Author Topic: signed posters section  (Read 54434 times)

Cinemania UK

signed posters section
« on: February 14, 2010, 06:14:30 PM »
some people collect signed posters,lets have a section for them.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: signed posters section
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:55:58 PM »
one section for signed posters of all kind?  one thread in each category for signed posters in that category?  or, how about one thread for signed ephemera of all kinds including lobbies, stills, posters, letters, etc -- in other words, a thread dedicated to collecting signatures in general?  A bit off the beaten path for this forum, but at the same time, I don't really care about sticking to the limits too tightly.

Thoughts, people?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:46:42 AM »
How about a section for "other film memorabilia" to include autographs of all kinds, props, replicas, scripts, etc.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »
(How about a section for "other film memorabilia" to include autographs of all kinds, props, replicas, scripts, etc.)

I think that is a great idea, as I for one collect all kinds of film items. Just the one section and see how it goes.

Here's a couple of Autographs just for the crack.
It's more than a Hobby...

Juli

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:56:12 AM »
I collect autographs too, so this section would be used a lot by me. I also collect other film items such as trailers and a few odds and ends (scripts, sheet music etc.).

~ Juli

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:47:21 AM »
talking of autographs... i got sir Alex Fergusons sig yesterday... stayed at the same hotel as United in london! :P

well chuffed.. great guy

kauaitx

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 11:50:34 PM »

After conferring with the Bosses (that would be the Napoleons residing in my alternate universe), a new section has been created to be all inclusive of other areas of collecting.  There's a separate board for autographs of all kind as suggested and requested.  This thread is being moved there.

Let's see some of those autographs.   It'll be good to have something to refer to when people might want to do an on-the-fly comparison.

Jeannie

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »
This one seems to be legit but who really knows if the poster is original and/or the sigs are legit:

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 09:48:57 PM »
This one seems to be legit but who really knows if the poster is original and/or the sigs are legit:

I think this one is fake as hell.  A lot of times I see fake sigs they are multi colored.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 03:31:47 AM »
Fake as hell.  I already posted about how the 2 signed PF one sheets on here had different looking sigs.  Well, here is Uma's autograph from the "authenticated" one sheet next to Agentprovocoteur's Kill Bill Vol 2 desert B1 autograph.  He met her in person and watched her sign his poster.  Anyone who buys a signed item on ebay is a moron.

Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 07:40:55 AM »
Well, if you dig deeper into this auction - which I doubt any of you have - you see that the COA comes from Schani Krug, the "insider" referenced in the posting.  The COA is extremely detailed and has an undeniable "truthiness" to it.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 08:32:41 AM »
Yup, I looked at it.  The whole point of all of that is to create the illusion of undeniable "truthiness."  But in the end, the signatures don't lie.  I could create that certificate of authenticity in 15 minutes in word and then sign Quentin Tarantino's name on it.  I only hope they did not waste a perfectly good lucky strike PF one sheet, but I suppose that is fake too. 
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 08:52:59 AM »
I have to disagree.  The detail of the COA, the identify of the consignor, and the Ebay feedback of the seller put this one in the "reasonably legitimate" category.  However, if I bought this, I'd insist on sending it to a poster/signature authenticator and calling the COA signatory.

Two months ago I posted some Pixar signed items and Bruce & Rich immediately started beating the "it's a fake/shiller/evil Ebay" drums.  A few seconds research revealed it was perfectly legitimate.  Ooops.

The point being there's a lot of "blown calls" and paranoia on this board....

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 09:10:17 AM »
ok, mel, then go ahead and do me a favor and explain the 2 sigs above please.  she just wasnt feeling herself that day, I suppsose?  also explain to me why why Mr. Krug would bother to chase down all of those signatures and how he managed to keep the poster mint while obtaining said signatures.  

I mean, can the word reasonable be used at all when we are talking about the guy toting around a one sheet to all these places from Hollywood to NYC to London??  Really?  Or did he carry it around with him everywhere he went for several years in hopes of running into these folks?  After all, he had it at Chows restaurant in Beverly Hills to get ERic Stoltz's sig.  You just dont bust out a one sheet at the table in Chows and say hey dude, will you sign this.........even if you know the guy.  It is an incredibly formal place.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 11:45:42 AM »
ok, mel, then go ahead and do me a favor and explain the 2 sigs above please.  she just wasnt feeling herself that day, I suppsose?  also explain to me why why Mr. Krug would bother to chase down all of those signatures and how he managed to keep the poster mint while obtaining said signatures.  

I mean, can the word reasonable be used at all when we are talking about the guy toting around a one sheet to all these places from Hollywood to NYC to London??  Really?  Or did he carry it around with him everywhere he went for several years in hopes of running into these folks?  After all, he had it at Chows restaurant in Beverly Hills to get ERic Stoltz's sig.  You just dont bust out a one sheet at the table in Chows and say hey dude, will you sign this.........even if you know the guy.  It is an incredibly formal place.

I'm not a signature expert.  I know my own signature varies tremendously.  Also, if it is a fake, I'm sure the creator tried to imitate her known signature and the signatures of the others.  You're basing your non-expert opinion on one signature.

Like I said, you're rejecting it with insufficient data.  I agree fakes of Pulp Fiction and fake signatures of Ebay are common.  However, this particular poster has plenteous verisimilitude.  There's no reason to think a Pulp Fiction fan (and Hollywood "director") would NOT collect these sigs over a couple of years.

The poster itself could be easily authenticated, both through the MPA tests and through a poster expert.  

The signatures would be harder to authenticate but a conversation with Krug and a quick test ("So what play was showing in NYC at that time?") and possibly a signature authenticator would suffice.

Finally, if the poster is truly original - currently worth $700 on Ebay (the most recent price) and probably much higher in the 2002 time period - who in their right mind would put FAKE signatures on it?  

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »
Sorry Mel but I agree with Schan. That poster would be battered to hell if the "owener" really obtained that many genuine signatures at that many places. We are not talking about "C-list" celebrities who sit at desks at a convention while collectors carefully unroll their poster for a $25 autograph. Every rolled poster I have ever got signed (apart from one occasion, I have never paid) has got creased in some way and this is from dealing with just one signatory. It is rare to have the luxury of time and space and more often than not there is a scrum of pushing people and a celebrity anxious to make his escape.

I agree that signatures of one celebrity can vary but the provenance of how and where the poster came to be signed is just as important as a technical analysis of the autograph itself

Mark

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »
Sorry Mel but I agree with Schan. That poster would be battered to hell if the "owener" really obtained that many genuine signatures at that many places. We are not talking about "C-list" celebrities who sit at desks at a convention while collectors carefully unroll their poster for a $25 autograph. Every rolled poster I have ever got signed (apart from one occasion, I have never paid) has got creased in some way and this is from dealing with just one signatory. It is rare to have the luxury of time and space and more often than not there is a scrum of pushing people and a celebrity anxious to make his escape.

I agree that signatures of one celebrity can vary but the provenance of how and where the poster came to be signed is just as important as a technical analysis of the autograph itself

Mark

Well, I asked the seller some follow-up questions.

Mark, I noticed the "owener" spelling too. Of course, you'll agree that Krug - a German - would be very likely to misspell "owener."  That is the phonetic spelling of that word.  So IMHO that tends to prove Krug actually wrote the COA.

As far as traveling to various places, this article about Krug from November 2004 details his various trips around the world (including Cannes) during 2004 to promote his film:

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 12:36:53 PM »
i give up.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 01:09:33 PM »
deciding that a misspelled "owener" makes it more likely that the Krug is the guy because he is German is quite the reach.  its just as likely that the whoever made that made a type-o since e happens to be next to w on the keyboard.

Oh and Mel, I have taken 2 masters level courses on handwriting analysis.  though I would not consider myself an expert, I am very far from uninformed on the subject.

You are a trusting soul, and that is admirable.  Myself, I tend to accept the simplest explanation of a phenomenon.  And the simple explanation is someone made all that up.  I could do the same in about 2 hours.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 01:09:49 PM »
Mel..  Seriously?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »
I think you boys are right on this one.  It appeared plausible on the surface but there's another "signed" poster for sale on Ebay that is very similar to this one.  The likelihood the signatures would be in the same place on both posters is pretty low.  Probably the same faker did both of these:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »
Okay, there HAS to be a way to take these down.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 01:34:51 AM »
There are a ton of these mint multi-colored signature posters on ebay and a roll of toilet paper is worth more than a COA.

The sad thing is people still buy this crap. If anyone wants one I'm sure I can hit up Canal Street in Chinatown before leaving New York and pick up a few from the chinese sweatshops. I'll be sure to get them to write up a few Certificates of Authentications.

Chad

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 02:27:40 AM »
Reminds me of customers I have, come in, buy a $20,000 or whatever coin, and ask for a COA, I say, SURE I CAN GIVE YOU ONE, but it means NOTHING, I can sell you a 2c coin and give it a COA, it’s a bit of paper, the p[roof is in the pudding. The PROOF IS THE ITEM, not what any dealer can attach to it.
Sigs like these, take em or leave em, I have many signed items, 99% I have gotten myself, or if not IN PERSON, have a long distance relationship with the person, and posted to them, and posted back. They are hard to sell, as its impossible to prove. I like them, I know they are legit, so I am happy.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 09:07:14 PM »
This is interesting - what do you boys think about this reply from the seller of the Pulp Fiction?

"You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I'm selling the autographed Pulp Fiction poster for Shani Krug, a well known TV Cameraman, writer and producer. He knew almost all og the stars in the picture and they were happy to autograph his copy. Friends of his who knew the few he didn't got the extra autographs for him. This took place over a period of months on sets, in restaurants, at awards ceremonies and from even as far away as the Cannes film festival. Schani used to loan John Travolta money when he was still a kid living in a trailer and working Welcome Back Kotter. In fact, John Travolta got a few of those autographs for him. Believe me when I say the provenance for this Pulp Fiction poster is a lot more solid than any credential you may seem to represent for making such a false judgment. Joe Conway"

So I asked him why the signatures matched the other poster.  Haven't heard back.