Author Topic: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin  (Read 210354 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Re: Amatuer Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
Charlie, What happens to the gloss on the 80s poster?
Your doing a great job!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:48:20 PM by bigmike »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Amatuer Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »
Charlie, you gonna try any 80s/90s paper(the ones with some gloss) to see if they can be backed?

Your doing a great job!

Mike - Charlie already posted the "Heartbreak Ridge" earlier on...
Chris

Charlie

Re: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2012, 12:20:16 AM »
Ok the Belgians are down and the real fun starts tomorrow having the fighter poster and two quad frames and canvases ready to go...

Here are the comparison pics.

The My Fair Lady turned out best.  You'll have to excuse the pic for some reason (I think because I switched from a two light to four light system or that the white balance now took into account the masa??) that the after pic is a bit dull...  But as you can tell the touch-ups went really well...

Click to enlarge...

http://www.abideposters.com/apf_junk/lb_stuff/smalls/small001L_after.jpg

The Dirty Harry was an ass of a poster to touch up.  I nailed the blacks and am quite proud of that.  Getting the oranges and pinks right was a nightmare.  At one point we thought we had it and I brought it up for pics but under fluorescent light it was a totally different color.  But one thing I learned was that watercolors are most definitely reversible...  As I wiped most of the touch-ups off...  I may try again when my patience returns...

Click to enlarge...

http://www.abideposters.com/apf_junk/lb_stuff/smalls/small002L_after.jpg

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2012, 12:24:28 AM »
Looking good Charlie.  Keep up the experimentation!
Chris

Matt

« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »
Audrey looks much better, but doesn't she always. ;)

Charlie

« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2012, 12:34:17 AM »
Audrey looks much better, but doesn't she always. ;)

I really like blowing them up and scrolling to compare each area...  That Dirty Harry was a stinker.  Probably started Fair to good.  It looked like someone had folded it over and over 1000 times...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:34:34 AM by Charlie »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2012, 12:36:28 AM »
Nice work, Charlie. 
Before you know it, you'll be working on Berwick 2.
 cheers

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2012, 12:57:02 AM »
Truly a great job Charlie

In your professional opinion from what grade to what grade have you taken these posters?
David

Matt

« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2012, 12:59:55 AM »

Where's this chick, Charlie?

Charlie

« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2012, 01:08:11 AM »
Truly a great job Charlie

In your professional opinion from what grade to what grade have you taken these posters?

First this is an amateur thread so in my still amateur opinion:

I would have to say the My Fair Lady is pretty spot on...  There is some paper loss in the dead space at the top that I decided to leave because it makes it more original (to me and its mine) when most people just cut it off.  There was a 1/2" tear on the left that is now pretty much gone.  Else after I was done with it I would give it a Very Good to Fine grade (Bruce's Grading).  Some of the touchups you can't even tell and overall it looks very crisp like it wasn't restored.  He might dock me on the slight run off that my wife committed before I could get the artist tape down, but I am very proud of this one.

The Dirty Harry is a good example of when starting with shit after you shine it, it is still shit...  I don't think I improved this one much more that it was.  The folds are still very distracting and even though I repaired a separation and did solid on the blacks, this one is still only Good at best so I may have pulled it from Fair to Good...

Else they are what they are...  

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:22 AM »

Who knows what would happen if I found her

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:11:21 AM by Silhouette »
David

Charlie

« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:01 AM »

The chick was a fail my friend when I was trying to pick up the extra wheat paste with a sponge I went and rubbed her top off...  But the best bits of the poster turned out ok...  It still backed well and I continued just to see what placing two pieces would be like and that came out really well you can hardly feel the seem...

Matt

« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2012, 01:22:19 AM »
I sorry about Jacqueline mate but I'm talking Raquel. ;)

Charlie

« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2012, 01:28:24 AM »
I sorry about Jacqueline mate but I'm talking Raquel. ;)

Still drying... Started letting them congeal for about three days before cutting them down. I checked it today and it is as crisp as a fresh dollar bill...

Here is the shot from the other day...

Matt

« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2012, 01:35:42 AM »
Oh yeah baby! 8)  clap

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2012, 03:21:15 AM »
Yuuup!

thumbup
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »
Daybills really agree with the linenbacking process.   The folds disappear and the colours pop without too much work at all!
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »
Daybills really agree with the linenbacking process.   The folds disappear and the colours pop without too much work at all!

That ain't the only thing 'popping' on that daybill.

guest8

« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
 pcorn cheers pcorn

the chip guy

« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
That ain't the only thing 'popping' on that daybill.

rofl1

I'm loving these! Keep them coming Charlie pcorn

Charlie

« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »
Update: Chip Guy's Fighter Poster

First I removed all the remaining tape residue from the front and back with Bestine and then sanded down the non-sticky residue on the back.  And then all hell broke loose when I got it wet.  This one started de-laminating after the first wash.  Bubbles started forming between the front glossy side and the back paper side.  So after a hour of oh so carefully taking an exacto and breaking the bubbles to release the fluid pockets it actually turned out ok..  There were some issues but I think once I touch it up it well present very well.  It was a bitch though Jon! 

I just made a gallery. also showed stretching a canvas...

http://www.abideposters.com/apf_junk/jons_backings/poster2/index.htm

Pulpfixin exhausted and had to have a drink after this one...

Charlie

« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2012, 12:00:31 AM »
Update:  Never Ending Story Quad

I first had to remove a large piece of tape on the back side.  I then washed with orvus, soaked in CaCO3 for about 15-20 minutes (of course rinsing after each) and then a final distilled water wash before mounting...  It went on very nicely.  Although it was very wet when I put it on it should be fine but I need to let them dry a little before slapping them on.  I wet burnished the folds and am just waiting for it to dry to start working on the touch ups.  The tear came back together nicely and should do well with minor touch up...  Whew!

Another gallery because I am tipsy and lazy at this point... Two in one night (especially with the fighter fiasco)...

http://www.abideposters.com/apf_junk/daves_backings/nes/index.htm

guest8

« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2012, 06:11:23 AM »
Woohoo .. Looking awesome! Cant wait to see what you have for us tonight!! :)

Oh and BTW .. that clown kinda creeps me out! :P

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
A tip for using the Bestine for tape removal... Don't saturate the poster too much.  I had fully saturated the tape (and poster) from front and back to hopefully loosen a stubborn piece of tape.  I turned out removing a thin layer of the artwork in two places as I gently pulled the tape back!  And it wasn't from recklessly pulling the tape.  It happened in an instant and there was no saving it.  I think the Bestine had saturated the poster so much that the surface became fragile.  If you think it might be a stubborn piece of tape, it might be good to saturate and then let it dry, then saturate and let dry... that might help to weaken the tape bond, while letting the poster regain it's integrity.  Then do it one more time and actually pull the tape without saturating the poster so heavily.  Just an idea... I'm still a newbie with this.

Charlie

« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »
A tip for using the Bestine for tape removal... Don't saturate the poster too much.  I had fully saturated the tape (and poster) from front and back to hopefully loosen a stubborn piece of tape.  I turned out removing a thin layer of the artwork in two places as I gently pulled the tape back!  And it wasn't from recklessly pulling the tape.  It happened in an instant and there was no saving it.  I think the Bestine had saturated the poster so much that the surface became fragile.  If you think it might be a stubborn piece of tape, it might be good to saturate and then let it dry, then saturate and let dry... that might help to weaken the tape bond, while letting the poster regain it's integrity.  Then do it one more time and actually pull the tape without saturating the poster so heavily.  Just an idea... I'm still a newbie with this.

I've never had this happen.  Though I do try to let the bestine work from both sides...  The pictures may look like I just drenched it but the poster soaked it up really quickly. It was only two q-tip fulls on the first pic and then as I lifted it away..  The way I finish it off once a corned comes up is by rubbing the q-tip w/bestine just above the tool on the tape which lets it travel down to where the tape, tool, and poster meet and then gently move the tool (the new one I got in the pic is sooo much better for this; I use to use just a q-tip or end of a fork or spoon) sliding and allowing the tape to just lift away.

It may be that the surface of the poster had already detached?  Before tape removal? 

Now on really stubborn stuff I have use a much more aggressive solvent I think it is called "goo be gone" that did take the ink off of a poster but it didn't take surface...  Plus they were Italians and may have been lower quality inks to start with; on that very thin paper...