Author Topic: Movie Poster Authentication Book  (Read 47976 times)

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
    • Dan Rickard Photography
Movie Poster Authentication Book
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
For years I have been working on a labour of love about Movie Poster Authentication.

If you know me you know my history to some degree in that I have been collecting since the age of 8 years old and have been around the motion picture business all my life while not being directly involved in it.

I shut down my site and took a leave from being so involved in the hobby a few years ago. I found myself spending way too much of my time researching and comparing and not enough time with my son who means more to be on so many levels than any hobby I may find myself in.

I took a step back and took a step into another hobby of mine since the age of 7. This was photography and over the last few years have really enjoyed working with images again thanks to the digital arena and have started doing photo shoots for clients and friends which I have also enjoyed.

I was going through my personal things lately throwing things out that really don't matter and came across a 4 inch binder full of emails I had saved over the last 12 years on the Internet. This binder is FULL of info from film studios,printers,artists,and of course other people I have met through my old web site...one of which was a great friendship I had made with John Alvin and also some good conversations with Drew Struzan.

Anyway back to the binder....I just about chucked this thing in the trash...there's so much in there that it's hard to know where to begin.
I thought I knew the answer to that about 2 years ago when I did a trial run with just "SPIDERMAN" .

I compiled the info on the first Spiderman 2002 film since I know quite a bit about it.
I did a test print in book form and although it turned out very good, I wasn't quite as excited as I should have been.
Especially after the effort I put into it.
Others I showed thought it was really good and that I was just being too hard on myself but that is who I am.
It sits on my shelf collecting dust as a "one-off".

If I were to do this project it would have to be split into different books on different subjects or put it all in one?

Then I started thinking exactly how many people are really going to buy a book about Movie Poster Authentication anyway?

Not that I was doing this for others as much as I was doing it for myself but if I planned on printing it...how many people would it reach?

100 at best?

The book I have in my head and in my binder covers about 20 different films from 1970 to 2002ish...it covers poster artists-printing-studio marketing-different printings of the same image-bootlegs/reprints...and little bits of info you never knew about some of the posters.

My issue these days is I have a full time job that usually goes into overtime. My Sunday is my only rest day and it's usually spent doing a photo shoot-my Tuesday is my other day off where I run around trying to keep bills up to date-gas in my car-and food on the table. I just don't have the time that I wish I did. If the great One Sheet God comes down and takes me from this earth suddenly it will indeed be a shame to see all this info go to waste.

So I propose this...a 60/40 split

I would be willing to go in with someone on printing a book if they were willing to assemble it.

My intention would be to have it published and this is where my book partner would come in.

The book would be in my words and I would provide all the info and pictures-you need to put it together (awesome editing skills) and "have-an-in" for publishing.

If this sounds like you drop me a detailed email at danrickard@hotmail.com

This is the only way this will ever be done...I can't do it all myself...sorry.

I put my pants on the same way as you...one leg at a time!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Movie Poster Authentication Book
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
Hi Dan - why not give a website as a dissemination source/tool another try?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:14:57 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »
There's no way I will return with a web site-it really felt like way too much time was spent on a bunch of text on a computer screen.

I appreciate the comment though....

besides...that is where this site comes in handy right?  ;0/

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 04:28:48 PM »
Dan

Great idea, but book publishing is practically dead. The moment you would publish it, people on the web would copy much of it and put it on their own sites so YOU would have been laboring long and hard for people you don't even know, and THEY would take the credit for your work.

You could do a great website, but the reward would be in the appreciation you receive, for you would surely lose money on it.

I wish this were not so, but sadly it is,

But no one, no matter how much of your great work is stolen, can take away all the good you have done for this hobby, and of course there have been others who have carried on what you have done with their own authentications of many fakes.

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 04:37:53 PM »
 welcome1 to APF, Dan.
Yes, books and websites are like black holes these days.
I suggest a DAN RICKARD AUTHENTICATION thread where you post some of that great info (and interesting anecdotes) in measured doses.
This way you pass on your knowledge -- at your leisure -- to those who can benefit best.
Just my two cents...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 05:57:03 PM »
Not a bad idea Ted. 

And I do agree with Bruce's sentiments about publishing the book.  The other problem is that information could change
in such a way as to alter an authentication or an authentication test.  Dan, in book form your work would become much too static and unadaptable.

But I do understand your concerns over another website (and I do love books - but they are better, in my opinion, for different types of poster/collectibles discussion).

We could all use your expertise firsthand on many of these questionable posters that come up all the time (whereby the discussion usually ends up regurgitiating second hand info like - "well so-and-so said or thinks this, if I can remember correctly but I can't find the original information or conversation") and so I hope you with lend a hand when you can Dan...
Chris

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
I appreciate ALL the above comments and have considered that the most appropriate thing for me to do at this time is to continue to exist on this thread.
If you have a question or comment feel free to post on this thread and I will do my best to answer it. This is probably the most efficient way for me to exists these days without surfing around on other threads trying to keep up...good idea to the man above!

Again...thank you for your opinions and I agree.

peace out

D

PS-Don't know if anyone of you does Facebook but if you do....search my page "DAN RICKARD PHOTOGRAPHY" there and you are more than welcome to drop by and "like" my page and see what I have been up to....hope to see some of you there!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »
Thanks for the offer, Dan. Very much appreciated.

This is the link to your Facebook page.

A couple of poster-related Qs (they all have links to various Authentication threads on this forum).

(1) Which variants of the Blade Runners are suspect?

(2) Do you have information about the Woodstock posters that have come out in the last couple of years?

(3) Any information about the Pelham/R Rating Clockwork Orange posters?  A "well known long time" dealer advises they are wilding posters from NY and LA.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:02:00 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
Out of everyone I know on these forums, Mel, you are the one person that comes to mind with helping Dan with his project.  After Jeannie abandoned her authentication site, you pretty much took over with your own site, showing patience and diligence.  I know I couldn't do it, and I can't think of someone else who could.

You should really think about it.  Plus, you'd get to work closely with Dan and pick his brain for all of us.

Dan... why only 20.  I remember your original website, before you changed it and removed a bunch of title.  It had pictures of your collection and an authentication side.  Then you rebooted it to a smaller authentication site and removed your collection.  I remember way more than 20 titles.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »
Well, never say never, but I have to agree that it's unlikely a poster authentication book would ever make money.  Plus I get very irritated when greaseballs like Goodfella say they want to start a poster authentication website for profit.  The basic authentications should be on the 'Net for free as a public service to keep newbs from being ripped off by the likes of Tom Loce and MovieGoods.

Ideally, it should be a collective effort (like Wikipedia) but movieposterauthenticating.com was a collective effort that pretty much died when Jeannie moved on to other "life interests."
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:27:01 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
You mean her drinking :)  I need to call her and give her shit.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
You mean her drinking :)  I need to call her and give her shit.

Drunk doctors obsessed with Hayden Christensen. Frightening.....

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 01:30:18 AM »

(1) Which variants of the Blade Runners are suspect?

I own a number of printing variations (can't recall but perhaps 4-5, own 30x40 and 14x36 orig and bootleg) and have also had a printer proof in my hands for a couple of months. I have not had time to go through them. I do recall hearing there was a studio printing out there years ago that was printed for 16mm bookings ( I can't stand up in court for this as fact) however I was sold a copy from this apparent printing with pricing that reflected this.
WB had just started playing around with full bleed printing-the first one I recall was "10" which was also printed with a white border. They also did "The Hand" in 1981. Blade Runner was perhaps the 4th or 5th poster of there's printed full bleed and I think there were problems printing it due to ink and paper-(just an observation). Hope this helps...

(2) Do you have information about the Woodstock posters that have come out in the last couple of years?
Nothing hardcore-I own an orig release one sheet folded and a rolled adv car (wilding?) . I had an adv with a black man walking down the road once which was really rare...personally I would stay away from collecting style c's as I had some doubts about them years ago due to ink being used on some of them.

(3) Any information about the Pelham/R Rating Clockwork Orange posters?  A "well known long time" dealer advises they are wilding posters from NY and LA.

I spent many hours on this poster trying to track down proof....hours at the library....nothing. One thing I was pretty sure about was these were not part of the original release pattern-nor were they part of the switch to R rating which was basically a failure in 1973. It seemed to take too long for WB to get the cuts made and the prints out and by then people had lost interest. Those who wanted to see it saw the X Rating prints in the U.S. and those who couldn't see it (anyone under age) were able to go see it with a parent when the R prints were released in the states...seriously...what was the point?

Anyway....ACO was re-released many many times...just like Apocalypse Now....when theatres needed something to run for a week or two they filled in with these 2 films many times...now...someone said 1975..and you know what? perhaps...what with Barry Lyndon coming out...perhaps WB thought they could bring it back limited in NY AND LA....there was no MAJOR RE-RELEASE until 1982 when the Orange art was used.

I own x rated...r rated-2 printings....no rated-International...1982 mini poster-Canada....1982 nss one sheet re-release...original x rated insert and bootleg insert...and an original r rated insert....and lastly...an international approx 27x40 1982 re-release..

agentprovocateur

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 08:13:26 AM »
Hi Dan... good to see you on the forum. ;D

I'd agree with what other wiser people said about publishing a book, my major concern would be as mentioned the fluid nature of authentication, once published when new info. emerges there'd have to be a revised edition.

I do prefer the printed page compared to a website, so just to put it in the mix there is another option, all your information could be designed as document then saved as a (low resolution web ready) PDF with a specific 'Edition #X' signifier and date. Once designed the first time 90% of the hard work is complete, all that would happen then would be amendments and additions as and when new information emerged. Maybe the PDF could be released each year, for people to download, with the previous years new findings and titled with the specific edition and year.

There are web based publishing/print companies that are geared to this sort of publication, you could upload a high resolution version of the PDF to their website, specify the printing method required and a nominal price. Then anyone can purchase a copy that they'll print and send out on an order by order basis.

I know it's a slightly convoluted explanation but think it's got some advantages.

AP

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »
(1) Which variants of the Blade Runners are suspect?  I own a number of printing variations (can't recall but perhaps 4-5, own 30x40 and 14x36 orig and bootleg)....

(2) Do you have information about the Woodstock posters that have come out in the last couple of years?  Nothing hardcore-I own an orig release one sheet folded and a rolled adv car (wilding?)....

(3) Any information about the Pelham/R Rating Clockwork Orange posters?  A "well known long time" dealer advises they are wilding posters from NY and LA. I spent many hours on this poster trying to track down proof....hours at the library....

Lieutenant Dan, I salute you!  I was expecting a simple "boiled shrimp" answer but got:

"shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich...."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:32:20 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
how come some say KABOBS and some say KABABS? always wondered.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »
I say souvlaki :P

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 08:50:15 PM »
Damn Greeks ;) (says ARI)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 10:43:08 PM »
Lieutenant Dan, I salute you!  I was expecting a simple "boiled shrimp" answer but got:

sorry...I don't do "boiled shrimp"....I'll tell you what I know....no more..no less...

d
 ;0)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:47 PM »
Dan -
In another thread, there has been discussion about the STAR WARS style 'A' printing history: Which came first, 'funky text' or '-0'?
Have you done any research on this poster that you might be able to share?
 cheers

Offline Dan

• Hobbyist
  • Dan
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »
What came first the chicken or the egg?

I have all the different printings associated with the style a one sheet that I could find...without digging them out..I think it was 5 diff originals..

I remember talking with Pete about Star Wars quite a few years ago when he and Steve were writing the "Star Wars Poster Book" (which I may add you should go buy one if you don't have one).

I helped out on the bootleg/repo section and you will notice my old web site mentioned on page 289 with a nice acknowledgment on the back page.

Sorry straying off topic...as for the first printing of the style a......I as well as many others are quite certain that the 77/21-0 was the first printing...based on the solid fact that the style b teaser which was released prior to the style a being printed shares the same number...well..at least the GAU logo printed ones were ;0)

Another indication for me is that there are 2 printings of the 77/21-0...one with rating and one without rating....one for distribution in North America and one for International use...this is usually done with the first printings...

I also remember the Lobby Card fans indicating they also thought so because the first Lobby Cards were issued with that number...although Lobby Cards are not really my thing (I do own a set of them for Star Wars with the 77/21-0).

Always wondered why they numbered 77/21-0 ?  My thoughts were because they were up in the air about what art campaign to go with..they had met with a number of artists..you name it...Berkey was the front runner (remember his cool King Kong art from 76?)...then the whole Hildebrant thing....I think they knew early on there would be more posters...more printing after they struck the first Style A....

My personal fav Star Wars poster of all time?  Gotta go with the 22x28 half sheet style A...loved the addition of Han Solo and Chewy and Alec...not to mention the Tie-Fighters....the size suits the art well...

Runner up...the Style C ...but that's another story now isn't it?

peace out

d

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »
The Star Wars poster book on page 25 says that the White/Struzan "Style D Circus poster" was almost used as the first poster. It was finished a year prior to the movie's release.  Charles White said that "[t]hey were going to try and make this the first poster, but they had so much already in place that they decided against it."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:55:31 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »
My personal fav Star Wars poster of all time?  Gotta go with the 22x28 half sheet style A...loved the addition of Han Solo and Chewy and Alec...not to mention the Tie-Fighters....the size suits the art well...

*High fives*

Couldn't agree more, but, for me, the clicher was the giant X-wing.

This was my first Holy Grail in the pre-eBay days...

Thanks for the run down.  It was so much easier when we could just reference an old MPT link...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
Thanks for the rundown, Dan.
Without re-hashing all that I have stated in previous posts, I am puzzled as to the distribution of these posters. Is it possible that 'funky text' posters were distributed on the East Coast while '-0' printings were used in the West?

As for the 1/2 sheet, it is a beauty.  Here's mine, unused and acquired the Summer of 77....

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »
That is one of my favorite posters as well!  By the way, has the 1/2 sheet ever been bootlegged?  These seem to pop up for sale quite often and they are almost always in very good/unused condition.  Was this one minty-whited?