Author Topic: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin  (Read 210355 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« Reply #600 on: October 19, 2013, 08:11:39 AM »
You have been busy, some jollynice stuff all the same..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #601 on: October 19, 2013, 08:22:46 AM »
Exciting.... I see some of mine!  thumbup

Linkster

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:12:26 PM by Linkster »

Charlie

« Reply #603 on: November 05, 2013, 09:34:52 PM »
Hi Charlie,

Is this your work on EMP? I seem to recall you working these quads early on.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3168705
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3168707
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3168706

Yes Leslie we did all three of those for Dave...  Now I just need to figure out where I put our contract with that 50/50 resale clause. ;) 

Happy for you Dave!

Linkster

« Reply #604 on: November 06, 2013, 12:23:47 AM »
Yes Leslie we did all three of those for Dave...  Now I just need to figure out where I put our contract with that 50/50 resale clause. ;) 

Happy for you Dave!

Nice. I'd take that as a pretty damn good endorsement of the quality of your and the family's work.

guest8

« Reply #605 on: November 06, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
Thanks for all your help with those pieces Charlie! I will say that I have been very happy with Charlies work and wouldn't hesitate to send anything to him to work on. :)

As for the contract with the resale clause I'm dropping that in the mail today .. keep an eye out for it! If I don't hear back in the next day or so I'll figure you're just forfeiting your half! :P

Charlie

« Reply #606 on: November 06, 2013, 12:03:57 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys... 

I have found lately since it's not a main gig and more of a hobby for us, that we can't keep up.  I will probably be shutting down for a while (6 months or so) and finish off what I've got in my queue...  I've started to destroy my kitchen for a remodel and need to concentrate on that... 

It's been fun so far and I will have some more updates soon.  Just finished off paperbacking a Bridge on the River Kwai Insert that turned out really well. 

Charlie

Charlie

« Reply #607 on: November 07, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »
Really excited how this turned out.  Bleached it and added the corner (lower right).  Worked on that stain best I could; maybe rust or a burn mark.  It just didn't want to come out.  I was afraid I was going to burn a hole in the damn thing with all the concentrate spot bleaching...  Note: Burnishing the creases are so easy for paperbacking because the paper it directly on a hard surface - most of them disappeared.  Also digging the Kodak strip for before and afters as well; no questions to be asked about the results...  Don't worry Matt she's been working on your "FOG" - she is telling me the dark colors are the hardest... And Z your Sierra is next...  We all went through the fall cold/flu bug the last two weeks - right after we got back from California...

Zoom (click) if you want...

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:55:21 PM by Charlie »

Charlie

« Reply #608 on: November 08, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
So wow! I just tried to hang my Kwai up and it didn't fit...  Looking at the photos the poster got wider by over 1/4 of an inch.  That is amazing!  I knew that after resizing they could swell but not that much...

Charlie

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #609 on: November 08, 2013, 03:26:23 PM »
thats a FANTASTIC job done!!!
well done. you are getting pretty god damned amazing man!
:)
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Charlie

« Reply #610 on: December 14, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »
So, I got the itch to stop the remodel and work on a poster until I realized, I can't make wheat paste!  My project that has made the other impossible!

Our kitchen in its current state:

Sink Area

Pantry/Oven

Stovetop Area

Best we can do at the moment...

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #611 on: December 14, 2013, 11:10:08 PM »
Sorry to hear you can't make wheat paste

Charlie

« Reply #612 on: December 15, 2013, 07:47:22 AM »
I know, right.   :P

My poor wife puts up with a lot.  But she wanted a new kitchen so I am trying to make that happen...  But then got stuck at work all weekend and am about to go back, so no progress in a week.

Bruce

« Reply #613 on: December 15, 2013, 08:30:43 AM »
I wish I had one tenth of your energy, Charlie! I envy you.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #614 on: December 15, 2013, 08:33:49 AM »
I'm just in front of you Charlie, I finished my Kitchen off this morning... woohoo
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #615 on: December 15, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »
Good for you Paul, new kitchen just on time for Xmas. ;)

Charlie, oh oh that looks like a lot of work and lots of energy. I bet it will look incredible!!
 :)

Charlie

« Reply #616 on: December 15, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »
I'm just in front of you Charlie, I finished my Kitchen off this morning... woohoo

Jealous!

Charlie

« Reply #617 on: December 15, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
I bet it will look incredible!!

It will! 

Charlie

« Reply #618 on: December 15, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »
I wish I had one tenth of your energy, Charlie! I envy you.

My biggest fear, is that one day I will wake up and be able to sit still...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #619 on: December 15, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Switch to digital restoration, lot less messy....

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 11:49:00 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #620 on: February 09, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »
For Randy:  I new trick my wife has learn involving touching up the posters...  When we first started we operated under the assumption that you simply apply a single layer of medium like water color pencil, gouache, air brush whatever...  But what she is finding is that if you hit the creases or area with a similar background color first in water color, let it dry, and then go back with the pencils, they make much more of an impact.

Another thing I was experimenting with before my break (still ongoing - but we are simply a good day away from drywall!  woohoo) was with a thicker methyl cellulose.  I use it the replace a corner and it was awesome, there was very little run which prevented expansion in the paper and it made the repair really easy.  You are also suppose to be able to use it for removing old tape, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I also did my first dry matte reversal of a "The Trouble with Harry" lobby card.  I temporarily adhered it to holy tex, basically a damp suction type hold, and hand pealed off the backing after it soaked for 4 or 5 hours... I have a few more like this one to do, but I may take the Poster Mountain approach and mechanically remove the foam core and then soak it in Bestine...

Else, I've been an acting electrician, plumber, duct man, and framer...  Not much going on here! 

But in a twist of luck for you!!!  I just accepted a position where I will have access to the World Cat and a vast online periodical database - so maybe it's time to write some white papers.  Besides it all in the technique anyway!  :P

Charlie

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #621 on: February 09, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »
Seems like restoration is a lot of work. What are your thoughts Charlie is it cheaper to do it yourself or easier to just send it off and have someone else do it??

Charlie

« Reply #622 on: February 09, 2014, 10:37:52 PM »
Seems like restoration is a lot of work. What are your thoughts Charlie is it cheaper to do it yourself or easier to just send it off and have someone else do it??

I would say that the only cost savings is in backing those posters that you wouldn't send off - way on down the line after you've absorbed the costs.  Else, I've probably spent close to 4K at this point.  The learning curve is terribly expensive...  I've probably spent $1000 alone on touching up alone - air brush equipment (lucky I had a compressor - got a new little one for Christmas to replace the one for my nail guns), paints (before my break, I bought five different shades of purple to work on the Blood Simple ea @ $7 - $10), water color sets (on my fourth one - should have listen to Dario and Steve), brushes, frisket, acetate, tape (low adhesion tape is expensive), art knifes, etc...  Probably another $1500 so far in masa (I picked up two types a bright white and off white), canvas, Japanese mending, holytex, and mylar.  Then you've got the frames - I probably have made 15-20 frames of various sizes.  Then you need a device to staple/nail and stretch the canvas (lucky I had a finish nailer) - the manual stapler took too long, I burnt up the electric stapler and finally went with a pneumatic finish nailer with staples at a lower PSI as not to destroy the canvas...  Nails ain't cheap though $20 -$30 a box...  Then you have all the adhesives and chems and experimental stuff.  Wheat Paste, methyl, CMC, acetic, Calhydrox, alchohol, bleach, spot bleach, CT, on and on...  Now lets not forget the tables and baths... Tools to finish, burnishers, picks, q-tips, syringes, rollers (which I am to abandon thanks to a tip from Dario!) sand paper, fill, wash table.  My mylar drying setup...  Then you need a place to put all the goodies bought a $300 tool cabinet to keep the place clean...

I guess what I am trying to say is that it was never about saving the money after I got started.  I may have had some predetermined ideas about saving money at the beginning, but the challenge is where it is at for me!

So cheaper to do it yourself?  Maybe if you open a shop, hire someone, and slip yours in during slow times.  Else, IMO, it's a big commitment for less than at least 100 posters or so...

Hope I didn't burst any bubbles.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:41:54 PM by Charlie »

Charlie

« Reply #623 on: February 09, 2014, 10:40:42 PM »
Oh, forgot that it is taking up at least 400 sq ft of the house and the back porch and some of the garage... 

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #624 on: February 09, 2014, 10:46:25 PM »
I am knackered reading all that is involved. I agree with Bruce, I wish I had 10% of Charlie's energy thumbup