Author Topic: Storing posters flat. Am i doing it right?  (Read 15631 times)

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
Storing posters flat. Am i doing it right?
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
I have all my posters in a old but solid architects plan cabinet. Most posters i have fit easily inside the drawers.
Each drawer has about 80 posters in it, each separated by a piece of acid free tissue paper which covers the entire poster. (Recommended by Terry at Quadbod) (Quadbod?)
The bottom of each drawer is lined with a few sheets of the same paper too so that they don't touch the wood.
This means obviously that i can't take them in and out without a lot of hassle so i have photos on my computer. A database of sorts to view them.
Am i storing these correctly? I read about micron 2/4 pvc sheets and wonder if they would be better in them or if they would be better stored in some other fashion.

It took me a while to realise that storing them in tubes wasn't ideal but i moved around a lot and it suited my needs then. When i realised i was staying put for a while i bought the cabinet and tissue paper and spent a huge amount of time sorting, photographing and storing them. It made me curse the whole idea of collecting at the time! >:(

Can someone advise if they will be okay like they are.
Thanks

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Storing posters flat. Am i doing it right?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
sounds like you're doing just fine.

a reflection on collecting:

when you have the material on the walls and in your collection room - "look at all this GREAT STUFF!"

when you're moving - "Why do I have all this FERKIN GARBAGE?"
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:56:13 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »
Check the humidity level is ok. Best not to keep the cabinet in a damp humid basement with a dodgy water pipe above it.

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 07:58:39 PM »

a reflection on collecting:

when you have the material on the walls and in your collection room - "look at all this GREAT STUFF!"

when you're moving - "Why do I have all this FERKIN GARBAGE?"

Exactly what i thought. ;D

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »
Check the humidity level is ok. Best not to keep the cabinet in a damp humid basement with a dodgy water pipe above it.

It's in a spare bedroom so that's not a problem, but thanks.
Although the water tank is right above it in the attic.  eyeroll
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:02:26 PM by Hallucination Generation »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 01:10:29 AM »
So, howzabout seeing some of them pictures you got stored on the 'puter, eh?

We likes pictures, we do...
me and precious...

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:01:08 AM »
I don't really have any really rare posters and i'm not into old theatre posters. I like shiny stuff!
Once i figure out how to upload i will amaze you all with my collection of regular everyday posters. :)

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 09:04:12 AM »
It says the upload folder is full.....

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »
It says the upload folder is full.....

Yep.  You need to host them somewhere else, like a file sharing site such as photobucket.
-Jay-

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:28:56 AM »
Oh, okay.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:56:15 AM »
I happen to like shiny, modern poster...as many of us do.
Don't let these old farts intimidate you.
 cheers.

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 10:55:42 AM »
I think your doing more than enough to store them, now lets not see any posters this side of 1980... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Charlie

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
I think Rich was right wow1 If you like to look at your posters a lot, then storing flat and in sleeves are not the way to go.  I noticed a few of those soft fold marks he was talking about when I pulled out my NM Walk the Line Advance unless I just missed them before.  I think I am going to buy some of those vertical boxes for rolled posters from Bags Unlimited and store my modern stuff in sleeves maybe wrapped in mylar grouping them in 5 to 10 posters per sleeve.  I am also thinking about storing my folded posters in sleeves attached to backer boards in boxes...  I'll leave the flat files for LB stuff and then buy some of those top loaders for the more expensive posters.  I also think taking the flaps out will also help... because it seems like I have to pull the posters out perhaps making distress marks.  I am in a pretty confused state of storage opinion right now...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:41:29 AM by Charlie »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »
Wood holds humidity, so if you live in a humid place, a wood file cabinet is not the best solution.  I would replace it with a metal file cabinet.

If you live in a dry place, then you don't need acid free tissue paper.  These posters will outlast you.  Especially if you collect shiny posters.  You can just stack them up and they will be just fine.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
Charlie

don't put them inside anything

I store them flat with the bags IN-BETWEEN the posters the same way Mr Hallucination uses acid free paper

when I want to look at them, I bring a table up to the drawers & move the contents to the table as I take them out one-at-a-time

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »
Wood holds humidity, so if you live in a humid place, a wood file cabinet is not the best solution.  I would replace it with a metal file cabinet.

If you live in a dry place, then you don't need acid free tissue paper.  These posters will outlast you.  Especially if you collect shiny posters.  You can just stack them up and they will be just fine.

T

I live in Scotland and the cabinet is in a spare bedroom so i can't see humidity being a problem here. Frost could be a concern though.  ;) 
Also i can't afford a metal cabinet as much as i would love one with a nice smooth drawer action.

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
I think Rich was right wow1 If you like to look at your posters a lot, then storing flat and in sleeves are not the way to go.  I noticed a few of those soft fold marks he was talking about when I pulled out my NM Walk the Line Advance unless I just missed them before.  I think I am going to buy some of those vertical boxes for rolled posters from Bags Unlimited and store my modern stuff in sleeves maybe wrapped in mylar grouping them in 5 to 10 posters per sleeve.  I am also thinking about storing my folded posters in sleeves attached to backer boards in boxes...  I'll leave the flat files for LB stuff and then buy some of those top loaders for the more expensive posters.  I also think taking the flaps out will also help... because it seems like I have to pull the posters out perhaps making distress marks.  I am in a pretty confused state of storage opinion right now...

You have confused the hell out of me.
What's a soft fold mark? Is that caused by the posters being laid flat with weight on top causing them to crease a little?

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 02:19:37 PM »
Your from Scotland.............Is this Stew, as Mel was saying one of us has many I/D's...... wynk
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
You have confused the hell out of me.
What's a soft fold mark? Is that caused by the posters being laid flat with weight on top causing them to crease a little?

Charlie is referring to a previous thread on this subject where I say it is not good to put your posters INSIDE a bag, flat and unfolded as handling will then crease the posters due to the added weight of the bag causing stresses on the poster when you look through them

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »
Isn't humidity bad in Scotland?  I thought it was.  Which would probably explain why you feel the need to use tissue paper between your posters.  And if indeed it is the case, wood is not good.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
Isn't humidity bad in Scotland?  I thought it was.  Which would probably explain why you feel the need to use tissue paper between your posters.  And if indeed it is the case, wood is not good.

T

theirry

some people rightly use tissue between posters to prevent image & dirt transfer

-------

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »
Charlie is referring to a previous thread on this subject where I say it is not good to put your posters INSIDE a bag, flat and unfolded as handling will then crease the posters due to the added weight of the bag causing stresses on the poster when you look through them

Okay cool. Thanks.

And no this isn't Stew. My name's Dave.

And i used the tissue paper as Terry from Quadbod said it was a good idea to prevent any kind of transfer from the posters. We don't get much humidity here.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 06:41:19 PM »
theirry

some people rightly use tissue between posters to prevent image & dirt transfer

And when does that happen, Rich?  I have hundreds of posters on top of each other, and there hasn't been anything wrong with them in the past 10 years.  I know because I actually go through my posters every other year or so.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 07:06:05 PM »
And when does that happen, Rich?  I have hundreds of posters on top of each other, and there hasn't been anything wrong with them in the past 10 years.  I know because I actually go through my posters every other year or so.

my poster got wet when I pee'd on them.
my posters got dirty when I handled them
now I have wet & dirty posters

although admittedly, plastic may not have helped on the peeing thing

:P

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 07:36:06 PM »

Wasn't the advice to only use bags if you also use boards?