Author Topic: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin  (Read 206082 times)

Mirosae

Re: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« Reply #700 on: January 14, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »
And Charlie.. well done.. really fantastic!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #701 on: January 16, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »
Nice job, Charlie.

You accepting the big stuff officially then?  :)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #702 on: January 16, 2015, 02:30:13 PM »
Nice job, Charlie.

You accepting the big stuff officially then?  :)

I am a year behind already! :P

Z's poster had been backed for a year.  We just finally got it out of where I was storing them, brushed the silverfish off  <OO and touched it up...  I still have another 10 that need to be touched up, but....

I am working on the new studio now, got the sheet rock up and am working on the floor this weekend.  Hope to start setting everything up again here over the next few weeks.  But there should be enough room now to experiment with larger posters.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #703 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:59 PM »
Charlie its been on my living room floor since I got it .

We love it!

You are a bad man.

Mirosae

« Reply #704 on: February 04, 2015, 03:40:00 AM »
Glad Bogie went to a good home. Love that poster :-*

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #705 on: February 04, 2015, 07:29:07 AM »
Charlie its been on my living room floor since I got it .

We love it!

You are a bad man.

Glad you are happy with it.  The touch-up was kinda funky it being more of a charcoal/graphite image... But my wife figured it out in the end.  I do the blacks - she does the rest.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #706 on: February 04, 2015, 09:33:05 PM »
What a team you are!

Great Mad Max!

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #707 on: April 13, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »
So I have been working on a new term that I will be unveiling with a new website I am working on and would like some thoughts.  I would like to attempt to change what we call linenbacking to a three word phrase "Conservation, Support, and Restoration"  or CSR for short.  As I have argued in past posts I don't think collector's understand what they are getting when they send their posters off to be linenbacked.

Why CSR?  There are clearly three different efforts that are generally focused on (or not).  They can all intermingle but generally from my observations everything falls into these three categories and usually in this order...  Is it a conservation effort, support effort, or restoration effort?

Conservation: Purified materials, archival materials, deacidification, acid buffer, etc.

Support: Such as linenbacking or paperbacking. Spot support... Or none at all...

Restoration: Paper fills, art infilling (reversable/permanent), reprays

Thoughts?

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #708 on: April 13, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »
I would like to attempt to change what we call linenbacking to a three word phrase "Conservation, Support, and Restoration"  or CSR for short..
Thoughts?

For a great start, with a big impact, maybe try asking the forum mods to replace every occurrence of linenbacking to:

linenbacking -->  Charlie dislikes "linenbacking" preferring "Conservation, Support, and Restoration"

French Grande --> Thierry hates "French Grande"

Mirosae

« Reply #709 on: April 13, 2015, 09:04:32 AM »
For a great start, with a big impact, maybe try asking the forum mods to replace every occurrence of linenbacking to:

linenbacking -->  Charlie dislikes "linenbacking" preferring "Conservation, Support, and Restoration"

French Grande --> Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande""

Humphrey Bogart --> Rosa loves "Bogart"  ''hands off''

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #710 on: April 13, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »

French Grande --> Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande""

thumbsup.gif
Chris

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
« Reply #711 on: August 11, 2015, 02:51:39 PM »
Read through the entire thread over the past couple of days. Incredible stuff, Charlie.

I don't have the space or time to do any linen backing myself, but I will have to at some point. Building all those tables and frames is right up my alley.

How does the conservation part of the process work exactly? You mention washing, de-acidifying and so on. I'm just trying to imagine a recipe like...

1. Place poster on sheet of mylar (or do you sandwich between two sheets?) and soak in water (de-ionized, right?)
2. Then you let it dry?
3. Place the poster in de-acidifying solution (is this the calcium hydroxide?)
4. Repeat steps 1 and 2

Is it something like that? Apologies for all the questions, the specificity of the process really interests me.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #712 on: August 11, 2015, 10:47:28 PM »
Read through the entire thread over the past couple of days. Incredible stuff, Charlie.

I don't have the space or time to do any linen backing myself, but I will have to at some point. Building all those tables and frames is right up my alley.

How does the conservation part of the process work exactly? You mention washing, de-acidifying and so on. I'm just trying to imagine a recipe like...

1. Place poster on sheet of mylar (or do you sandwich between two sheets?) and soak in water (de-ionized, right?)
2. Then you let it dry?
3. Place the poster in de-acidifying solution (is this the calcium hydroxide?)
4. Repeat steps 1 and 2

Is it something like that? Apologies for all the questions, the specificity of the process really interests me.

It all depends on my mood, the amount of alcohol in my system, whether the wife is cooking something good and so on...

But yeah there are a few tweaks that can be made but:

- Use mylar
- Sandwich poster with it

- Pull top mylar off
- Get the poster wet - Believe it or not I've discovered through academic papers that deionized isn't exactly the best as it can strip important stuff out of the poster...  Purified that is slightly basic is acceptable.
- Wait (smooth out poster)
- Put mylar back on and flip
- Repeat

- Pull top mylar off
- Rinse (sometimes gunk just comes out without much effort; you can also wash with orvus - a poster mountain step that I don't always follow)
- Repeat

- Pull top mylar off
- Apply deacidification solution (restorer preference - I do use deionized to make this stuff CaOH; My mix the other day was 12.35 Ph)
- Repeat
- Wait (20 minutes or so - you can have a beer or go in and kiss the wife - I often use this time to prepare the masa and canvas)

- Pull top mylar off
- Rinse (sometimes a lot of brown/yellow crap comes out and I may repeat the above - that means it worked)
- Repeat

You can let it dry but I've found letting it dry makes the poster a bit brittle so IMO it is better to back straight away...

Hope this helps.

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
« Reply #713 on: August 12, 2015, 07:38:17 AM »
Perfect, exactly what I was thinking.

So it's just soak, de-acidify and rinse? I seem to remember you mentioning that the calcium hydroxide works slightly as a bleaching agent, but do you do anything extra in terms of "bleaching"?

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
    • The Dodo Bird Shop Movie Posters
« Reply #714 on: September 24, 2015, 03:49:43 AM »
That's awesome, I linen back some posters myself but only 16x24 french or belgian posters at this time as I'm livin in a small appartment but I will soon change my address and will try to do better. This topic is awesome, I'm just arriving on the forum and I'm so glad to discover it. I hope my english's quite good :) Thanks for this topic !

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #715 on: September 24, 2015, 03:53:04 AM »
That's awesome, I linen back some posters myself but only 16x24 french or belgian posters at this time as I'm livin in a small appartment but I will soon change my address and will try to do better. This topic is awesome, I'm just arriving on the forum and I'm so glad to discover it. I hope my english's quite good :) Thanks for this topic !

welcome1 Zoongrew... good to see you here.

And enjoy APF!!

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
« Reply #716 on: September 24, 2015, 04:42:54 AM »
welcome1 Zoongrew... good to see you here.

And enjoy APF!!

Jeff

I think I can spend many hours reading topics here ! Very nice to have my coffee while spending some time on the forum :)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #717 on: September 24, 2015, 05:17:17 AM »
Welcome zoongrew. Your English sounds fine. You sound like a native speaker.

If you spill some coffee on your poster then feel free to start a thread called
Removing coffee stain from poster
As we don't have one of those yet. We seem to have every other stain

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:20:31 AM by 50s »

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #718 on: September 24, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »

Great to hear when people find this thread.  Welcome!

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
« Reply #719 on: September 24, 2015, 10:06:04 AM »

If you spill some coffee on your poster then feel free to start a thread called
Removing coffee stain from poster
As we don't have one of those yet. We seem to have every other stain

I'm sure many of us here have a poster with coffee stain on it but we do think it's dry blood that the displayer lost long time ago while he was hardly working to offer some beauty before watching the movie on theater... actually it's only coffee...

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
« Reply #720 on: September 24, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »
Great to hear when people find this thread.  Welcome!

Greater to read your topic, thanks again.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #721 on: May 31, 2017, 07:51:21 AM »
Well it has been well over a year since I posted and I've been posting my progress etc. on a different sight but I thought I would follow-up to the paperbacking comment.  I recently backed two British double crowns for the rerelease of Alice in Wonderland.  It is pretty much the same concept but instead of linen you use a conservative paper of choice, hollytex and a hard surface (in this case plywood with a enamel coating)...  The poster dries and you complete any infill/touch-ups and then you pull the paper/hollytex combo off and then gently pull the hollytex off the back of the conservative backing paper.

[/url]

Here they are where I just pulled them off the hollytex and roughly trimmed them and pinned them up at the antique sale in Roundtop. 

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #722 on: August 10, 2019, 12:37:35 AM »
Well is been over two years since I last posted. Unfortunately these Alice posters were pretty much the last batch, except a really cool Ten Commandments experiment. We (the Wife and I) started our own engineering firm back in October of 2016 and it has taken off.  Too busy managing employees to linenback posters...  Wife doesn’t have much time for color touch ups. In fact, tossed most of my frames and the wash table.  I have to send stuff off like everyone else.

So Pulpfixin really is signing off - maybe not for good. Might become one of those eccentric CEOs that keep a secret lair for his guilty pleasures.  Mr Brooks with wheat paste I imagine.

I still love providing my expert amateur opinion if anyone ever feel like dropping a question.

Charlie

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #723 on: July 14, 2020, 08:36:07 AM »
I still love providing my expert amateur opinion if anyone ever feel like dropping a question.

Charlie

And it's cool to see your thread still inspiring more folks to try, like new member Piercarlo states in his post. It's why I much prefer forums to Facebook...

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #724 on: August 04, 2020, 10:35:46 PM »
And it's cool to see your thread still inspiring more folks to try, like new member Piercarlo states in his post. It's why I much prefer forums to Facebook...

Too cool! Thanks for showing me... I miss all the fun for sure. One day pulpfixin will return!!!