Author Topic: Dark Knight "Armed Joker" international DS 1S poster  (Read 52549 times)

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
Re: Dark Knight "Armed Joker" international DS 1S poster
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2012, 10:42:59 AM »
If you read my post it is pretty straightforward. There is nothing in it to suggest I was throwing it back in your face. My apologies if you felt that way.

Got the sample poster i sent out to you back today.
Thanks for packing it so well. With a poster sleeve wrapped around the middle and nothing else.
I sent it out to you wrapped in tissue paper with bubble wrap around each and with extra padding for protection.

Just because you believe it has no value doesn't mean it shouldn't have been packed correctly.
Now each end has flattened out edges. Thanks for that.

With the overpriced posters you sell i hope you spend more time packing those than you did mine.

If Karma does indeed exist it owes you a kick in the balls.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:43:35 AM by Hallucination Generation »

Steven11788

« Reply #201 on: July 17, 2012, 10:33:46 AM »
without making my eyes bleed, i have been looking at these posters, So my take from this is, there isnt a real version like this?? if there IS, were could i get it, this and they why so serious poster is on my list, and it is comming up soon.  SOOOO, help a fella out

One-Sheet

« Reply #202 on: July 28, 2012, 12:56:24 AM »
Hi all,

Just joined this forum because I have been following this thread with great interest and just purchased this poster from Hallucination Generation.  His poster does seem to be the most legit specimen of this poster I have seen as evidenced by the comparison with the Moviegoods repro which is slightly undersized and cropped.  My theory on this poster is that it was indeed printed by the studio as an official North American one-sheet but the studio may have changed their minds in the wake of Ledger's death.  That may be speculation on my part until someone can get a confirmation or source to verify this hypothesis.  In any case I have had my eye on this for some time and the efforts to authenticate by this forum convinced me to purchase and to join the forum.  It's getting much harder these days to know which posters are real and this is a great source of information for which to make an informed purchase.  I have no doubt Hallucination Generation's poster will satisfy and I look forward to adding his poster to my collection.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #203 on: July 28, 2012, 01:15:03 AM »
Hi all,

Just joined this forum because I have been following this thread with great interest and just purchased this poster from Hallucination Generation.  His poster does seem to be the most legit specimen of this poster I have seen as evidenced by the comparison with the Moviegoods repro which is slightly undersized and cropped.  My theory on this poster is that it was indeed printed by the studio as an official North American one-sheet but the studio may have changed their minds in the wake of Ledger's death.  That may be speculation on my part until someone can get a confirmation or source to verify this hypothesis.  In any case I have had my eye on this for some time and the efforts to authenticate by this forum convinced me to purchase and to join the forum.  It's getting much harder these days to know which posters are real and this is a great source of information for which to make an informed purchase.  I have no doubt Hallucination Generation's poster will satisfy and I look forward to adding his poster to my collection.

welcome1 to APF, One-Sheet.
I share the same theory.  I have no doubts that it is genuine.
I bought mine on Ebay from a non-poster seller when the film first came out, long before Moviegoods began selling their version.
 cheers

One-Sheet

« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2012, 01:32:28 AM »
I bought mine on Ebay from a non-poster seller when the film first came out, long before Moviegoods began selling their version.
 cheers

Thanks for the reassurance, brude.  cheers That is what I was hoping to hear.  I have a few high quality repros/customs in my collection to compare it against but I like what I have seen so far and ultimately it is a great poster to have regardless.  My friend had a custom street Joker 27x40 DS same as the British banner he got off ebay years ago that he loved but it got destroyed and we couldn't find another.  He just took a high res digital scan and got it professionally printed and the repro is actually superior in quality in terms of detail resolution, contrast, saturation and quality of inks.  He is very pleased with it and is sending me one so I have that coming in addition to this one from HG. 

• Collector
« Reply #205 on: July 28, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »
 cheers

cheers to all.

You like me, you really, really, like me  ;D
(Except David from CMPOC)

One-Sheet

« Reply #206 on: August 06, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »
I received my poster today from Hallucination Generation and it was packaged very safe, securely, and professionally and the poster was undamaged.  Thank you very much for that.

It is a beautiful poster and I am extremely pleased with it.  When I first unrolled it my first reaction was that it had to be a legitimate studio issue.  It is exactly 27x40" and double sided and the back aligns perfectly and the text (at a glance) appears to be pretty crisp.  However, upon closer examination of the poster I began to have my doubts about its authenticity.  Here's why:

The overall softness of the pixels in the image on fine details leaves a somewhat jagged stair-stepping effect.  It's really evident in the Joker's hair strands and along the edges of buildings and the edge of his coat.  I know the image depicts a lot of flying debris around the character but it's the pixels and their softness that have me question the resolution of the poster.  To be fair, I examined it closely against my Style C TDK (Batpod) poster and the pixels in that image are also pretty soft with lots of flying debris so I'd say that the overall graininess of the image was by design.  It's just that they are a bit softer and not as fine on the Joker one.

Next I compared the text and logos.  The Warner Logo is a little softer (and slightly different) on the Joker one compared to the Batpod one-sheet and my other TDK one-sheets.  Also the TM on The Dark Knight logo is a little softer.  It's VERY VERY close on the Dark Knight logo, but some of the gray embossed highlight detail is lost on the Joker poster logo and there is some noticeable posterization and blue gradient color banding on the Dark Knight logo compared to my other TDK one-sheets.  It also doesn't have the "A film by Christopher Nolan" text above the title like the other posters do.  The other thing that struck me was the absence of credits at the bottom, only the date 'July 18' and studio copyrights similar to the "Wilding" poster.   My other two advance posters have no date and say "Summer 2008."   

(Batpod style 'C' logo first, Joker poster logo second)

Also the texture of the paper.  It's VERY close to my other official Dark Knight double sided posters, but not 100% exact.  It's slightly off in texture by comparison.  It's so close though that if I hadn't pulled out the other posters to compare it against I probably would not have really noticed it.

So my general conclusion is that this has to be in all likelihood a reproduction, albeit a VERY VERY good one.  One of the better ones I've seen.  I just can't say with absolute certainty that it is an original and I doubt that anyone aside from someone from the studio who knows the history of the marketing campaign and posters that were actually printed could verify its authenticity either though I can see why the guy from Cinemasterpieces raised an eyebrow but I am not personally insulted by it like he was.  Yes, he sells only authentic posters which I can understand but I also don't understand the general thumbing the nose attitude that was taken toward HG when all he wanted was an expert opinion on its authenticity and his questions professionally answered.   

Again, I am VERY VERY happy with the poster overall.  Since this has never been officially released as a one-sheet I am happy to have it in my collection for the uniqueness of the artwork alone.    If you are a fan and want to add this poster to your collection I highly recommend buying it from HG.  It's obvious his poster is better quality than the cropped one sold by Moviegoods and without the excess contrast that one has.   And as long as HG continues to list it under reproductions and states that even he is unsure of its authenticity then he is at least being honest and I don't see a problem as long as the buyer can make an informed decision.

Again, thanks HG for your professionalism and for the poster.  I am pleased to own it and it has been a pleasure doing business.

• Collector
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2012, 08:57:57 AM »
Thanks, and you're welcome.
I'm happy that you are pleased with it.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2012, 12:08:10 PM »
Thought I'd do a bit of research and prove some of you 'doubting Thomases' wrong.
I know that this poster is legit.
Apparently, it was produced as a teaser by BLT.
See here: http://bltcommunications.com/Project/the-dark-knight
If you hover your cursor over the small images, it clearly says 'teaser.'
Whether it was actually used is another story, but these are the people who designed it.
I believe that this the rarest DK poster of the lot.

I have emailed them asking for details on sizes, distribution, etc., and when I hear back I will update this thread.
 cheers

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
It was used for the Teaser banner.  They are not necessarily distinguishing between image and use.  The proportions of the thumbnail, which could conceivably be off, but I don't know why they would be, clearly indicate banner sizing more than poster. Take a look at the Where the Wild Things Are - the images with the same proportions are marked as banners or bus shelters.

Anyways, it be nice if they had some additional info.

Also, nice to see the BLT folks have their new website up, I know that they were looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:28:32 PM by archie leach »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #210 on: December 20, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »
I did notice the size difference, but I also saw where other obvious bus shelters were labeled as such while this one was labeled as 'teaser.'
Hopefully, they will give my request for info consideration and I will hear back soon.

• Collector
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2012, 05:13:01 PM »
Thought I'd do a bit of research and prove some of you 'doubting Thomases' wrong.
Whether it was actually used is another story, but these are the people who designed it.

I have emailed them asking for details on sizes, distribution, etc., and when I hear back I will update this thread.
 cheers

Hurrah for me!

I emailed them too but you may have more clout than me.  ;D

guest8

« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »

cheers

Personally I never felt that the artwork wasnt authentic, just (possibly) the posters. All too often we see images pulled from websites or reused from banner artwork and various other sources that are tweaked with some fresh text added and churned out as SS "authentic" theater posters or for the sneaky ones "wilding" and/or international posters. Sadly they have been getting better and started with the DS bootleg/fake/whatever posters.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #213 on: December 20, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »
Haven't visited this thread in forever, so I will just go by Dave's last post.  Yes, the artwork is authentic.  I saw it at bus stops here in Los Angeles.  I got a copy straight from WB.  But to my belief, it was only printed as a bus stop.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

treegate

« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
Haven't visited this thread in forever, so I will just go by Dave's last post.  Yes, the artwork is authentic.  I saw it at bus stops here in Los Angeles.  I got a copy straight from WB.  But to my belief, it was only printed as a bus stop.

T

While I don't have the bus shelter poster T refers to, I do have the banner version which was done on thick vinyl also direct from Warner Brothers. It measures 5 feet wide by 8 feet tall with a slit at the top and bottom for the wooden dowels to slide in which were also included. Having not seen the bus shelter one I don't think those were made on vinyl or that large, if that is the case then the image appeared as the bus shelter poster and the vinyl banner. T, I sent a PM to you, but didn't hear back, curious if you received it ok as I know the PM function had been giving some a few problems.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »
I received it but I didn't really understand what I was supposed to do with the info.  Thanks, I guess.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Collector
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:57:14 PM by Hallucination Generation »

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2014, 06:31:46 AM »
As far as I know, the Wildings were only for the US and this is a UK poster so that doesn't add up. Not sure why they would print a glossy Wilding either?

guest8

« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2014, 07:45:58 AM »
Ive never "liked" this poster .. too many odd things about it.

• Collector
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2014, 12:38:09 PM »
As far as I know, the Wildings were only for the US and this is a UK poster so that doesn't add up. Not sure why they would print a glossy Wilding either?

Is it glossy? Never noticed.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
Someone asked a question on the auction page:

Q:    Hello, I was just wondering is this printed in paper, vinyl or something else? Thank you.   Dec-30-13
A:    Hi, It is printed on paper, but it has a vinyl/ plastic finish that makes it glossier than a regular paper poster . It is white on the back, the image is only on the front. Please feel free to contact us with any other questions.

guest8

« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
 uhnoI wonder who this HG is REALLY... have we maybe seen him on here before with a different name?? Hmmmm ..

• Collector
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2014, 05:48:23 PM »
Someone asked a question on the auction page:

Q:    Hello, I was just wondering is this printed in paper, vinyl or something else? Thank you.   Dec-30-13
A:    Hi, It is printed on paper, but it has a vinyl/ plastic finish that makes it glossier than a regular paper poster . It is white on the back, the image is only on the front. Please feel free to contact us with any other questions.

Ah, never noticed that.

• Collector
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2014, 05:50:15 PM »
uhnoI wonder who this HG is REALLY... have we maybe seen him on here before with a different name?? Hmmmm ..

Yes, who am I?
Am i really here typing?
Do i exist?
Maybe I'm in all your minds?
Maybe, just maybe...........

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »
Yes, who am I?
Am i really here typing?
Do i exist?