Author Topic: Evil Dead Pre-wide release, silkscreen festival 1-sheet  (Read 8117 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Evil Dead Pre-wide release, silkscreen festival 1-sheet
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
Some of you may recall that an odd Evil Dead poster was sold recently on eBay...

It was a very cryptic listing with almost no info.  And when someone asked the dimensions, the seller responded with approx. 27x40".  Not a good sign if this poster was actually printed in 1983 as the roman numeral date shows.  I'm a huge fan of rare posters and Evil Dead, so after seeing this (thanks for posting Severen!), I contacted the seller -- lamenting that I missed the auction and was wondering if they happened to have a second copy.  To my surprise, he did have a second copy in slightly better condition that he was planning on keeping for himself.  However, after confirming that the dimensions were actually 27x41" (oops on his part!) I made an offer a bit above the original eBay sale and he accepted.  Yay.  While this was all happening, I was trying to prod and poke y'all for more infomation to see if it was indeed legit... but I ended up doing quite a bit of digging myself -- I reposted my findings below.  

I asked the seller to verify the dimensions and he said he made a mistake... it is 27"x41" so it is the correct size for the time period.  He also said he's had it for "25+ years" so that is also good news if true.  

As for the name difference (Evil Dead vs. The Evil Dead), I've been doing some research there as well. The original name was actually Book of the Dead when it premiered in Michigan in 1981.  

Raimi then met Irvin Shapiro who helped trying to get a wider release... he was the one who suggested the name change.  According to this awesome site on the film's production and release (great read by the way!), his naming suggesting was "The Evil Dead", but I found this Variety ad (dated May 3rd, 1982) which shows that they also dropped the "The" for at least some of the early US screenings (sorry for the large image).  

Notice any similarities in the image, title font and tagline?  That Chainsaw-over-the-head still image was commissioned well after filming had wrapped by Shapiro as he wanted better marketing materials.

According to IMDB, the movie was shown off and on throughout the world between 1981 and early 1983 at various small screenings and film festivals... and (per the above link) it actually was picked up for UK distribution (and nearly immediate video release) starting in March 1982, well before New Line picked it up for a wide release in the US.  That means those full size 30x40 Evil Dead quads (w/white borders) pre-date the 1-sheet by more than a year!  For those of you familiar with the quad, it is also titled "The Evil Dead," not just "Evil Dead."  However, I think the US and UK are the only regions where they kept the "The" for the final release.  As we have seen (so far at least), The Netherlands, Turkey and Australia all use the same title font as this mystery poster and they drop the "The" in the title.  

This all lends credence to this poster being an international 1-sheet, which, ta daaa... that Evil Dead site's collectible page shows and indeed lists it as an int'l 1-sheet poster (folded and everything)! To see their poster section, scroll WAAAAYYYY down towards the bottom.

Even in that small, shitty picture above, it clearly looks to be a matte finish poster as it would have reflections along the folds otherwise.  

So is this case closed?  Are we confirming it to be an official New Line printed, really rare and really awesome int'l 1-sheet?

After being convinced it was the real deal, I went ahead with the purchase.  I just received the poster yesterday and it's definitely an odd bird.  

1) The paper is thicker than regular poster print of the day... not quite card stock, but not far off either.  What is weird is that even though the paper is thick, it appears to have a 'loose' density and has a matte finish on both sides.  That is a bad description, but if you see the picture of the back side, you notice a lot of ink bleed through... I never would have expected that given the thickness of the paper.  

2) The print quality seems pretty rough.  Check out the half-tone dots in the close-up and the edges of the text in the Stephen King quote.

3) The inks are also matte and they are layered.  I took an "off-axis" photo and you can definitely see that the black back ground was printed over the original red and skin-tone layers.  This poster looks like it could very well have been screen-printed!  Again, if you look at the photo of the back you can clearly see where the red went down first, then the skin-tone, then the black.  Cool!

When taking into consideration the size, wear, paper stock, and feel along with my above research, I'm pretty comfortable assuming this poster is indeed from the original 1983 wide release.  If nothing else, it could be from one of the many film festival releases.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there is much to add at this point, but I figured I would post this up here for future reference.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:31:08 PM by brude »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Evil Dead International 1-sheet
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
Nice work Matt.

Love these investigative posts!
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »
Awesome win there, Matt.   thumbup 

The different features of it make it very interesting and very cool.  The off-axis shot really shows the high quality of it.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »
Definitely a sweet poster Matt and I agree with Chris, I enjoy reading the work you put into it.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »
Good for you, Matt.
You can forward it to me and I'll have all that nasty tape removed from the back for you.
I mean... what are friends for?
 cheers

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 03:16:47 PM »
Thanks for the offer Ted  :P

If this is indeed screen printed, I'm a little nervous to take bestine to it.  While I've never had any problems with other posters, I'm not sure how this different ink/paper will react. 

And thanks for the kind words all.  I've been dragging my feet for ages on picking up the regular blue-hand 1-sheet.  As mentioned, I love the movie, but that poster just didn't seem to go for some reason.  And given what it sells for in decent shape, I always found it difficult to justify the cost.  This int'l 1-sheet, on the other hand, is a much better fit for the movie IMO.  And call me crazy, but I love that this was screen printed to boot -- it is just perfect given how this movie was made on a shoe-string budget and took years of creative marketing and salesmanship before finally securing a wide release!  I bet they had so few english-language overseas bookings that it wasn't even worth a full order from the printers.  I can just picture Raimi overseeing some print lackeys scrambling to get a small stack of these made up!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »
Nice score and an interesting post too.

I have a Seven Samurai quad by Peter Strausfeld which looks similar in terms of the inky appearance (you can just about make it out on my poor picture below around the lower half like around the collar and his beard...which seems a bit of a miss-inking!). I think his posters are lino-cut, so maybe this one is too? Judging by the simple colours used, a screen print or lino cut seems a good shout I think. Congrats, it's a cool poster!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:35:08 PM by Tob »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 04:29:30 PM »
Nice score and an interesting post too.

I have a Seven Samurai quad by Peter Strausfeld which looks similar in terms of the inky appearance (you can just about make it out on my poor picture below around the lower half like around the collar and his beard...which seems a bit of a miss-inking!). I think his posters are lino-cut, so maybe this one is too? Judging by the simple colours used, a screen print or lino cut seems a good shout I think. Congrats, it's a cool poster!

Great minds think alike!  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1665.msg25841.html#msg25841

I think the process for putting ink down is similar between lino-cut and screen printing (the layered approach I mean).  However, I don't think you would be able to produce those half-tone dots using lino-cut which is why I was thinking screen printing.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:13:26 PM »
Sure looks like a screen print

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »
Sure looks like a screen print

My thought as well, which would make particular sense if these were indeed for film festival releases.  Either way, it's a nice poster with probably the most iconic image from the films, although I have a soft spot for the original one sheet which has a great, if not emblematic, horror image and one of my favorites...

If you offered just above the closing price of the previous sale, but were balking at the prices of the standard one sheet, then what kind of prices are you seeing for US one sheet?  Has it pulled a NOES?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 08:22:25 PM »
If you offered just above the closing price of the previous sale, but were balking at the prices of the standard one sheet, then what kind of prices are you seeing for US one sheet?  Has it pulled a NOES?

Pretty much.  Bruce sells them in VG-F or better for $3-400.  Even on eBay they are regularly $300+.  Like I said, I like the regular one-sheet, but I had trouble plunking down $300+ to get one... I've almost pulled the trigger on multiple occasions.  Something was holding me back though. However, this one appeared to be quite rare and a much better/fitting image for the movie (IMO of course) that I finally ponied up.  I figure this one is worth $500+ easy on rarity/image alone.  Who knows if the guy has a stack of 100 of these, though.  I'm happy regardless.  Best poster for the film if I do say so myself.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 07:39:26 AM »
Pretty much.  Bruce sells them in VG-F or better for $3-400.  Even on eBay they are regularly $300+.  Like I said, I like the regular one-sheet, but I had trouble plunking down $300+ to get one... I've almost pulled the trigger on multiple occasions.  Something was holding me back though. However, this one appeared to be quite rare and a much better/fitting image for the movie (IMO of course) that I finally ponied up.  I figure this one is worth $500+ easy on rarity/image alone.  Who knows if the guy has a stack of 100 of these, though.  I'm happy regardless.  Best poster for the film if I do say so myself.

I haven't paid particular attention since I found a deal on my copy (they were in the $75-85 (folded) range at the time).  Facing $300+ for the regular one sheet, I think that most people would do as you did - iconic image and all that...  Your estimate seems solid, although, once you puncture the 'few hundred' mark, accuracy starts getting dicier in general.

One thing is for certain, either version is better than any of the ED2 posters.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
Great stuff Matt. Did you ask the seller where he originally got them from?
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
I did, but he couldn't recall. He said he had them for 25+ years, though. Judging by the aging on the paper, I have no reason to doubt him.

My main concern at this point is to stop the tanning/foxing. I have a friend who is a print maker.  He said this was most likely done with oil-based inks, not water-based kike people use today and that that can lead to foxing problems.  I have it on acid-free backing in a poly bag now... I just hope that is enough to stop it. It's not terrible, but if you look at the bottom quarter of the poster, you can definitely see it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
Bravo, Matt.

Great to see that you got a copy for yourself. Looks to be in mighty fine condition, as well. And the slight area and small patches of foxing dont look too severe; especially knowing that you can have your print maker friend remedy that (or recommend someone who does this kind of work).    clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 09:02:47 AM »
I just heard back from the guy who runs that Evil Dead website... Here is what he had to say:

Well Renaissance signed the distribution deal with New Line on January 6th, 1983, and first opened in New York on April 15, of 1983, so it would seem likely that this poster was created during that time. The photo on which this poster is based was taken in early 1982; Bruce & Mike Ditz got together with Bridget Hoffman and took those now infamous stills, such as the chainsaw-over-the-head, among others. New Line only had the US rights, nothing overseas, so this would have to had been a poster intended for the USA, nothing international, otherwise it wouldn't have their name on. February 4, 1983, it did have a sneak preview in New York, so this could have been an early promo poster for that? I know I have it listed as an international poster, but I only had that little image to go on. Now I can see yours, then I know i was wrong about that, and I'll update that.

Cheers

So, it looks as though we may need to change the title on this thread.  Maybe instead of 'international 1-sheet' we should call this one a 'pre-wide release, silkscreen festival 1-sheet'?  Does that sound about right?  If so can one of the mods make that happen?  Thanks.

One thing is for certain... I'm glad I picked this one up while I had the chance!

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »
It's a gem, no question!  bed1
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Mikewarrior

Re: Evil Dead Pre-wide release, silkscreen festival 1-sheet
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »
I'm jealous

Offline Severen

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Congrats! Haven't visited the forum in some time and just came across this post, I'm jealous! I remember eyeing this on eBay and it jumped from a few $ to several hundred $ in the last few seconds of the auction. That's very cool that you were able to wrestle another copy from the seller. It's funny because I was thinking about this poster the other day, mad at myself that I didn't bid higher and wondering who the lucky buyer was. I'm sure we will see some renewed interest in this title with the upcoming remake in a few months. Anyways just wanted to congratulate you on this score and say thanks for researching its origins as I was left wondering where this piece came from. Please let me know if you ever stumble across another one ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
Please let me know if you ever stumble across another one ;D

Don't hold your breath - Matt NEVER finds anything cool in weird places ;)
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 02:10:42 AM »
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
I recently I realized that I never tracked down the origin of the Stephen King quote.  After doing a bit digging, I found out that Stephen King attended Cannes in May 1982 and absolutely loved the movie (he reported that it received standing ovations).  That is where Raimi secured distribution rights for most countries around the world -- but the US was still sadly lacking, the deal with New Line would still be almost a year away.  Flash forward to Nov. 1982 when Stephen King wrote a review of the film for Twilight Zone magazine.  Most published accounts on the web are sloppy though, alternatively attributing the quote on my poster to the Cannes screening or from the magazine.  Just a few weeks ago I finally tracked down an old copy of the magazine and sure enough the quote was in there... kind of.  Here is the first paragraph:

When I met Sam Raimi at the Cannes Film Festival in May of 1982, my first thought was that this fellow was one of three things: a busboy, a runaway American high school student, or a genius.  He wasn't a busboy, and Raimi finished high school some time ago, although he has the sort of ageless sophomore looks that are going to keep bartenders asking to see his driver's license or state liquor card until he's at least thirty-five.  That he is a genius is yet unproven; that he has made the most ferociously original horror film of 1982 seems to me beyond doubt.  The only problem is that you may never see it.
-Stephen King, Twilight Zone Magazine November 1982 pp. 20-22

It is really close, but still not quite correct.  The poster has "of the year" instead of "of 1982".  I did some more digging and found these:

- From: If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor By Bruce Campbell

From: The Unseen Force: The Films of Sam Raimi By John Kenneth Muir

So again, the quote seems to change slightly in every retelling of the story.  I still haven't figured out the mystery, but it sounds that, as Bruce Campbell states, the quote did originate with the Twilight Zone magazine and it was a huge coup for Raimi and Shapiro.  Within 2 months of the Twilight Zone publication they had secured a New Line deal.  If I had to guess, they begged King to use it on the promotional materials, but by that time it was 1983 and requested that it be made slightly more generic for advertising purposes. That's the current working theory anyway...

The New Line logo on my poster means it must date from after their signing on January 6th, 1983 -- so sadly the quote from Nov. 1982 doesn't really help date the poster any.  But it does appear to be one of the first uses of it for promotional reasons.  

If anyone is interested in reading the original Stephen King article, it's a fantastic read.  I hosted it here:  'The Evil Dead' Why you haven't seen it yet... and why you ought to -- By Stephen King, Twilight Zone November 1982

There was also a great early interview with John Carpenter in the same issue: John Carpenter: Doing His Own Thing -- Twilight Zone November 1982

And be sure to check out the pre-release fan-club-type Blade Runner advertisement on the last page!  

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »
Great research Matt!
Any excuse is good to look at that fabulous poster again!!
 thumbsup.gif
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
Thanks Matias!  I still need to get a better photograph of it now that I have a decent setup. 

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 09:38:04 AM »
And you can use the pic in that upcoming website of you...

waiting1
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo