths, up to 12" diameter. PVC is more ridged as is abs, but you can get softer one's Polypropylene for example... Getting any plastic pipe is the easy part, and they are quite cheap. :)

Paying for shipping is the difficult bit... ;)

Offline lynaron

• Collector
I've been in Germany for two and a half years and have yet to see any PVC pipe for sale, and I have looked in every home improvement store from Würzburg to Berlin. Round tubes do exist but every poster I've gotten from a local has been in a heavy duty square tube. Deutsch Post actually charges an additional euro for round tubes. Haven't had any problems with the square tubes though, so good luck and let us know how it goes......

Lynn    
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
What Materials are used for sink and Bath waste pipes Lynn, do they still use Copper? Also what's used for drain pipes, from the W.C. for example?    More curious now as I thought this was a universal material now-a-days...

Offline lynaron

• Collector
I'm with you.  I figured pvc was universal, but not here in the Vaterland.  All the piping in our apartment(s) have been metal, copper and the like.  Maybe Armin Junge can give us some insight.  You out there, Armin? Inquiring minds want to know  :).

Lynn

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I've been in Germany for two and a half years and have yet to see any PVC pipe for sale, and I have looked in every home improvement store from Würzburg to Berlin. Lynn    

That's certainly surprising!
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
That's certainly surprising!
Hornbach should sell them,they are used in Plumbing etc..
http://www.hornbach.de/cms/de/de/projekte/bad_sanitaer/sanitaerinstallation/wissenswertes_sanitaerinstallation/abwasserrohre/abwasserrohre.html
The pipes would not be like the ones in the photo,but similar.

Stew

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
Maybe Armin Junge can give us some insight.  You out there, Armin? Inquiring minds want to know  :).

When I ship posters, I am using special square tubes that are extremely sturdy. I think you could inflict considerable physical harm if you'd beat someone with them (haven't tried it yet but if someone volunteers, I might).
They are more expensive than regular tubes but the extra protection is worth it and I have never had any damage on any poster I sent.

Here is a link to the company I buy them from (located here in Berlin but you can also order online): http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/5edbae25f44884d7ee5f3f437a2a528f/cl/details/cnid/XUG/anid/XUGG

If anyone is ordering posters from Germany, you might want to ask the seller to use these tubes and you can rest assured they will arrive safe.

Armin

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
he's mentioned he's had issues shipping to the US in the past that's why he originally didn't want to ship to me, but I got him to change his mind

Shipping larger items from Germany to the US will be quite expensive. Not the fault of the seller, it's just our frequently stupid shipping charges here in Germany. You will see that I don't offer Japanese B1 posters on my website, although I have quite a few I could sell, because they are simply too expensive to ship.

Example:
I charge 8€ for shipping a rolled B2 (most common Japanese size) outside of Germany, that includes a high-quality tube and registered airmail (trackable). Compared to other countries that is a pretty good price.
However: Shipping a rolled B1 size poster outside of Germany (excluding packaging) costs around 38€.....so almost five times as much.

Why? I have no idea.

Armin

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
I'm thoroughly expecting to pay an arm and a leg for shipping, though I'm hoping it will be under a $100, if I can get it for that or less added to the price of the posters the average price per poster is reasonable in my eyes.   I'll mention the square tubes to him, haven't heard on a price yet.  Is it better to go postal or DHL?  I was computing some figures for shipping via UPS and Fedex and those two were way above $100 so I imagine postal or DHL is the low end.

Offline lynaron

• Collector
Vielen Dank, Armin and Stew!!!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Vielen Dank, Armin and Stew!!!

Kein Problem!

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Armin, I'm not so bothered about shipping posters now, the question is, How do you pipe the Shit out of your homes...?? wynk

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
they get a few plumbers and a packet of straws.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
Is it better to go postal or DHL?

The Deutsche Post (German mail) owns DHL globally and have combined services in Germany. Usually they will tell you which service you can use, so you don't have much of a choice. There are some competitive mailing companies, which I have however never used.

Armin

Offline Ari

• Curator
Australia has become very expensive to ship from lately, it sucks, my sales to USA used to be 90% nots its less than 10%, I used to be able to charge US$7 postage to the states, now it costs me on average $20 to send (plus an extra $6? if they decide I should pay US customs to check I aren't sending a bomb). As I sell cheap trash, its not worth buyers money unless they buy a number of things.
I have a poster for the TV version of THE SHINING someone wants, and i would give them it free, but they don't want to spend the $20 postage, so selling is hard.

Buying, I recently bought a bulk lot from Italy, some I posted here, I was quoted $50 postage, but when he posted it came out MUCH more, and was cheaper to send fed ex, so I had to pay an extra $120! (when I say "had to", he asked if I would mind as he was out of pocket, and I agreed to pay the extra). Needless to say it makes any profit margin for the ones I plan on selling a fair amount smaller.

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
Armin, I'm not so bothered about shipping posters now, the question is, How do you pipe the Shit out of your homes...?? wynk

Paul,

We collect it in buckets and fedex it to Australia.
There's always someone there who picks up the extra charges.

Armin

Offline Ari

• Curator
we in turn make it into paper and sell to Japan, where they print movie posters on it to sell to germans.
Its a pretty good system.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
Now I finally know why they smell so funny......

Armin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:24:06 AM by Posteroid »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Okay so it's going to be 75 euros, which is about what I expected, but now he's telling me I'll have to pay customs... what's with this?  I've never paid customs on anything from Germany before and I've bought a few things off eBay from German sellers. Is this right?

Offline Ari

• Curator
I assume he means in your country and thats out of his hands (or Germany), I dont know if you get stung by customs, if so the bill would arrive when the parcel comes.

I get asked to put low values on items, but really only UK buyers as they have VAT.
An Error Has Occurred!