Author Topic: Evil Dead Quad, and Video poster difference....  (Read 10936 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Evil Dead Quad, and Video poster difference....
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 08:31:54 AM »
Nice detective work Ed!  It pays to have friends in high places...  clap

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 08:35:52 AM »
tell that to Jesus.  :(
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:34 AM »
Thanks Harry :)

Sim has done an excellent job of summarising what we now know and where we're at with this investigation, which I'm posting with his permission:

There are two versions of the (November 1982) Evil Dead quad - full-size 30x40 with a white border, and trimmed 28¾ x 38¼ without.  It seems likely - though not yet certain - that both are from the same initial print-run.  The white-border versions are exceptionally rare, with less than 10 copies currently known to exist.  Given that Graham (in the Film on Paper interview) suggests a likely initial run of c.500 copies, we can speculate that only a handful (perhaps 5% or so) escaped the guillotine.

We can assume this for two reasons:  (1) Posters printed 'bleed' HAVE to be printed on oversize paper initially (then trimmed to size), so even the "small" versions would have needed to be printed at 30x40 originally, and (2) The tiny number of surviving 30x40 originals IN ITSELF suggests that the majority of the run was later trimmed.  It just isn't economical to print less than 500 copies of anything on a large-format litho press.

So, the question then becomes, WHY was the majority of the run subsequently trimmed?  At the moment we don't know.  Graham himself isn't sure, despite being present during early stages of printing 'to ensure good colour adjustment'.  It seems possible that Palace's original Publicity Manager Paul Webster might have an idea about this, but we're not confident of getting hold of him to find out.   That's how things stand at the moment - not much further forward than they were to begin with unfortunately.....
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »
Thanks for all you have done to try and get to the bottom of this Ed, personally I still believe what I have always believed ... (and so does Graham by the sound of it) ;) until I have definite proof otherwise...  :)

If these were Originally printed at a full 30x40 why make them smaller than the industry Quad size, if not for another use..? Also the "trimming" is off centre, if you check! Not that that means a lot, but it's shoddy work... Also something to take note of is the folded ones are machine folds and very accurate...

I do hope someone can get a word with this Paul Webster fellow, I say we just Knock on his Door and.....Oh,!! sorry that was another thread... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
Thanks as always Ed for the informative research. I consider there would have been only one print run as well.

I think the explanation is mundane - the printer misunderstood the instructions given to him and trimmed off the "superfluous white border", leaving a few posters uncut. All of the posters, irrespective of their size, were used (because of the low print run) for either theatrical use or video promotion. There would have been little or no practical consequence of the posters being two different sizes and that this was not planned.

Mark  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:13:41 PM by marklawd »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »
It's a good point Mark, but I can't help think 500 posters to cover the Cinema release, and the many Video stores across the country? Seems Nowhere near enough. Think how many Video rental shops there were, must have been well over 500 through out the U.K....And those promoters would know that was going to be their primary market...

It's more than a Hobby...