Author Topic: Help - The Beatles  (Read 2460 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Help - The Beatles
« on: May 25, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »
Thanks to EmoviePoster, I created a new authentication for Help on MPC.

Does anybody know anything else about the reproduction?  Is it a re-release?

Original:

Reproduction (?)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:45:03 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Help - The Beatles
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:16:08 PM »
Quite a few other differences, one being with not coloring in the center of the P in Help

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:41:20 AM »
U.S. International one sheet.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »
U.S. International one sheet.

I know at least other one seller (FilmArtGallery) has said that but what's the proof?  FilmArtGallery withdrew its copy for sale after I contacted them for more information.

They are very different and Emovie says they are repros:

Important Added Info: Note that exact repros of this poster surfaced in the hobby many years ago. They were very professionally done, and you could tell they were repros both because they lack NSS numbers, and because they were printed on a shinier glossier paper (but they were folded like regular one-sheets). We don't know who created these or when, but we are guessing the 1970s. They have often been sold as originals, either innocently, or for deceptive reasons. The repro poster we are offering here has been professionally linenbacked, and will display great on anyone's wall (but we certainly don't want someone to buy it and then attempt to sell it as an original!)..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:52:44 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
This isn't the first time I've disagreed with Bruce, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Full respect for him, but I've seen unused ones, AND I've actually had one or two that have come from a theater, used with pin holes, tape, mold, etc.

It was definitely used internationally. Is it possible they are from a late 60's or 70's international re release?

I've dealt with Matt at Filmart many, many times over the years and although I can't say I know him well, I do know from speaking with him that he likes to stay out of any potential controversies and prefers to not comment publicly. If you think about it, most movie poster dealers are like that.

I think Kirby at movieart once commented on these on mopo. If he did maybe someone can dig up what he said about them? or maybe it was someone else, I really don't remember.

If they are really fakes/repros.....then why all the blatant differences? Why has every one I've ever seen been folded. Surely a few fake rolled ones would have surfaced if they were indeed fakes. It doesn't make sense.

Same thing goes for that Woodstock one sheet. I don't care what mpgrading says about it with their paper age acidity test. BTW I have full respect for Todd and what he is doing at mpgrading and for the hobby, but I do not think the test is always accurate. Same goes for Bruce, he is awesome, I just disagree with him every now and then.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »
Heritage has sold 25 or so Help one sheets and not a single one is the so-called "international" style.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »
That is actually astounding, and very interesting. Maybe they have never had one sent in (extremely unlikely) or Grey sends them back because he is unsure of their origin. Someone should ask him. I wish I had saved the theater used ones we had, they were auctioned long ago.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
Seems to me that it is a re-release.
Why else would they have removed the dated phrase, "in COLOR?"

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
another difference, I just noticed that their faces are a different color.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
Seems to me that it is a re-release.
Why else would they have removed the dated phrase, "in COLOR?"

Good thinking but they also would have removed the "seven great new Beatles hits" insert as well if it were a rr.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »

Good thinking but they also would have removed the "seven great new Beatles hits" insert as well if it were a rr.

I'll bet they left that slug intact because it was still a selling point of sorts.  Also, if they deleted "NEW" they would have had to reset the type.
Marketing would also probably be against removing the word 'NEW.'  'NEW' always sounds good (sucker born every minute), while "In Color" is dated and sounds almost archaic.

The fact that they didn't even re-center the type or fill in the blue (in 'P') seems to me it was a bit slapdash.
Maybe they shot this back out to market in a hurry to capitalize on some Beatles news of the day?