Author Topic: Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin  (Read 206028 times)

Charlie

Amateur Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:46:50 PM »
Phase 2 - Step 1A: Buying Supplies

So I have taken on the task and the first thing I thought I would share is my supplies list.  I am pretty sure I got everything.  I am missing a de-acidifying agent I am still trying to figure this one out.  I don't think the sprays are where its at. I may have to figure out mixing Magnesium Acetate and Magnesium Carbonate (Dario if your reading help would be great in this area), and I probably ordered a lifting bone I don't need....  So if you want to take it on you'll need at least $500 to do it right.  I ordered bulk and you can order less, but what would be the point.

And like Lucas I do have a prequel Phase 1 - Step 1: Building a Washing and Mounting Table  I will start this on Thursday and will snap pics.  I am only building a 48" x 60" table to start, so no three-sheets yet...

So what is next?  

Phase 3 - Step 1A: The 5 Poster Experiment - Pre Restoration Documentation of Condition

I have ten OS of some random 1960s poster and will take five and document their condition.  I will use permanent marker to differentiate the poster pre-backing.  I will then vary the CT and backing techniques and pending the outcome of the first three will also attempt various fixes (tears, paper loss, etc.).

Pulpfixing Out...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:39:46 PM by eatbrie »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Amatuer Linenbacking 101 by Pulpfixin
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:26:02 PM »
Well, you have Dario on the board now and he's the expert.  Maybe he'll give you some pointers.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:08:25 AM »
I don't think the sprays are where its at. I may have to figure out mixing Magnesium Acetate and Magnesium Carbonate

This would be great to watch. Go Charlie!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 01:44:12 AM »
How about a you tube video Charlie?   I think this is going to be jollyfine... thumbup  the best of British to you.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:02:10 AM »
Hi, Folks!

Anyone here in the UK fancy setting-up a similar experiment?  I know that one of our clients (who shall remain nameless) was planning a transatlantic trip to get serious training for this procedure, with a view to setting-up an operation in the UK ... and we've not heard from him since ... !   Judging from past experience with various exponents of restoration and linen-backing, those fumes can take their toll!

Looking forward to updates when available.

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

guest4251

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »
Hi Charlie,

The Muslin is not correct, to flimsy. You need to hit the art store and buy a high cotton canvas 12 -13 duck.

No use for Orvus.

The  301 wheat past is pre cooked. You should make your own. Meaning you do the cooking.

There is liquid Wei'to to buy

As far as washing table were you hose or spray mist? well is not really the right way to soak a poster. You Should build a bath were the poster can really relax, soak and get the paper impregnated with IE: CaCO3. Here a picture of a Stainless steal custom made bath that I had made and use.

Best of luck,
dario.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »
Charlie,

You artistic at all? How far you lookin to take this, a do your own thing, side job, full time switch?

Just curious, I think the long term you really need to have to be able to work a brush/pencil whatever for the restoration side.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »
Dario (and Charlie),

What would the mylar polyester film be needed or used for in the backing process? For supporting a wet poster, when lifting it from the bath?

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
Charlie,

You artistic at all? How far you lookin to take this, a do your own thing, side job, full time switch?

Just curious, I think the long term you really need to have to be able to work a brush/pencil whatever for the restoration side.

I have no idea how far I am going to take this.  I studied art and am decent. The only barrier to the resto part will be colors as I am color blind but have learn to work around it... I am just trying to get a poster wet right now...

Charlie

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »
Dario (and Charlie),

What would the mylar polyester film be needed or used for in the backing process? For supporting a wet poster, when lifting it from the bath?

Yep.

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
A colour blind Artist........ pcorn
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
Yep.

That's what i thought.

Were you able to cancel (or change) that muslin order?  ;)

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
That's what i thought.

Were you able to cancel (or change) that muslin order?  ;)

Yeah I called and canceled it after I read Dario's post and then at lunch went out and got the No 12 and some Bestine.  They didn't have CaCO3 or Wei t'o though...

Charlie

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »
A colour blind Artist........ pcorn

Yeah, I found out in elementary school when the teacher asked why I colored Santa brown.  My wife is going to help, she's putting up 1/3 or more of the cost out of her discretionary funding... She's not colorblind.  ;)  Plus my sister is actually an artist near Austin mostly in oils though but she could do the real difficult stuff if I take it that far...

Charlie

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »
Hi Charlie,

The Muslin is not correct, to flimsy. You need to hit the art store and buy a high cotton canvas 12 -13 duck.

No use for Orvus.

The  301 wheat past is pre cooked. You should make your own. Meaning you do the cooking.

There is liquid Wei'to to buy

As far as washing table were you hose or spray mist? well is not really the right way to soak a poster. You Should build a bath were the poster can really relax, soak and get the paper impregnated with IE: CaCO3. Here a picture of a Stainless steal custom made bath that I had made and use.

Best of luck,
dario.

How do you wash larger paper; folded?  I have my old poster box that I can convert into a wash tank but it's ~44" x 30"  so an anything larger than a OS would have to be folded. 

Thanks for the tips...

Charlie

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:06:55 PM »
Phase 1 - Step 1: Building a Washing and Mounting Table (Entry 1)

Started on the table tonight versus tomorrow cause the boss wants me to attend some County Judge breakfast on my day off (always happens).  So here is the start of the table.  I also have the box I used to move my posters and will be converting that into a wash pan similar to the one Dario so kindly shared; that I guess will be Phase 1 Step 2...

My scratch design that I did on the way back from heritage...

Nine high quality 2x4s from Lowe's

Various intermediate steps:

Ends complete:

Tomorrow the top.  I can't complete it outside and bring in; have to finish it in the final place...  Which right now will be next to the bar (my wife has given me the dining room for six months)

Phase 2 Step 1A - Supplies Continued

Here are pics of the Bestine, and lifting knife and the 12oz unprimed cotton duck that Dario recommended...

Pulpfixin Out...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:08:08 PM by Charlie »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »
Charlie, this certainly looks like quite the undertaking and I commend you on your resilience!

Looking forward to seeing your set up all finished.
Chris

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Charlie, this certainly looks like quite the undertaking and I commend you on your resilience!

Looking forward to seeing your set up all finished.

Here Here..but a colour blind restorer! ;)
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »
Here Here..but a colour blind restorer! ;)

Could make for some very interesting restorative interpretations ;)
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 12:12:52 AM »
Hey, I'm colorblind too (really). I have problems distinguishing variations of greens and browns

Can you guys please tell me how the colors on my litho posters really look like  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 12:22:53 AM »
a couple of times as a silly teenager I tried this stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

after reading the Carlos Castaneda books. And the hang over changed colours, blues were fluorescent greens etc. Was very strange, and makes me wonder if we actually see the same colours as each other, and if thats why some prefer certain colours (we actually all like the same one, but have different names for it).

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
Your effort is commendable, Charlie.  What a fun project!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 01:28:05 AM »
WILL EVERYONE SHUT THE FECK UP...

I am taking notes...

;D
David

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 01:32:01 AM »
How do you wash larger paper; folded?  I have my old poster box that I can convert into a wash tank but it's ~44" x 30"  so an anything larger than a OS would have to be folded. 

I know NOTHING about it, but I have a feeling that washing a poster folded might be dangerous.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 06:20:34 AM »
Charlie, it is positively frightening how much energy (and raw talent) you have! Do you happen to have a twin brother/sister who would like to move to tiny West Plains Mo and work for a movie poster auction company?

Whether or not this turns out as you hope, you already are to be congratulated! Many talk about it, but you act.

Bruce