Author Topic: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin  (Read 210393 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Re: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« Reply #350 on: August 27, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »

I have been catching up on a lot threads today, and this one is a true standout. Charlie, you should get the APF award for "Thread of the Year."   clap

Your poster energy is off the charts.  At least now, you are not staying up all night trying to find Turkish postcards for the Black Swan.  The thread is very informative for those who want to learn.  And finally, the helpful advice offered to you in the thread shows a great spirit of community.

You have definitely but the final nail in the coffin of me buying any linen posters post 1970.  I am amazed at your before and after photos.  I might actually devalue a "must have" poster because it has been restored.  But, that is only my opinion.  I totally understand why a 1945 poster restored would be more enjoyable to look at, but a 1978 Star Wars should be raw.

Your poster baths and crease removal are really looking good.

Keep up the good work,

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Charlie

« Reply #351 on: August 28, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »
Wow! You guys flatter me.  I am just trying my best...

Charlie

« Reply #352 on: August 28, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »
New gorilla video... I am going to have to get the tripod up and going the shaking and blurriness may make you sick...  Some input on mediums for touch-ups...

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #353 on: August 28, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »
Wow! You guys flatter me.  I am just trying my best...

Charlie, your thread has over 8K views, that is staggering.  That means that people from all over the net are following your journey.  Heck, I was proud when I framed in my 6 sheet and then you go and build a professional poster restoration work station.  My only consolation is that Texas A&M will not be a factor in the SEC this year.   ;D

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #354 on: September 02, 2012, 10:09:59 PM »
Cool video on the touch ups.  That stuff is pretty fancy.  I was thinking that for most minor stuff, it would involve something like using colored pencils, and a setup like the "the art department at the daybill printers."  ;D  Seriously though, it would be neat to see a video of you doing some of the work professional style.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:47:40 PM by NeoLoco »

Charlie

« Reply #355 on: September 02, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »
Yeah it is more of me saying "is this grey?" to receive a response of "no that's green - you didn't do anything yet, right?" - "no..." Then I quickly remove my work and say: "you are so good at this; let me know what I can do..."

I am just an applicator.

Here are some B&A from my/our latest stuff:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:52:56 PM by Charlie »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #356 on: September 02, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
I was just goofin' about "the art department at the daybill printers."  I forgot about your condition with difficulty distinguishing certain colors.  It's not all bad, though, since you can make it more of a family/team effort dealio, to help do good work.  From the pictures, all the stuff you've done looks excellent.   thumbup

Charlie

« Reply #357 on: September 02, 2012, 11:38:11 PM »
I was just goofin' about "the art department at the daybill printers."  I forgot about your condition with difficulty distinguishing certain colors.  It's not all bad, though, since you can make it more of a family/team effort dealio, to help do good work.  From the pictures, all the stuff you've done looks excellent.   thumbup

No worries; I knew you were goofin'... But the ironic thing is that it really is a team effort because even though I am colorblind my wife seems to be contrast-blind at times... Plus she isn't real precise with the airbrush; yet...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #358 on: September 02, 2012, 11:57:15 PM »
Right on.  Looks like y'all are the dream team of restoration.  Keep up the good work.  sm1

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #359 on: September 03, 2012, 12:34:54 AM »
Ready to give this one a go, Charlie?  Its mostly black, so i figure it should be an easy resto job, right? wynk
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:35:36 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Charlie

« Reply #360 on: September 03, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »
Yeah sure... My plan is to finish my backlog and do the 20+ poster in my stack. Then back to helping you guys out... Got some great news from the wife last night; she is going to let me have the informal/family permanently but I have to give up the poster lair for a theater/family room... no brainer right....

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #361 on: September 03, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
I have a couple Id like to send out to you.

Have you posted a pricing schedule?

Charlie

« Reply #362 on: September 03, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »
I have a couple Id like to send out to you.

Have you posted a pricing schedule?

No pricing schedule... probably never will be.  Just send me a Grace Kelly or two.   ;)  I don't want the pressures of a second job so as long as it stays as informal and liesurely as possible I'll keep doing it.  Besides you guys know who the pros are.  I am just having fun trying to perfect a craft.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #363 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:27 AM »
Your recent restos posted above are excellent.
A little bit of love goes a long way.
 cheers

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #364 on: September 03, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
No pricing schedule... probably never will be.  Just send me a Grace Kelly or two.   ;)  I don't want the pressures of a second job so as long as it stays as informal and liesurely as possible I'll keep doing it.  Besides you guys know who the pros are.  I am just having fun trying to perfect a craft.

With a collection of two, I dont have any extra GKs to spare.  :P

Very cool. Was just making sure. You are using materials and doing some type of activity for a second party. Maybe when you are done with the backlog.  :)

Charlie

« Reply #365 on: September 22, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »
Well here is the final B&A... Mel asked me to touch up the forehead cross fold with the airbrush and the wife did such a good job on the colors that it made the light touch ups on the adjacent folds pop out.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #366 on: September 22, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »
Verrrrry nice!
Mel is gonna be stoked.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #367 on: September 22, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »
Ferkn sweet job Charlie! Well done
David

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #368 on: September 22, 2012, 09:17:58 PM »
I think it is great your wife is right into it

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #369 on: September 23, 2012, 01:08:40 AM »
Fantastic job Charlie!

I too agree it's great you and your wife can both do something you enjoy together
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #370 on: September 23, 2012, 10:27:12 AM »
Charlie, thats great work You are hired!

Let me know when you have free time and you wanna try a couple of Italian 2Fs.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #371 on: September 30, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
Looks great framed too!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 01:08:31 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest8

« Reply #372 on: September 30, 2012, 02:13:24 PM »
Charlie, thats great work You are hired!

Let me know when you have free time and you wanna try a couple of Italian 2Fs.

Ive been trying to get him to do 4 & 6 sheets as well! Come on Charlie .. you know you wanna try some awesome large format posters! :)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #373 on: September 30, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »
Looks great framed too!

Gte no arguments from me - looks superb.
David

Charlie

« Reply #374 on: September 30, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
Thank guys!  I still look at it and think we could have done a bit better. I guess this is a good trait.  I know Mel wanted more of an original feel/look to it... When we were doing it we kept thinking we could drown the colors on the folds but just tried to do minimal work; which is what Mel wanted...  It really is a fine line between keeping a piece original and trying to make it something it is not.  You can actually go too far.  It turned out almost perfect for what I think he wanted...

So an update on my skillz development - I finally figured out how to make the fill paste that the pros use... It is Methyl Cellulose + cellulose powder. I mixed a batch last night and experimented with it today.  Great stuff! PM uses it on paper loss smaller than an quarter.   This is also what they use to gel back posters; the more liquid form...  It is quite rigid when dry. I guess I need to try and gel back a poster but I have to figure out the holytex/isinglass process...

Thanks Mel for letting me bring Veronica back to life - glad you like it!