Author Topic: New camera setup...  (Read 11834 times)

Charlie

New camera setup...
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »
So I got the idea from Rich and a twinkle of remote operating my camera turned into reality tonight using the Canon EOS Utility.  So I laid the poster on a table and propped up my tripod almost all the way to the ceiling, clicked a box on my computer and this is what I got.... Pretty Cool!

Small:

If you want to see extra large:  http://www.abideposters.com/forsale/images/miami_rhapsody_L.jpg

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: New camera setup...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »
Wait, every time you take a photo with your new setup, SJP invades your movie posters?  That sounds TERRIBLE!

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:16:40 PM »
Wait, every time you take a photo with your new setup, SJP invades your movie posters?  That sounds TERRIBLE!

rofl1

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »
No seriously Charlie.  Stopping hitting that button on your computer... I think I'm going to be sick.  puke2

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
No seriously Charlie.  Stopping hitting that button on your computer... I think I'm going to be sick.  puke2

It actually made that poster better...  ;)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:02:24 AM »
I bought an eye-fi card for my camera, I love it. If I am in range of my network it uploads to my computer while the camera is on. No more transferring pictures or plugging the camera into the computer at all.

I also use the shutter release remote for my canon, cost like $8 another highly suggested investment.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
It actually made that poster better...  ;)

I think the presence of SPJ is how you can determine that it was from the later cable/video restrike as opposed to the original theatrical release (which was sans SPJ)!

And yes Dale, Eye-Fi cards rock! 

Charlie

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »
In my new lair, I am using the top of the flat file for flattening posters so I can't stand it up and put posters up with magnets.  I've priced out a 10' x 4' sheet of 1/8 steel to attach to the wall but when Rich mentioned wall mounting a camera and shooting down I started working it out in my head.  Initially, I didn't think it would work because the camera would have to be so high and would be difficult to depress the button or use the "wired" remote.  Then, I started thinking there has to be some way to remote into a digital SLR; this isn't just a point and shoot.  Who knew that software came with the camera... 

Also got tired of not displaying my posters; a few pin holes won't hurt these cheapos...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »
In my new lair, I am using the top of the flat file for flattening posters so I can't stand it up and put posters up with magnets.  I've priced out a 10' x 4' sheet of 1/8 steel to attach to the wall but when Rich mentioned wall mounting a camera and shooting down I started working it out in my head.  Initially, I didn't think it would work because the camera would have to be so high and would be difficult to depress the button or use the "wired" remote.  Then, I started thinking there has to be some way to remote into a digital SLR; this isn't just a point and shoot.  Who knew that software came with the camera... 

Also got tired of not displaying my posters; a few pin holes won't hurt these cheapos...

Please God or Santa Clause..
If I ever reach this rung on the collecting ladder,you will tell me,right?.. ;)

Stew

Charlie

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
So I like this ceiling/wall mount idea such much (and since I didn't win anything last night in Peter's or HA's auctions) I found this puppy:

Manfrotto Wall Mount (soon to be ceiling mount) camera support...  This idea is so much better than magnets and hanging vertically.  Now I just need some of Dave's glass paper weights...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130592135991

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »
We need a few more of those glass paperweights too! Ours are getting pretty beat up. I wish I could remember where we ordered them from.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »

Charlie

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »
OK I got the 3" x 5" glass paperweight.  Also ordered some vinyl ABIDE stickers to trim and place the head part on top of them for a unique 'watermark'...  Damn, now I have to reshoot all my posters...

Charlie

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 11:07:15 PM »
OK on to Phase 2.  The only thing left to arrive is the bracket.  I have made several tweaks to the set up...  

1. Added yellow light in addition to white light for a better light balance.  It actually gives some warmth..

2. Took the paper weights and added the vinyl ABIDE stickers for added kick and to go with my website.

3. Added rollers to the table.  This is for Phase 3 of my plan.  Once I get the bracket setup, I am going to install a laser pointer.  With the rollers on the table, I will be able to adjust the table so that the camera is shooting the exact center of the poster or area of the poster I am trying to capture.

4. Added steel measuring tape (ended up using two Left-to-Right versus shown) on the top and bottom, so that I never have to worry about the measurements ever again...

I slapped a poster on (EXYU Stargate) and free handed the photo; the bracket will surely facilitate a much better photo...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:08:39 PM by Charlie »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »
Charlie. 2 mounts
bottom mount is 48" above the table for anything up to 40x60 or less
top mount is another 20" or so higher

camera hooked up by usb to computer. we never touch the camera except to turn it on or recharge the battery. when I move into my own building late this year, I'll make a more professional setup, hopefully with a rotary track

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 10:33:20 PM »
ps: we use a Canon G-10 14.7mp

Next I'm getting an 18mp CMOS based unit which will take much sharper images
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:33:36 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Charlie

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 12:13:44 AM »
The new bracket is working quite nicely.  Check out the setup in this mylar poster...

Through the Stones

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 02:00:31 AM »
I wanted to revive this thread because I finally started shooting my posters and wanted to see if anyone's set-ups had changed or see what some of us newer guys are doing to shoot their posters?  Also, Bruce, don't know if you've posted your set-up before but I'd love to see how you guys do it. 

Currently, living in a condo, I have zero space for anything of a permanent workspace so I've been going for the place poster on the floor in front of a large window, put two chairs on either side of said poster, straddle the poster on the chairs and shoot from directly above.  It seems to be working so far and when I pull them into editing I'm only getting minor plane distortion (not perfectly rectangular).  I also don't touch the colors or brightness so I can maintain as true color to the lighting as I can.  I find this is especially important for double sided posters and shooting the back side so I can see the color difference, if any.

My only concern is accidentally dropping the camera (I use the neck strap but still) or falling off the chair all together which I've almost done because my three year old tugged on my leg.

So whaddya all do?  Bruce, how do you guys mass produce this process?  Any and all tips are appreciated!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 03:08:01 AM »
Someone gave a tip once (in here) and I followed it, great advice too.

I have on the wall one of those magnetic notice boards, for you it means it could double up as an everyday notice board or even a poster display - also you can mark out the different size posters with a thin permanent market so centering the posters in the same place is not so much an issue on shoot days...but definitely get yourself a tripod, that way you can shoot on a fixed focus using a cable remote or even a wireless remote, but then again that would depend on how posters you shoot in a session.

You can avoid barrel roll images by then experimenting with distance, but at the end of the day some lens/brands are worse than others for this - but that said I am no expert on cameras/lenses.

I wouldn't get caught up in the whole 'natural' light thing - your real problem is that 'natural light varies from day to day even from minute to minute so you will end up with different results even with the same poster. Artificial light can help ensure you get a uniform result, for the most part you can adjust your camera settings to then produce a closer to natural (as in what the poster actually looks like) look that way.

David

Bruce

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 06:04:38 AM »

This is a metal wall, with tiny magnets that are very strong and hold the posters in place.

Good even lighting is essential to getting high grade, non distorted images without glare.

Through the Stones

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »
Awesome.  Love that pic Bruce.  A metal notice board is a great idea.  Maybe I can devote a wall to a couple of permanent hangers and then on shoot days just hang it and then take it down when I'm done.  I am limited for sure on wall space in here with three kids (pics of family and all that).  I kinda have to go quick and fast on my shooting too since I have a three year old and a five year old at home with me.  What I really should do is find a solid day where I can set up something in my one car garage.  I have a tripod and some photo floods that are tungsten balanced and then I could just white balance accordingly... hmmm... thinking out loud here. 

Where do you guys get magnets that are that small but that powerful?  Or are they just run of the mill refrigerator magnets?

Charlie

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »
Where do you guys get magnets that are that small but that powerful?  Or are they just run of the mill refrigerator magnets?

Rare earth...

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

Bruce

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 02:55:19 PM »
20 years ago those cost around $25 each!

Through the Stones

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »
Nice.  I'm thinking the 6lb cubes (qty 20).  Think that will be enough to hold flat rolled mylars or extra thick stock like a 30x40 or 40x60?  Or should I go with the .5 inch 24lbers?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
Remember you need them long enough (and fat enough) to be able to grab them and pull them off the poster, too small and you'll be fiddling and may accidentally slide the magnet on the poster perhaps marking it.

Personally I'd go with NSN0656 or NSN0643 - but it's a personal preference. Double check on eBay for supplies too (watch out for crappy Chinese ones that chip easily however).

I have my set-up in the garage too (the notice board is screwed to the wall) I have the concrete floor marked for where to set down the tripod each time, photo flood lights that take no time to set up and then away I go - the real pros in this game simply shoot straight to their computers; I do a batch re-size in Photoshop and I am good to go, takes a little longer but it's no issue really

David