Author Topic: Linen backing question  (Read 12286 times)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Linen backing question
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »
I would say $250 at most would be reasonable retail for all 9 and that is on the high side.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »
Those aren't THAT rare, there have been multiple auctions posted for them in the last day or so alone all too high priced mind you, but they'll eventually come down unless they find a sucker.  I've learned my lesson, as I know I overpaid for the two bus posters I bought, especially the Depp one which seems to be on eBay in full force now.  Though sometimes it's a gamble on the quantity of these things.  I nabbed a Scarlet Johansson Avengers Bus Shelter, a real nice one sided vinyl sticker type. I've only seen one other on eBay and it went for about the same price, so hopefully that buy will make up for the ones overpaid on.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:55:24 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:05:16 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »
I'd be afraid to pay $350 and then find them selling for $100 or less a month later.  Curious that all these are coming out of San Francisco.  Surely they were printed and hung in other large cities.  That's also the guy who just sold 7 for a $100, and sold 8 for $100 before that!  So 1 to 2 more are really worth the additional $250...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:16:26 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 03:53:17 PM »
They may not be rare but they are hard to find. I remember Warners' released 3 wildings (4 including the playing cards version) for The Dark Knight and I don't remember seeing any on ebay at the time and haven't seen any since. I imagine a set of 9 posters is going to be hard to get unless you are willing to pay through the nose or get very lucky. So far I've seen a set of 8, a set of 7 and then these 2 full sets but that's it. If those for $400 were rolled I'd be very tempted.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
SOLD!

But they are 24x36... does that seem right?  And why they heck are they folded?

Charlie

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »
I got my guy on it...  I told him I would give him $50 if he could get me the set from that gas station...  Stay tuned...

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
SOLD!

But they are 24x36... does that seem right?  And why they heck are they folded?

Yes that is right. I had a contact measure the ones pasted up on the street and that is what he came back with. I guess they are folded because they are pasted up and the fold disappears. Did you get a set?

Charlie

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 07:18:42 PM »
Well I decided to stop on the way home and I think I figured it out.  The guy said he didn't have them yet but that they come from California.  Now the ones that have been showing up are all from California which makes me believe that they will be arriving in Texas any day now.  The ones in California simply had less transit time.  The best thing is that the guy was giving posters away free!  Yeah, Free!  And this also is the reason they are folded because they are placed in a display that would hold, say, a file folder with a sign that says "Free Posters"...  So of course I asked if he had anything else and scored this:

So I went in looking for Eva and came out with Emily; I'll take that as a win.  ;D

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »
They sound like the next step in mini-onesheets.  Disney has been experimenting with larger 'mini' onesheets for a while now... Alice in Wonderland had dual image DS mini's, Ponyo... Going up to the standard commercial size make sense, for a number of reasons, if they intend them to end up in the hands of the public...

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 05:45:50 AM »
I don't think distance has much to do with it. They've been up in New York for at least 2 weeks now.

I also don't think that they are larger 'mini' 1-sheets either. They're the same size as The Dark Knight wildings

Now I'm not saying that Warners' won't release mini 1-sheets as has been said like Disney did with Alice, I just don't think this is what these are.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
'Mini one sheets' is a rather generic term and I was primarily referencing the folded copies above.  By increasing them to that size, one can imagine them being used for multiple purposes.

I used to regularly come across random left-over 'wildings' at random bar/coffeehouse entrances.  Maybe they just standardized the process...

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43:27 AM »
I see what you're saying, but aren't those Dark Shadows posters the same, folded or not? As I understand it Wildings or Fly posters as we call them in the UK are normally folded because they're just slapped up on a billboard illegally and once covered in paste the folds disappear.

Matt

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
There's pretty much only one rule in linen backing. Don't back a double sided poster. Other than that, do what YOU want to do.

Charlie

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »
!!!VIOLATED!!!

I've been offered this press sheet (or at least Holiday and I think it is a press sheet) but it is linenbacked...  I'll probably try to get it on the cheap just for the looks...  Armin - have you seen this one before?

Biggest Bundle of All...

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »
Her bra is too small

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »
Or is it?...