Author Topic: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin  (Read 210371 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« Reply #475 on: March 24, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »
Great work on the Conspirator - always loved that poster too...
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #476 on: April 03, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »
One Year Anniversary!

Thanks for putting up with me.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #477 on: April 03, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »
One Year Anniversary!

Remind me, what were our choices again?  ;)
David

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #478 on: April 04, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »
 clap clap clap
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #479 on: April 04, 2013, 04:54:48 PM »
I have to say Charlie, I'm board-line setting up something like you have, purely from reading this thread.

Well done fella, you are quite the restorer... happy1
It's more than a Hobby...

Skywalker71

« Reply #480 on: April 14, 2013, 07:16:54 AM »
Great stuff Charlie!

What would you say is the correct amount of calcium carbonate to put in to your wheat starch?

Thanks!

Charlie

« Reply #481 on: April 15, 2013, 11:50:40 PM »
Great stuff Charlie!

What would you say is the correct amount of calcium carbonate to put in to your wheat starch?

Thanks!

Not sure what you are using but the stuff I use from Talas recommends: To buffer it, add 10% (by weight) of calcium carbonate.

http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=17214

Skywalker71

« Reply #482 on: April 18, 2013, 06:25:18 AM »
Thanks Charlie, I figured it would be around about that quantity!

I appreciate your help!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #483 on: April 18, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
One Year Anniversary!

Gratz and look for the posterman later next week.

Matt

« Reply #484 on: April 22, 2013, 01:29:05 AM »
Congrats Charlie! Love you new av btw.

Charlie

« Reply #485 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »
Congrats Charlie! Love you new av btw.

Thanks!  Yeah I'm digging my new av too...  So cool to have found it.

Skywalker71

« Reply #486 on: May 06, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
Hey Charlie

What is your preferred wheat paste recipe? I have been looking on the net and there seems to me a few different slants on it? I don't know why but I am a little worried about using sugar. Silly to be worried?  :o

As always your help or anyone elses would be invaluable!

John

Skywalker71

« Reply #488 on: May 07, 2013, 07:48:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply Charlie. I am in the UK and have access to the wheat starch. It is the actual cooking of it that I need to know. What is the best way to cook it? Cheers, John

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #489 on: May 07, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »
Aren't there acid free wallpaper adhesives, maybe with fungicides, that would make it a lot easier and be as effective?

Charlie

« Reply #490 on: May 07, 2013, 08:19:01 AM »
Aren't there acid free wallpaper adhesives, maybe with fungicides, that would make it a lot easier and be as effective?

I don't really trust that stuff...  I know PM uses a wallpaper adhesive.  I am more on the side of knowing what has been tested time over time and known for probably hundreds of years.  We have no idea what that stuff will do over time...  It has to have preservatives to keep it from spoiling etc...

Thanks for the reply Charlie. I am in the UK and have access to the wheat starch. It is the actual cooking of it that I need to know. What is the best way to cook it? Cheers, John

Cooking it is easy.  You just add the CaCO3 mix it up so it looks like milk; let it sit/soak for an hour or so and then cook on medium heat until nice and creamy/sticky... But don't over cook it, lumps will form.  Then let it cool first - I stick mine in the fridge for a few hours.  Then you can make batches and thin it down with distilled water using a blender...  Always strain it to remove any lumps - don't want those under the masa or poster....

Skywalker71

« Reply #491 on: May 07, 2013, 12:34:44 PM »
Great that sounds easy enough! I had an interesting reply on another forum regarding the adding of calcium carbonate to the wheat paste mix. One restorer said that the water in the mix needs to be slightly acidic so that the CaCO3 dissolves as H2o with a PH of 7 cannot do it. He said that bicarbonated water can be used as it is slightly acidic (5.5 to 6.5). At 17p for a large 2 litre bottle it's not too expensive purchased from ASDA (U.S. equivalent is Wal-Mart). I don't know about your neck of the woods but distilled water is bloody expensive over here so the idea of using bicarbonated (because of the price primarily) appeals to me much more!! The restorer also suggested using the bicarbonate water during the bathing procedure with CaCO3 as well.

Charlie do you add sugar to your mix?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #492 on: May 07, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »
 pcorn  8)

Stew

Charlie

« Reply #493 on: May 07, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »
Great that sounds easy enough! I had an interesting reply on another forum regarding the adding of calcium carbonate to the wheat paste mix. One restorer said that the water in the mix needs to be slightly acidic so that the CaCO3 dissolves as H2o with a PH of 7 cannot do it. He said that bicarbonated water can be used as it is slightly acidic (5.5 to 6.5). At 17p for a large 2 litre bottle it's not too expensive purchased from ASDA (U.S. equivalent is Wal-Mart). I don't know about your neck of the woods but distilled water is bloody expensive over here so the idea of using bicarbonated (because of the price primarily) appeals to me much more!! The restorer also suggested using the bicarbonate water during the bathing procedure with CaCO3 as well.

Charlie do you add sugar to your mix?

The wheat paste it self is slightly acidic (5.5 to 6.5) so the CaCO3 is to buffer that acidity.  I know you have asked about how much to add but I think the goal would be to add enough to get around 8 on a ph stick...  I tend to add more than 10% so I stopped measuring every batch, because it also acts as a smoothing agent and my wheat paste comes out like melted butter with the thickness of say honey or really hot cheese dip - easy to spread.  I do not add anything other than CaCO3 to my wheat paste.

I no longer use CaCO3 as a deacidifying agent or to load up the paper with a buffer.  I deacidify it and like to think the additional CaCO3 in the wheat paste mix acts as a mild buffer...  Just remember that the point is to bring up the PH but also place agents in the wheat paste or poster to counter act additional acid build up.  The additional CaCO3 will react with acids from pollutants and cellulose breakdown - hopefully all the sizing agents are removed (not 100% on this one) but it can also help counteract any additional acid buildup from these agents as well if still present.

Sugar?  Not sure where this came from.  Please let me know what is the benefit of this if you can find out...

Skywalker71

« Reply #494 on: May 07, 2013, 02:28:58 PM »
Interesting points! Maybe when the paper absorbs the calcium carbonate in the wheat paste there is no real need to bath the poster in it.

I just thing the sugar gives the paste extra stickiness that is all but that is something that probably isn't needed.

I bought some calcium carbonate but it is grey not white. Is this correct or have I bought the wrong stuff? On Wikipedia it states that 'when it is pure it is white however in its natural state it is grey'. Do you think the grey is ok to use?

guest4251

« Reply #495 on: May 07, 2013, 02:53:20 PM »
Hi Guys,

We beat the Wall paper issue to pulp many many years ago.

I am in the camp that one should not use wall paper Glue, It think it's called Shurestick 5000? or something like that.

The chemicals used for mold/mildew protection in Wall paper glue is probably not good for Vintage poster paper.No long term data exists.

Call up a a museum or a paper tank and ask if they use wall paper glue. They'll hang up on you!

Nori paste has been tried and tested for a very long time and used by most paper restorers.

I think it is to cut corners, Since Nori paste involves cooking and cool down/cure, good to go next day. No sooner.

Sugar?? After all these years that is news to me. I think I keep it for my coffee.

Other than that Charlie got the paste down. Yeah you want to land a bit higher on the Ph indicator Ph8-9-10

All the best,
dario

Skywalker71

« Reply #496 on: May 07, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
Thanks for the info Dario...if I can ask do I have the right calcium carbonate?

guest4251

« Reply #497 on: May 07, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
I am sure it has the same value, but I would use White Calcium Carb as precautionary, just in case Grey stains white paper.

dario.

Skywalker71

« Reply #498 on: May 08, 2013, 03:13:51 AM »
Great thanks for your help Dario I appreciate your help!

Skywalker71

« Reply #499 on: May 08, 2013, 04:20:28 AM »
I purchased a large roll of 12oz cotton duck which seems to be good stuff. Do you recommend washing it first or just using it directly from the roll? Cheers, John