Author Topic: Moviepostersgallery.com  (Read 78723 times)

guest4955

Re: Eatbrie.com
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
Well, considering I add between 1,200 and 1,400 posters a year, you are a tiny bit off there, Mr. Mel.  At 1,200/year, I would own 49,000 posters in 30 years.  That would be a pretty decent collection.

T

That's from your sons' future collection, eatbriedeux.com! You'll either bite the dust, ha-ha, burn out on the hobby, or give in to your sons' begging to take over your collection.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2017, 10:20:24 PM »
That's from your sons' future collection, eatbriedeux.com! You'll either bite the dust, ha-ha, burn out on the hobby, or give in to your sons' begging to take over your collection.

No, collecting is my thing.  It is not something I wish to pass on to my kids, because at the end of the day, it's a gigantic waste of time.  I hope they can do better than that.  I'll probably give my collection away or burn it before it happens.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2017, 12:06:14 AM »
No, collecting is my thing.  It is not something I wish to pass on to my kids, because at the end of the day, it's a gigantic waste of time.  I hope they can do better than that.  I'll probably give my collection away or burn it before it happens.

T

Most human leisure activity is a waste of time:

- my ex spent endless hours interacting with her 700+ Facebook friends
- my coworker watches "every single" NASCAR race start to finish
- my childhood best friend plays the bagpipes, although to my ears every song sounds exactly the same
- you watch 1000 movies a year
- my sister gardens and worships her yippy dog

I could go on....

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2017, 12:26:10 AM »
My point exactly.  You always want better for your kids.

My family has been in the art business since 1850.  All collectors.  My father collected fine art, I moved to the US, got into the movie industry and now collect movie posters.  It obviously a down slope that I will try very hard to end.  Let my kids create their own "waste of time," and not subject them to mine.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2017, 02:24:37 AM »
My point exactly.  You always want better for your kids.

My family has been in the art business since 1850.  All collectors.  My father collected fine art, I moved to the US, got into the movie industry and now collect movie posters.  It obviously a down slope that I will try very hard to end.  Let my kids create their own "waste of time," and not subject them to mine.

T

I kind of feel the same way.  Except that every penny I spend now really belongs to my kids later.  If what I spend now on posters, stocks, or anything else can make their life better later, then so be it.  They may never like posters at all.  But, if they can sell them later and make it easier for them to send my grandkids to college or even to buy them a car, then who am I to deny them that.  I enjoyed it, and it leaves something that they can use to make their life a little bit better.  It will be up to them to decide what to do with them.  I owe them that for the time I have spent over the years in the hobby.  Everyone should have their own waste of time, and using mine to enrich theirs is the least I can do.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2017, 02:44:06 AM »
Totally agree.  Which is why it makes me happy to see a lot of my 70s, 80s, and 90s posters sell for 5, sometimes 10 times what I paid for them.  I do not intend to sell, but it's nice to know my personal "waste of time" was not a complete financial waste and that it could be worth more than I paid for.  There are no guarantees, but at this moment in time, it certainly looks like it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2017, 09:40:37 PM »
No way Mel, most of my collection fits into two 10-drawer cabinets and pretty much the last six decades are evenly represented. I buy perhaps 30 - 50 posters a year.

Mark

But what we have learned of the years and what they have in common is, if you see marklawd or eatbrie bidding you might as well throw in the towel.  ;D

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2017, 03:47:29 AM »
But what we have learned of the years and what they have in common is, if you see marklawd or eatbrie bidding you might as well throw in the towel.  ;D

You won't see "marklawd"  bidding because I stopped using that name, in Bruce's auctions at least, years ago :)

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2017, 04:52:06 AM »
I wonder if seeing usernames that are recognisable makes people think twice about bidding or encourages higher bids running up the price?

I'll admit to not bidding in the past on items when I see some names. Now I just bid and cross my fingers.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
This is just for me, folks.  I'm trying to put together a gallery of what has been on my walls over the past 5-6 years.

T
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:20:05 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »
There was also a large poster (6 sheet?) in a garden type outdoor setting with your two kids I think

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2017, 06:00:30 PM »
Yes, there are a few pictures I haven't been able to find yet.  Still looking :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
It can be just for you, but thank you for posting.  Very cool stuff T.

Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

guest4955

« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
This is just for me, folks.  I'm trying to put together a gallery of what has been on my walls over the past 5-6 years.

T

Frames at Thierry's abode? Well, I want to believe but suspect some kind of conspiracy!  8)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #164 on: September 29, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »
  But, if they can sell them later and make it easier for them to send my grandkids to college or even to buy them a car, then who am I to deny them that.  I enjoyed it, and it leaves something that they can use to make their life a little bit better.  It will be up to them to decide what to do with them.  I owe them that for the time I have spent over the years in the hobby.  Everyone should have their own waste of time, and using mine to enrich theirs is the least I can do.

It's a nice thought, but having seen many times the end when exasperated inheritors suddenly are left with a pile of stuff they don't want (mom/dad wasted all their time on this, no way am I wasting my time on it sorting everything now that they're gone"), I can tell you they will be much happier if you take care of the disposition of your collection yourself. 
What will make their life better is not having to deal with someone's enormous collection.

I work at writing notes for things in my collection ("this needs to go to collector X in Japan, this should be sent to Heritage, etc.,) but the last thing I would want to do is burden my wife (or kids) with the problem of having to sort and sell everything. Hope I don't go suddenly and let them face that chore and that I am able to take care of it myself.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2017, 02:35:12 PM »
It's a nice thought, but having seen many times the end when exasperated inheritors suddenly are left with a pile of stuff they don't want (mom/dad wasted all their time on this, no way am I wasting my time on it sorting everything now that they're gone"), I can tell you they will be much happier if you take care of the disposition of your collection yourself. 
What will make their life better is not having to deal with someone's enormous collection.

I work at writing notes for things in my collection ("this needs to go to collector X in Japan, this should be sent to Heritage, etc.,) but the last thing I would want to do is burden my wife (or kids) with the problem of having to sort and sell everything. Hope I don't go suddenly and let them face that chore and that I am able to take care of it myself.

Words of wisdom.
I'm in the process of sorting, shooting and selling my stash now.
 cheers

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2017, 03:30:46 PM »
I have a spreadsheet that has everything... when I purchased a given poster, from whom, how much I paid for it, where it is physically located, for each of my 13,000+ posters.  I have an addendum to my Eatbrie.com website (not listed because it would be obnoxious) that lists every poster worth more than $500 (the lowest price worth insuring).  It has the price I paid and the price it recently sold for.  This is all my heirs will need to know to not get robbed.

This being said, I strongly believe that collecting posters is a hobby and I would hope collectors don't put all their eggs in the same basket, because their heirs might be slightly disappointed. There are zillion better ways to park your money and make it grow.  If movie posters are your kids future, good luck to you and them.

T
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:25:40 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »
Frames at Thierry's abode? Well, I want to believe but suspect some kind of conspiracy!  8)

Well, these are over the course of a few years.  It's pretty much the same frame with different posters.

T
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »
Spotted this on the mean streets of DC a few years ago:

I'd say it applies equally to your collection... ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »
The Redskins and a disgustingly old Cadillac?  I think not ;)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2017, 10:58:45 PM »
Words of wisdom.
I'm in the process of sorting, shooting and selling my stash now.
 cheers
Ted, what gives?  Where + why are you selling? 

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2017, 03:36:46 AM »
Ted, what gives?  Where + why are you selling?

Hey Vick.  This winter marks my 50th year collecting movie posters and the time has come to lighten the load.

Remember Lynaron?  He left us all so suddenly and way too early.  If I'm not mistaken, it was a fatal stroke during a move.
When I moved back out here to the Adirondacks last year, the toughest part was moving the friggin' posters.  Just too many of them.  During that move, I had a few TIA's (mini-strokes) and been visiting doctors ever since.  I had vascular surgery last month and another scheduled for December.  I'm lucky that I'm feeling better, but I've also seen the writing on the wall.

Last thing I want to do is leave my three kids with the burden of liquidating thousands of posters when I do check out, so the time has come to focus on my health, my children and my art.
I've been selling some recent acquisitions on ebay, but plan on using the forums to find good homes for the rest.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2017, 05:21:05 AM »
Good on you Ted. Sounds like an easy and sensible decision. Get well soon.

I've barely collected any posters in years. They sure are a burden if moving around. I wouldn't be surprised if I get ride of mine in the next year or two, just a bit difficult as shipping to dealer in USA is too hard from OZ

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »
Thanks, Steve!
I'm feeling better and stronger each and every day.

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »

I'm sure it will be hard passing with a lifetime's worth of collecting, but it sounds like you've made a wise choice.

Keep on keeping on as they say buddy!

Thanks, Steve!
I'm feeling better and stronger each and every day.