Author Topic: Why has BCE doubled the price of mylar sleeves in the past couple of years?  (Read 11064 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
I bought my first 25 mylars and boards from BCE around 2003. The total cost was in the $400 range. I bought my last round of 25 mylars and boards in 2010 and the price was still in the $400 range. Now just a few years later, they have nearly doubled to about $800 for 25 mylars and boards. Meanwhile, I see that Bags Unlimited sells their version of mylars and boards for less than BCE's 2003 price range. The only thing that is keeping me from buying the Bags Unlimited sleeves are the fact that they open on the short end. I have a hard enough time as it is opening the BCE mylar's on the long side and sliding the posters in.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
simple economics Chop

plastics are petroleum derivative products

oil is at a high price
because oil is at a high price (and so is cardboard, another oil derivative product) shipping is at a real high price

high price + high price + high price = more high prices

I deal with this issue every day

does indeed suck

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
and so is cardboard, another oil derivative product

I am fascinated to learn more details about this, as this is news to me

• Post-aholic
cardboard uses numerous petroleum derivatives in production, in particular the lamination & gluing processes

it isn't just paper

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
cardboard uses numerous petroleum derivatives in production, in particular the lamination & gluing processes

it isn't just paper

Cardboard glues are nearly always made of starch (corn/wheat/potato) not chemicals, as it is cheaper. Ref: 1 2

The weight of any laminate (if used) would weigh next to nothing. Assuming it were made of 100% oil, it would still weigh next to nothing and thus cost next to nothing as an ingredient.

Without referenced facts, instead of opinion, costs of cardboard contributing to Chops problem sounds to me like a load of old bollocks!   

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets

Cardboard glues are nearly always made of starch (corn/wheat/potato) not chemicals, as it is cheaper. Ref: 1 2

The weight of any laminate (if used) would weigh next to nothing. Assuming it were made of 100% oil, it would still weigh next to nothing and thus cost next to nothing as an ingredient.

Without referenced facts, instead of opinion, costs of cardboard contributing to Chops problem sounds to me like a load of old bollocks!  

I've never heard of oil going into corrugated board making either, but at the very least it could be an indirect cost added to corrugated production (machine maintenance, transporting, etc.). That being said, oil prices have not doubled in 3 years time. So oil may be a factor, but it certainly doesn't explain a 200% price markup in 3 years time for mylar sheets, especially when the competition didn't have the same kind of markup.

I've already emailed Bags Unlimited asking them to produce their mylar sheets with the long side being the open side instead of the short side. It's hard enough as it is trying to wiggle a poster in via the long side. Otherwise, I'll won't be buying from them until they make that change.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:11:02 PM by Chop-Top »

• Post-aholic
Steve

my cardboard supplier relayed this information to me. so unless they were lying just to get a rise in prices, I have to believe them

you do realize that petroleum derivatives are present in a very high percentage of all products we use, including foods unfortunately.

I think there are some 6000+ petroleum derivative chemicals which include a class of products called "waxes and paraffins" which are likely the class of product used for cardboard production

try these articles

http://www.firescientist.com/Documents/Petroleum-LacedBackground.pdf

this one is the petroleum industry group
https://www.afpm.org/wax-facts/

-------

• Post-aholic
I've already emailed Bags Unlimited asking them to produce their mylar sheets with the long side being the open side instead of the short side. It's hard enough as it is trying to wiggle a poster in via the long side. Otherwise, I'll won't be buying from them until they make that change.

go to Facebook and look up Laura Macaluso
she will be happy to hook you up, but I'm sure the min # is 1000-2000 pieces

-------

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
go to Facebook and look up Laura Macaluso
she will be happy to hook you up, but I'm sure the min # is 1000-2000 pieces

Thanks for the contact. I of course don't need that many mylars. Heck, I only have 100 after 11 years of collecting!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
I see 25 (one sheet size) Mylars are $440 on BCE website and around $75 for similar polyester sleeves on BagsUnlimited

Is that what you are seeing as that looks a big price difference.

my cardboard supplier relayed this information to me. so unless they were lying just to get a rise in prices, I have to believe them

Can't imagine any price rise due to petroleum price increase alone adds much of an increase to a small amount of cardboard!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:24:56 PM by 50s »

• Post-aholic
Can't imagine any price rise due to petroleum price increase alone adds much of an increase to a small amount of cardboard!

yeah well, considering that a 11x14 slice of cardboard costs $35 @100 and tree pulp can't be costing too much, exactly what do you think adds to the costs?

:P

seriously though Steve, what do you think drives up costs across all spectrums more than labor & petroleum costs?
the cost of cardboard has about doubled in 4 years and it doesn't cost more to grow trees today than it did then.

-------

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Yeah, a HUGE difference. To be exact the one sheet mylars from BU come out to $191 https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3003-polyester-mylar-sleeve-4mil-no-flap.aspx which is still lower than BCE was in 2003.

Those same mylar sleeves from BCE were about $240 11 years ago up through 2010. The funny part is in 2012/2013 they were already in the $300+ category (from $200+ in 2010). Then recently I saw them shoot up to $440.

I see 25 (one sheet size) Mylars are $440 on BCE website and around $75 for similar polyester sleeves on BagsUnlimited

Is that what you are seeing as that looks a big price difference.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:14:21 PM by Chop-Top »

• Post-aholic
plastics are petroleum derivative products

oil is at a high price

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
(and so is cardboard, another oil derivative product)

I was disputing that your assertion that petroleum as a physical ingredient of the cardboard made such a difference to the cost.

I am sure the above is negligible compared to all other costs associated with manufacturing/delivering cardboard to the user over the 4 years including wages/transportation (including petrol), as it is for any product

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Looks like BCE is the Cinemasterpieces of the petroleum products market
Chris

• Post-aholic
I was disputing that your assertion that petroleum as a physical ingredient of the cardboard made such a difference to the cost.

I am sure the above is negligible compared to all other costs associated with manufacturing/delivering cardboard to the user over the 4 years including wages/transportation (including petrol), as it is for any product

do me a favor, can you repeat that to my cardboard suppliers. When I stated pretty much the same thing, it didn't help my cause very much

-------

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
Oil prices haven't changed that much the past four years.It's just like everything else,they're gouging the customers.
$440 for 25 sleeves...that's around $15-20 a sleeve....it's a plastic sleeve!!! Gouging at it's worst!

Anthony

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
.....The only thing that is keeping me from buying the Bags Unlimited sleeves are the fact that they open on the short end. I have a hard enough time as it is opening the BCE mylar's on the long side and sliding the posters in.

I prefer the "open short end". I agree it is more of an exercise getting the poster in - I use a long plastic rod to loosen the internal surfaces first - but I think this style of pocket offers a little more protection during handling as the length of open area is reduced. 

Mark

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
I prefer the "open short end". I agree it is more of an exercise getting the poster in - I use a long plastic rod to loosen the internal surfaces first - but I think this style of pocket offers a little more protection during handling as the length of open area is reduced. 

Mark

But that doesn't matter if it's damaged trying to get it in.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
I was told that if I ordered 10 or more of the mylar sheets from bagsunlimited that they could be customized for a fee. Only time will tell if that is true or not.

• Post-aholic
I was told that if I ordered 10 or more of the mylar sheets from bagsunlimited that they could be customized for a fee. Only time will tell if that is true or not.

if they said that, they mean it. If Laura said that, she means it also
 ;)

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Now just a few years later, they have nearly doubled to about $800 for 25 mylars and boards.

Plastic. What Im in now!  :D

Cost has gone up yes but has NOT doubled or any where near in the last few years. They are gouging or profiteering plain and simple.