Author Topic: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin  (Read 210384 times)

Bruce

Re: Amatuer Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2012, 10:00:19 PM »
If you are hiring, these two are available:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2012, 10:05:26 PM »
Yay Toronto!
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2012, 10:09:02 PM »
FREE LINEN-BACKING FOR EVERYBODY!  WOO-HOO!  woohoo

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:12:34 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2012, 10:35:30 PM »
Child labor laws do not apply for amateur works, right?  Daughter wanted to stir the wheat paste...

Cute shot, Charlie.. keeping it all in the family! Touche'

sm1

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2012, 10:42:14 PM »
I bet he told her it was porridge.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »

Well as the risk goes down the price goes up...   ;)  And the risk is going down quicker than you think...  It takes about 1.5 hours to back a poster from start to finish (w/o CT wash) and that doesn't even account for resto time...  

One thing I have learned with this whole thing is to respect those who do this for a living.  It's hard work.  I now know why they charge extra for washing and deacidifying.  And why $50/hr for resto is reasonable...

My back was sore after the first time.  My clothes get all wet. I've got a blister on my right ring finger from the staple gun...  I think my skin peeled off on my right leg yesterday because I didn't wash the CT off fast enough....  I've dirtied every bread plate with watercolors and taken up half our formal living and dining...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:48:44 PM by Charlie »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2012, 11:01:41 PM »
   thumbup

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »
So what you're saying is - backers/restorers should get danger pay?  ;)
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2012, 11:13:22 PM »
If you are hiring, these two are available:

What is with the masks and gloves; is this a play on the film?

Bruce

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
They were being photographers. We don't want human hands or breath touching the consignors' posters!

Bruce

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2012, 12:43:03 AM »
We don't want human hands or breath touching the consignors' posters!

To make sure the new owner is the first one to drool over his posters  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Bruce

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2012, 06:30:51 AM »
Exactly!
 sm1

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »
To make sure the new owner is the first one to drool over his posters  ;)

Charlie

« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »
Here is the latest work comparison:

"Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" US OS

Really proud of this one.  Man we wash and wash and bleached and bleached.  The top didn't come perfectly clean but it is much less noticable.  I also touched up the folds and wrinkles...

Before|After (Click to enlarge)

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
I'm amazed at how well you're doing and the amount of effort and passion you put into things. Really great stuff...!

Charlie

« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »
I'm amazed at how well you're doing and the amount of effort and passion you put into things. Really great stuff...!

Thanks!  I need this one for my Eastwood OS collection so it's a winner...

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
Here is the latest work comparison:

"Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" US OS

Really proud of this one.  Man we wash and wash and bleached and bleached.  The top didn't come perfectly clean but it is much less noticable.  I also touched up the folds and wrinkles...

Before|After (Click to enlarge)

DAMN DUDE!!!
you got the mad skillzzzz bro!

once i pull myself out of my financial quagmire i would love to follow in your foot steps!
did you shoot any video of any of your process' either the construction or backing?
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Charlie

« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
did you shoot any video of any of your process' either the construction or backing?

Man there is no time to do that.  I start freaking out once I get the poster wet.  It's actually not that difficult to back the poster; the touching up is definetly a learning experience.  Just this morning I put some painter's tape down started touching up an edge and the farqer bled onto the masa.  So there I was trying to blot, sandpaper, and mask an error.  I am sure there is some way to do it; I see all the backers using painters tape, but did I get the right tape, did I not push it down enough/ was it because I should have let the color dry before pulling it off...  I learn something on everyone of them.  When your really ready (Or anyone else) I'll be glad to talk you through the whole thing...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »
Charlie the work you`ve done so far has been inspiring..just think 6 months from now,you`ll be leaps and bounds ahead,I would like to see how you approach paper loss,i`m intrigued how the pro`s do it..
keep it up bud,

Stew

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
I''m impressed and very pleased for you Charlie - great job
David

Bruce

« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2012, 04:19:28 PM »
Truly inconceivable!

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »
Man there is no time to do that.  I start freaking out once I get the poster wet.  It's actually not that difficult to back the poster; the touching up is definetly a learning experience.  Just this morning I put some painter's tape down started touching up an edge and the farqer bled onto the masa.  So there I was trying to blot, sandpaper, and mask an error.  I am sure there is some way to do it; I see all the backers using painters tape, but did I get the right tape, did I not push it down enough/ was it because I should have let the color dry before pulling it off...  I learn something on everyone of them.  When your really ready (Or anyone else) I'll be glad to talk you through the whole thing...

thanks for the offer charlie!!!
that really is an awesome invitation and i will be following up on it.
if my plans for this year go well. i will either have the money and space to do something about it.
or so crazy busy i wont even have time to think about it :)
haha
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

guest4251

« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
Hi Charlie,

It's been fun to watch this tread.

It's also nice to see that you got an appreciation for we do everyday all day long.

So from everything I've seen here and everything said. This is my best recommendation to you. Since you seem Hell bent on doing this and there is no turning back now.

Before you start plowing through your better paper and potentially down the road, others. I would strongly suggest hands on training with a pro.

On the conservation side, you need to know how to gauge the paper, calibrate the baths, knowing the strength of chemicals. Using Bleach is one of the most traumatic things you can do to paper. So wash and wash bleach and bleach at this stage will most likely be more damaging than good. That is just one of a myriad when it comes to the conservation side.

On the restoration side. That always starts of with a properly backed poster. When the poster have dried for a few days. Close your eyes, run your hand/fingers all across the poster. Is the poster completely flush or can you feel the folds?? Reason I say this, you mention that you want to sand the folds and then air brush. This would be totally wacky and wrong. If you sand the folds which are already broken, you would have eight piece of paper on linen rather than a complete poster.

I hope this has helped and that you take my recommendation.

All the best,
dario.

Charlie

« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
It's been fun to watch this tread.
I was wondering if your had been checking in. Glad you have been...

It's also nice to see that you got an appreciation for we do everyday all day long.

Oh god yes.  When I started I thought "They just slap the poster on linen and make 100 bucks!"  I really can't imagine trying to support myself or others doing this everyday. Engineering is much easier! I sit back tell people what to do check and make sure they are doing it right... (that sounds familiar  ;))

So from everything I've seen here and everything said. This is my best recommendation to you. Since you seem Hell bent on doing this and there is no turning back now.

Before you start plowing through your better paper and potentially down the road, others. I would strongly suggest hands on training with a pro.

Do you have any recommendations or persons in mind; Canada is a long way away but I would make the trip...

On the conservation side, you need to know how to gauge the paper, calibrate the baths, knowing the strength of chemicals. Using Bleach is one of the most traumatic things you can do to paper. So wash and wash bleach and bleach at this stage will most likely be more damaging than good. That is just one of a myriad when it comes to the conservation side.

I have decided to wash with orvus and CT before the CaCOS3 bath since the CT reacts better with lower PH so if I remove the acidity the effectiveness of the CT goes down (am I understanding this correctly?).  The Orvus or "wash" works rather well to remove dirt I saw this with my own eyes on the Thunderbolt & Lightfoot poster.  I plan to continue to use this unless you have a better agent to lift dirt.  It is funny you mention conservation I was reading the other day that some restorers use fixative; that is a no-no right?

We are both talking about the Chloramine T as "bleach"... I am not pouring clorox on them.  ;)

On the restoration side. That always starts of with a properly backed poster. When the poster have dried for a few days. Close your eyes, run your hand/fingers all across the poster. Is the poster completely flush or can you feel the folds?? Reason I say this, you mention that you want to sand the folds and then air brush. This would be totally wacky and wrong. If you sand the folds which are already broken, you would have eight piece of paper on linen rather than a complete poster.

Actually that poster and fold was due to my ignorance going from soaking to flattening and not understanding that the front of the poster should be just as wet as the back of the poster before you try to flatten it. It was also a more modern poster.  My first from the mid 60s had very little fold issues. I very much rectified this error on the past two posters...  I have also noticed that if I run the teflon tool down the seems prior to the tightening the fold virtually disappear.  I also observed that if I stand the poster up straight away that the folds tend to come back most likely due to gravity pulling the wet poster down. I now prop them up horizontally on painters pyramids the dry for 6 to 8 hours before placing vertically.  I also noticed that if I wet the back of the poster down a few times while it dries to poster comes out much nicer and less wavy.  

However, I can still feel and see the folds to some degree but not much more than my mind telling me one should be there.

I hope this has helped and that you take my recommendation.

I would love to take your recommendation but I have no idea where to receive training; I guess it would be paper conservation training versus movie poster conservation training. Right?  University with a Library Science degree?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:15:18 PM by Charlie »

the chip guy

« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
Well as the risk goes down the price goes up...   ;)  And the risk is going down quicker than you think...  It takes about 1.5 hours to back a poster from start to finish (w/o CT wash) and that doesn't even account for resto time...  

One thing I have learned with this whole thing is to respect those who do this for a living.  It's hard work.  I now know why they charge extra for washing and deacidifying.  And why $50/hr for resto is reasonable...

My back was sore after the first time.  My clothes get all wet. I've got a blister on my right ring finger from the staple gun...  I think my skin peeled off on my right leg yesterday because I didn't wash the CT off fast enough....  I've dirtied every bread plate with watercolors and taken up half our formal living and dining...

DAMMIT!!! I knew that I should have sent you 10 posters, not just the two moron1 moron1 moron1 I should have had more faith that a fellow collector such as yourself would go above and beyond to make sure these restorations are done correctly.

Your time, effort, struggles and pain and all worth of praise and admiration. I salute you good sir! cheers

Whenever you are able to find time to work on more of my stuff I will be willing to pay whatever price you think is fair.

Thanks,
Jon