Author Topic: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin  (Read 210406 times)

Charlie

Re: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« Reply #575 on: September 04, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »
[quote author=Charlie
Have you been saving this one for a while?

No I just googled big tick for an image because the text ticks didn't seem to be working. Saw the image and found it amusing, I guess you didn't? Regardless of the image your work is still very impressive, as the 'Great stuff' from my initial post hopefully indicated.

No, I really thought it was hilarious! Actually lol a bit...  Just figured if I saw that pic I may have just saved it for later use...

cheers 

Charlie

« Reply #576 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23:30 AM »
I also have some 4 and 6 sheets I've been threatening to send for a while now too! ;)

Well once we redo the kitchen (cabinets have been ordered) the plan is to dedicate an existing 3/4 or our informal for a studio - wife approved!  She really enjoys doing the touch-ups and paint mixing...

It has cathedral ceilings so one of the walls can be used for larger posters; even six sheets.  Maybe 6 months?     

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #577 on: September 04, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »
the text ticks didn't seem to be working.

Don't mind me, it's a gag, half the things I write are to make me lol at myself.

If you've tried to make a tick (or other pattern/shape) via the keyboard you'll know the frustration of spending time thinking you got it right in preview, then in publish, wtf happened...

It has cathedral ceilings so one of the walls can be used for larger posters; even six sheets.  Maybe 6 months?     

Great, I might send you a 6 sheet, with a missing panel to recreate, cool

guest8

« Reply #578 on: September 04, 2013, 10:13:03 AM »
haha .. awesome! :) I may just send them to you now so that I dont forget ;)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #579 on: September 04, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »
Well once we redo the kitchen (cabinets have been ordered) the plan is to dedicate an existing 3/4 or our informal for a studio - wife approved!  She really enjoys doing the touch-ups and paint mixing...

Hurry up! My big posters are the priority here. :)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Mirosae

« Reply #580 on: September 04, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
What a nightmare this one was...  But it's done.

Part 2 of the Hope Goddard Trifecta complete:

WoW. The colours look incredible Did you do anything else to the main art or you just give it the ''standard'' bath? It looks fab. congrats

Charlie

« Reply #581 on: September 04, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »
All done... Tick mark and all!  So that is a LB OS, LB HS, and 3SH frames I need to order from Robert... I am going to run out of wall space - better slow down. ;D

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:11:18 PM by Charlie »

Charlie

« Reply #582 on: September 04, 2013, 11:29:09 PM »
Hi APF people !!

New here... very interesting thread ! Kudos to Charlie & wife.

Sadly I can see that all pictures in first posts have disappeared, making it difficult to follow Charlie's path.

Topics listed above are great. I have already checked many videos online on linen backing but I am sure Charlie has some hidden secrets and great tips. 

Charlie, have you drafted any tutorial or DIY sheet about topics listed above ?? I would really interested with a basic list of supplies as well as chemistry side of it (deacidication and bleaching).

Thanks

Most of the pics are back up from early on...  Some I could not find.  Make sure to read through my blog there are some more pics and write ups...  A lot now that is outdated. 

Kind of in a weird place... When I started literally no one would help with the exception of a few tips from Dario...  I stumbled and fumble my way through developing my own techniques and process, studying tirelessly academic papers and reference sites for paper conservation.  Reviewing artist techniques in books and websites...  Experimenting on my own stuff which is when I grew the most (since I didn't want to botch other's posters)...  I did lose two posters... and many I did are sore to my eye as I could have made them much better with the knowledge I have now!

Not really sure how much I want to give away. I think I understand why Dario seemed to only to give a little information but never the answer I was looking for...  It's all here in the thread and all out there - it can be done again by a motivated individual.  And even though I feel like I've made great strides, there is even more that I can learn, more to experiment with... I am owning what I know, but there is more! 

Probably not the answer that you wanted, but please fell free to message me for a tip here or there... 

If that's not enough, Poster Mountain has a $5,000 weekend class...  But I wouldn't recommend taking it.  Study up and send me some questions.

-Charlie

guest4531

« Reply #583 on: September 05, 2013, 04:39:21 AM »
Most of the pics are back up from early on...  Some I could not find.  Make sure to read through my blog there are some more pics and write ups...  A lot now that is outdated. 

Kind of in a weird place... When I started literally no one would help with the exception of a few tips from Dario...  I stumbled and fumble my way through developing my own techniques and process, studying tirelessly academic papers and reference sites for paper conservation.  Reviewing artist techniques in books and websites...  Experimenting on my own stuff which is when I grew the most (since I didn't want to botch other's posters)...  I did lose two posters... and many I did are sore to my eye as I could have made them much better with the knowledge I have now!

Not really sure how much I want to give away. I think I understand why Dario seemed to only to give a little information but never the answer I was looking for...  It's all here in the thread and all out there - it can be done again by a motivated individual.  And even though I feel like I've made great strides, there is even more that I can learn, more to experiment with... I am owning what I know, but there is more! 

Probably not the answer that you wanted, but please fell free to message me for a tip here or there... 

If that's not enough, Poster Mountain has a $5,000 weekend class...  But I wouldn't recommend taking it.  Study up and send me some questions.

-Charlie

Thanks Charlie. This is very much the answer I was expecting !!! Thanks for putting the pictures back, very much appreciated... now I am gonna save this page before they disappear again.

Sure I don't ask you to reveal all your secrets... Totally agree with you, persistence and determination are king here. I have already watched so many videos about  linenbacking and paper restoration so I am ready to take the plunge and that's why your thread, experience and basic supplies list will help.  It seems fun !  The only issue I foresee is lack of space in my 3 bd apartment. Damn !

Again, thanks for the welcome and your invitation to send question to you.

- TheBigBoss

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #584 on: September 05, 2013, 05:14:35 AM »
No, I really thought it was hilarious! Actually lol a bit...  Just figured if I saw that pic I may have just saved it for later use...

cheers 

Cool, wan't trying to trivialise your talents  cheers

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #585 on: September 26, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
Hey Charlie, ever done a poster with day-glow colours?

I was curious how you match those up, if you have can you post some pics.. :)
It's more than a Hobby...

Charlie

« Reply #586 on: September 26, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »
Hey Charlie, ever done a poster with day-glow colours?

I was curious how you match those up, if you have can you post some pics.. :)

Not certain of any 'Day Glow' posters...  Would The Man Who Knew too Much be one?  What are some of the more common 'Day Glow' posters?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #587 on: September 27, 2013, 01:32:27 AM »
I'm not sure about 1Shts, but there are quite a lot of Quads, and DC's with this effect. Hammer were quite fond of it in the 60's..

I'll see if I can post a few examples.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #588 on: September 27, 2013, 01:43:16 AM »

These are much more fluorescent than they look, but you get the idea..

guest4251

« Reply #589 on: September 29, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »
Hi Paul,

I haven't found anything that works. If you have a jar/tube of paint or a pencil that look like it is a match, as soon as you put it on the Day Glow it turns 10 shades darker.

I have tried Day Glow printing paint. Same thing.

It's a strange phenomenon.

Best,
dario.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #590 on: September 29, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »
Many Thanks Dario, I was afraid of that. 

Does it do the same if you water down the paint or what ever your using to colour match? Just curious now..  I had a Day-glow poster done many years back, and the finish wasn't the best.

guest4251

« Reply #591 on: September 29, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »
Sorry Paul. It wouldn't make a difference.

Best,
dario.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #592 on: September 30, 2013, 11:30:43 PM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #593 on: October 02, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
Thanks Ted, I have two day-glow posters that need some attention, one of them is possibly the only one left... :-\

And thanks again Dario for your input.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #594 on: October 02, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
Thanks Ted, I have two day-glow posters that need some attention, one of them is possibly the only one left... :-\

Do you have any pic at hand Paul? Sounds interesting...

I have one day-glo, and luckily, in pretty good condition...

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #595 on: October 02, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
That is excellent Matias  thumbup

I don't have a pic at hand, but will take one when I get home in the Morrow..

Charlie

« Reply #596 on: October 18, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »
Well my butt hurts, my back hurts, my hands hurt, and my feet hurt.  8 AM to 6 PM marathon backing session and two changes of clothes later...

A poster I got in trade from Mel finally coming back to life...

Happy Halloween ;)

Another treat for you...

Finally got to it Z!

It had to share space with Queenie - hope you don't mind...

Remember this photo from a while back that was posted?  It came from a Collier's article from June 1955 from one of Grace's Vacations.  I love being able to back what ever the hell I want and not think about having to pay anyone...  Or else this one would still be in the magazine...

Thanks dude, got it shining again...  Argentinian Lobby Card...

Here are some old projects that are still in the works...

Just needs touch up, but you don't want me doing it!

Added borders to this Lebanese Dirty Harry, just need to blend them in.. (or total respray - still undecided)

Don't ever use sharpie on any poster - just don't.  That means you too Mel! 

Patched up and ready for blending/border spray...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #597 on: October 18, 2013, 09:18:28 PM »
I think Grace trumps anyone anytime.

All Looks great Charlie.  You cant have Amy!  :)

Sweet looking German Bogart... :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #598 on: October 18, 2013, 09:39:58 PM »
Well my butt hurts, my back hurts, my hands hurt, and my feet hurt.  8 AM to 6 PM marathon backing session and two changes of clothes later...

A poster I got in trade from Mel finally coming back to life...

Looks great C. Yeah I messed that poster up by pulling off two pieces of tape from the front right in Newmans shirt.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #599 on: October 18, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »
 cool1
Chris