Author Topic: The Fugitive International One Sheet  (Read 1661 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

The Fugitive International One Sheet
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »
Put up a new preliminary authentication for The Fugitive international one sheet:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_The_Fugitive_International_One_Sheet.html

First draft:

According to reports, the studio withdrew or recalled or never distributed the “international” one sheet for “The Fugitive” because the headline states “Wanted for Murder Harrison Ford” and Harrison Ford (understandably) objected.  (The tagline should have used “Richard Kimble,” his character’s name.)  According to reports, 99% of these were destroyed.

20 years later a number of these international sheets are being sold. I purchased a single-sided “original” from MoviePosterKings (Ebay).  I had previously ordered a number of posters from them and all appeared to be originals.  This copy (pictured above) generally presents very well and is certainly a very “cool” poster.

However, I have significant concerns that it is a reprint.  It is 27”(h) x 40 3/16” (v), slightly odd-sized (although reprints typically are shorter than 40”).  Much more problematic is that all the text is slightly “fuzzy,” although not blatantly fuzzy, as I’ve seen on other reprints.  The black ink is slightly smudged in several places and there are a few printing defects - small spots - in a few places.  Another “red flag” is that two notorious fake sellers (tloceposters and bradburied) and MovieGoods (which primarily sells reprints), are selling copies of this.  Given these facts, overall I suspect is not an original, so I recommend that collectors be very wary of it.

Not sharp text:

Smudges:

Presents well overall:

The usual notorious "Hall of Shame" sellers are all over this:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:49:06 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: The Fugitive International One Sheet
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
I have two copies of this poster - both are precisely 27" x 40 3/8". One has a more reddy hue (bought in 2000) and the other a more noticeably "orangey-red" (bought 2005) - there are no smudges or fuzzy text and no other differences - I would speculate that these are just different ends of a print run.

Mark

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »
I also have two (unfolded) copies, purchased from the father of someone who had worked at a picture theatre at the time (here in Australia), that teenager (now in his late 30s) would collect the posters store them at home but stopped collecting when he stopped working there. So these had been in storage (tubes) for almost 20 years at his parent's house. Based on that provenance these would be as original as they come and I'd remark the colour is more red than orange on both (and there's no smudging).

Both are for sale: http://www.vintagemovieposters.com.au/shop/the-fugitive-1993 (25% off before June 30, use the code EOFYS)

However, if someone wants a better picture for reference (these were taken before my new setup) let me know.
David

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 06:35:57 PM »
I also have two (unfolded) copies, purchased from the father of someone who had worked at a picture theatre at the time (here in Australia), that teenager (now in his late 30s) would collect the posters store them at home but stopped collecting when he stopped working there. So these had been in storage (tubes) for almost 20 years at his parent's house. Based on that provenance these would be as original as they come and I'd remark the colour is more red than orange on both (and there's no smudging).

Both are for sale: http://www.vintagemovieposters.com.au/shop/the-fugitive-1993 (25% off before June 30, use the code EOFYS)

However, if someone wants a better picture for reference (these were taken before my new setup) let me know.

Sold - the link takes you thru to Daybills now... :D
David