Author Topic: Storing Posters  (Read 57321 times)

Charlie

Re: Storing Posters
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 05:14:56 PM »
Should you use a acid-free backing with those sleeves? Also, could "rigid vinyl" cause damage to the posters for long periods of storage?

I was looking at those two, since they seem fairly more economical (compared to mylar), but was wondering about the above.

I know back in the mid nineties when my dad had the cardshop that the first generation of these had acid in them and they would yellow over time.  I am pretty sure those days have passed.  I went out to a guy here near Houston who uses them on everything he is selling.  But he either backs thems so they don't slide around or they (the posters) are already linen backed.  This may actually be a good example of what Rich and I think maybe Paul were saying that a layer of mulberry paper would help keep it from moving around because these have a defined internal opening...  They don't vacuum like poly bags...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:16:28 PM by Charlie »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I would only use acid-free backings if I was going to use backings.

But I do use backings and they are acid-free.

:D
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »
just give it up already. you lost the battle, you can still win the war

Oh yeah!  The office manager assistant comes to me and says I know you wanted those flat file.  We will be throwing away two (5-drawer) of them after lunch I'll tell the guys to load them up for you if you want.  I give the story about what was going in.  He says, I am not waiting they are going in the bin or you can take them; up to you.  So 10 drawers are sitting in the bed of my truck...  woohoo

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 06:32:03 PM »
Great score Charlie! 
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »
Rolled: some in 6mil, some in 2mil, some just sitting there naked...

Bought some new 3mil sleeves as the 6mil were to thick to push in the end of the poster.  Also started labeling these as well..

Is it possible to get sleeves for rolled posters without buying them 250 bulk?  I'm going to buy some poly's from Bags Unlimited for my folded posters but need some for my rolled.  I want the 4 mil but the minimum amount Bags has is 250!  I don't even really even need a double digit amount so buying that many would be a complete waste.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
Charlie finally found the right price to buy equipment

:P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Charlie

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 10:23:35 PM »
Is it possible to get sleeves for rolled posters without buying them 250 bulk?  I'm going to buy some poly's from Bags Unlimited for my folded posters but need some for my rolled.  I want the 4 mil but the minimum amount Bags has is 250!  I don't even really even need a double digit amount so buying that many would be a complete waste.

I just buy a roll of poly tubing and cut to length... for like $50  it lasts pretty much forever; I've never run out.  Plus, you can use them around the house for screws, tools, etc...  This was a pick of my rollers but the poly roll is next to it...

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:15:38 PM by Charlie »

Charlie

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
Charlie finally found the right price to buy equipment

:P

Yeah Free is Awesome!

Got them set up and labeled.  Have to clear the pile to the right before I put the old one next to it.  These are monsters 53" x 41"....  I even scored an extra top to maybe use to help take pics... 

Today was an awesome day.  I got these, I rented my damn house, and the company won a 20 million dollar transportation project today so I'll be employed for at least another two years...  Plus TxDOT (The State Department of Transportation) found 2 billion dollars in an accounting effort to fund more projects.  I also got my wall mount bracket today too...  Hellava good day!  happy1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
Those look great Charlie.  Congrats
Chris

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 11:18:21 PM »
Yeah, looks very good Charlie, well done. They are big. I think your floor is dropping.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 11:23:59 PM »
Charlie.. you're telling me that principals have prevented you from buying 8 of those for $50 each??

what are you thinking man?? hoping they'll throw out the other 6??

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Charlie

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 11:38:38 PM »
Charlie.. you're telling me that principals have prevented you from buying 8 of those for $50 each??

what are you thinking man?? hoping they'll throw out the other 6??

Well, after hauling those ten drawers up stairs I am sorta glad I didn't buy the other 30...  But on the other hand if I go back and ask for ten more for $100 I'll have gotten all four of them for the price I wanted... They actually sold 10 drawers for $200 and now the marketing department fell in love with the extra working space with stack of two back-to-back.  The only others I could get is a 20 drawer stack for $200.

Plus I am not 100% certain that the weight is good for the house.  I ran over the original blue prints and my wife (a structural engineer) looked over them too.  The files where they are now are sitting on top of a header wall so they should be fine but the farther right I go the less structure there is to support them.  I think two more is all I would want to put up here... 

Charlie

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
Yeah, looks very good Charlie, well done. They are big. I think your floor is dropping.

It may be.  Yeah, notice the gap from the carpet to the base boards.  Basically, they installed the base boards after they installed the carpet.  It should have been the other way around...  Its all around the house this way...

Charlie

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 11:41:58 PM »
Those look great Charlie.  Congrats

Great score Charlie! 

Thanks guys.  I am really happy to get them...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »
Got the feeling that Abide Posters might soon become a Texas landmark.
We knew you when....  wynk
Congrats, Charlie!

SHOCKWAVE

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 10:37:35 PM »
Yeah Free is Awesome!

Got them set up and labeled.  Have to clear the pile to the right before I put the old one next to it.  These are monsters 53" x 41"....  I even scored an extra top to maybe use to help take pics... 

Today was an awesome day.  I got these, I rented my damn house, and the company won a 20 million dollar transportation project today so I'll be employed for at least another two years...  Plus TxDOT (The State Department of Transportation) found 2 billion dollars in an accounting effort to fund more projects.  I also got my wall mount bracket today too...  Hellava good day!  happy1

Thats awesome dude !!! i got these 4 flats last wed night they need a good going over with some goo be gone there was tape or stickers on them but for free im in for a bit of work

and dont tell me my floor is bendy cause its concrete they already have 3400 ish posters in them :-)
mom's poster collection and now my personal colection

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »

and dont tell me my floor is bendy cause its concrete they already have 3400 ish posters in them :-)

Your plan cabinet is bendy - too many posters in 'em

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 02:12:20 AM »

I think you have too many posters in the drawers - it looks bendy
David

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 04:48:42 AM »
I think you have too many posters in the drawers - it looks bendy

Wow, that's what I was thinking...

Charlie

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 12:21:33 AM »
But what are you going to do with all those empty flat files Charlie?  Better get busy!

They are already full.  Need some more...  Let me take a quick pic; I got the labeling sorted out.

Got the labeling all sorted out. May have to combine as I go. 

Top File
-Pushing my wife's button with "The Other Woman" drawer A.K.A. Natalie Portman is inside there.  ;D
-I have too many Eastwoods I had to separate out one sheets from other formats...  I guess that is not too terrible of a problem.

Bottom File:
-Been wanting to give Mel a 'Thank You' shout out for the free (from his freebie give away) Grosse Pointe Blanke DS OS; Minnie was in Austin this week for SxSW but I am here...  :(

Old File:
-My little girl's posters.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:42 AM »
Charlie - I love how your labels are so personalized  ;D
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2012, 01:36:02 AM »
Charlie's mania is reaching new heights.  wynk

All that nice work and look how crooked the Driver/Blunt sticker is....tsk...tsk...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »
Charlie's mania is reaching new heights.  wynk

All that nice work and look how crooked the Driver/Blunt sticker is....tsk...tsk...

That was cruel, Ted.  Now Charlie won't be able to sleep till he fixes it.  ;)
-Jay-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 08:28:06 AM »
That was cruel, Ted.  Now Charlie won't be able to sleep till he fixes it.  ;)

I know, I'm a bad man.  wynk

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
Supplemental question regarding storing posters:

So I was fortunate enough to pick up this poster over the weekend:

I'm definitely excited to have it in my collection, and certainly plan on framing it to hang on my wall.

My question is, as this is my first Mylar poster, I am curious as to the best way of preserving it. I know that over time the paper has a tendency to separate and cause ripples. There is already some minor ripples present, and I want to minimize any more in the future.

Is there anything special I should do when framing it? I plan on getting the deluxe archival frame with the UV shielded plexiglass and acid free backing. But as the poster would be sitting loose in the frame, I was concerned that gravity could have a negative impact. Is there anything I should/could do to ensure it stays in as good condition as possible?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:26:24 AM by enki »