Author Topic: James Bond  (Read 622826 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: James Bond
« Reply #1450 on: April 27, 2014, 06:37:18 PM »
cool camel toe.

;D

You sir, have a good eye.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1451 on: April 28, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »
Seems strange that Welch is not mentioned on the front cover, but that Andress is - albeit with an incorrectly spelt first name.

The second L is silent... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1452 on: May 05, 2014, 08:23:31 PM »
Somebody is selling this supposed "printers proof" of Thunderball.  It supposedly lacks blue ink:

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1453 on: May 05, 2014, 09:50:40 PM »
Why would it be folded, if it were a printer's proof? Not like it's meant for transit anywhere.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1454 on: May 06, 2014, 03:40:27 AM »
Might just be faded.

One way of making a plus out of a minus...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1455 on: May 06, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291137652578

I believe this poster to be a printers proof poster. As you can see from the pictures the poster is devoid of any blue ink and as such the border that is normally green is in fact yellow (as is the water in the underwater scene) and the colours are very light. Also the credits which were printed in blue on the normal US 1 sheet are completely missing. However none of the other colours are affected and Robert Mc Ginnis and Frank Mc Carthy's iconic artwork remains fantastic. The poster also appears to have been hung on several occasions without much care for the image. The presence of parallel sets of pinholes (as far down as next to Connery's head) in the top two corners, would suggest that it was not pinned for cinema display and instead was pinned in a hurry.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1456 on: May 09, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »
First time I've seen a 30(H) x 40(V) Dr. No US poster (this one is trimmed and mounted):

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1457 on: May 13, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
Oof.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1458 on: May 13, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »
Most of those are just 1-sheets pasted to card stock.  I've seen lots like that with those same "Adult Entertainment" stickers. 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1459 on: May 23, 2014, 09:19:40 PM »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1460 on: May 23, 2014, 10:52:34 PM »
Someone oughtta tell these knuckleheads that sun-damaged posters are NOT printers proofs minus blue ink.
WTF?

Bruce

« Reply #1461 on: May 24, 2014, 08:23:24 AM »
Another (no blue) printing proof has popped up:

http://hollywoodposterauction.com/session_lots/11287/show/YOU_ONLY_LIVE_TWICE_PRINTING_PROOF

Actually, I believe this is a "Matrix" proof (in The Matrix, "All the color blue was sucked out of the exterior shots to convey how grim the world of the Matrix actually is.")

qip

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #1462 on: May 27, 2014, 06:50:12 AM »
Aren't those "faded" YOLTs from India , on cheap paper thus it looks faded....that's what I always thought ?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:50:47 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1463 on: May 27, 2014, 06:53:39 AM »
Yup - me too.

The Indian 1 Sheets always have this hue to them.

VectisAuctions

« Reply #1464 on: June 04, 2014, 08:02:34 PM »
Like what has been mentioned in not so many words, when you have an Indian poster in your hands you just know it is an Indian poster. The paper is flimsy and the artwork/printing seems rushed.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1465 on: June 23, 2014, 10:07:18 AM »
I wasn't sure where to post this bearing in mind it is a New Acquisition and also might garner comment in this Genre; and also of course that there are now new rules about not posting more than two posts in one day if the combination falls in the Dealer column and the General column on every third day of the month.

So herewith.

The only comment or question of note being that all posters seen of this title and Style have the Singer's (Sheena Easton) box at the bottom in white.  I say all posters; there is one for sale at Cinemasterpieces and this image has been leant for Adam's Bond Poster site.

Otherwise, Bruce never seems to have sold an example as this.  So, what's the story, if any?  Why is this box with a red background?  And how come it hasn't been mentioned in times past - unless of course I am again late to the party?

Best.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1466 on: June 25, 2014, 10:16:12 AM »
Unless I am out of touch, I would have thought this one would have been jumped all over...

Or I would have been jumped On for being so behind the curve.

A minor bump to coerce some motivation...

VectisAuctions

« Reply #1467 on: June 25, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »
Simes, we will ask Adam to have a look at your last post as we are sure he will know something.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:43:35 PM by erik1925 »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1468 on: June 26, 2014, 03:56:25 AM »
DaveL of Cinemasterpieces suggests it is nothing more than an anomoly between different printers in the US. 

Oh well.  An interesting thing for me only because of its apparent rarity.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1469 on: June 26, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
Why would there be two different printers for this poster? Surely they would all be done at the same printers, so maybe just a difference as some were printed at a different time..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1470 on: June 26, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
No idea sir.

Hope Dave doesn't mind being quoted; "Sometimes there are slight differences in one sheets from that era depending on where they were printed. Some may have been printed in Cleveland, some in Los Angeles. I really wouldn't fuss about it, the differences are usually meaningless."

However, the white / yellow smoke Dr No and the chopped / full jet pack Thunderball 1 Sheets get some internet equivalent of column inches so was wondering about this.

Cheers all.

Bruce

« Reply #1471 on: June 26, 2014, 02:48:50 PM »
Why would there be two different printers for this poster? Surely they would all be done at the same printers, so maybe just a difference as some were printed at a different time..

One-sheets were printed at multiple printers ALL THE TIME from the 1920s to the 1970s (at least!)

Here is one of the most celebrated examples, the original Jaws one-sheet.
     Over the years we have noticed that there were slight variations in different known original examples of JAWS one-sheets. One of those differences is the lack of a ratings box, surely explained by those being "international styles". But there were other differences as well (and in absolutely surely original posters!), so we assigned our own Phil Wages to thoroughly investigate this, and he outdid himself! Here is what he reports:
     "I recently did some research into various JAWS one-sheet printings and found there are four variations of originals and one reproduction that could fool people who don't know what to look for! I compared SIXTY FOUR different JAWS one-sheet images from our own archives for this research.

First, here is an image that shows the variations in a side-by-side comparison with a brief description of each:

If your monitor resizes the above image, you can see a larger version here: http://www.emovieposter.com/images/announcements/dyk/20120810_jaws_printing_variations_compared_large.jpg

The reproduction measures 27" x 40" (original JAWS one-sheets are always 27" x 41"). But they can be identified even if you do not know the measurements because on all the originals, the left copyright notice is "indented" slightly into the left border (the reproduction has the copyright flush to the left edge of the image) AND the block "JAWS" logo is "indented" slightly into the right border (the reproduction block "JAWS" logo is flush to the right of the image). Here is a checklist:

JAWS REPRODUCTIONS CHECKLIST:
    1) measure 27" x 40"
    2) has the copyright flush to the left edge of the image
    3) has the bottom block "JAWS" title flush to the right of the image

Furthermore, it seems quite likely the reproductions were reproduced from the "NO NSS WITH BLOCK TITLE AT LOWER RIGHT" original poster. I suppose it is possible the reproductions are some sort of 1990s studio-issued "re-strikes", but we will not auction them as such unless irrefutable evidence can be presented. Remember too that this is only ONE version of a reproduction. There are surely others out there. Most are surely obvious (such as 24" x 36" posters or other wildly different measurements or crummy printing), but that's not to say other "high quality" reproductions haven't or won't been made, so it's always better to err on the side of caution.

It is also interesting to note that usually, international style posters carry no rating and no NSS number, but in the case of JAWS, the international style posters DO have an NSS number. There is only one original variation of the poster that does not have an NSS number, but it has a rating!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:50:02 PM by eMoviePoster.com »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1472 on: June 26, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »
Good grief, as you say, he did out-do himself.

Has the poor chap managed to retain his vision?

I still find it strange that there appears to be very little history of the red box credit on the FYEO poster, and amazed that you Bruce appear not to have sold one.

Cheers.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1473 on: June 26, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »
Great info there, Bruce and Phil!  clap

Your post should also be in the Authentication section; i just did a quick look and there looks to be NO dedicated thread, discussing Jaws OS authentication details.

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #1474 on: June 26, 2014, 05:04:54 PM »
Good grief, as you say, he did out-do himself.

Has the poor chap managed to retain his vision?

I still find it strange that there appears to be very little history of the red box credit on the FYEO poster, and amazed that you Bruce appear not to have sold one.

Cheers.

It is precisely the fact that we have never sold one of these why we have no information about it. We thoroughly research everything we auction, but we can't take the time to research items we have never had. Eventually we will be consigned this!