Author Topic: Ebay: Be ready to pay more on shipping  (Read 3385 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Ebay: Be ready to pay more on shipping
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:16:44 AM »
Just read this:

Starting in June to achieve and keep your Top-rated seller status, tracking information or a Delivery Confirmation number must be uploaded to eBay on at least 90% of your shipments to US buyers within your stated handling time. If you don’t ship with tracking you can’t be Top Rated.

Ultimately, it could be a very good thing for Ebay and sellers.  Too many unscrupulous buyers complain that they haven't received an item when in fact they have, leading Ebay and Paypal to force a reimbursement from the seller.

It will, however, lead the buyer to spend more on shipping, which is already astronomical if you buy a lot of posters.  Ouch!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Ebay: Be ready to pay more on shipping
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
no reason for sellers not to have delivery confirmation on packages sent in the US when using USPS.

The past year or so USPS has made HUGE progress in the end to end scanning on items. It used to be, yep the number is in the system and yep it was scanned when delivered. I would say over 99% of what I have had to look up recently, has been scanned at every stop.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
funny you say this, i had someone ring up ebay to complain about my shipping charges, ebay then called me and asked why i am charging £3.50p for 1st class recorded delivery, i replayed it costs £3.35p + the tube, so i make a loss on shipping still, i was then told by the agent that i cant use any free listing days in future until my shipping costs are addressed.

i kid you not.

Juli

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:23:23 AM »
The thing that stinks is that USPS will not allow large envelopes or letters to have delivery confirmation which is how autographs are mailed. I would have to put the autographed item in a box for it to have delivery confirmation which would end up costing a whole lot more money (about $5-6) for shipping which the buyer would be unhappy to pay, and would end up cutting into how much I get for the item.

Bruce

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:32:55 AM »
Thanks, eBay, for doing all you can to get me more consignors!

Bruce

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »
The thing that stinks is that USPS will not allow large envelopes or letters to have delivery confirmation which is how autographs are mailed. I would have to put the autographed item in a box for it to have delivery confirmation which would end up costing a whole lot more money (about $5-6) for shipping which the buyer would be unhappy to pay, and would end up cutting into how much I get for the item.

This can't be correct - I mail large envelopes and letters from our firm all the time that use delivery confirmation when there isn't a need for certified mail but we still wish to have records of mailing
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Juli

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:06:26 PM »
This can't be correct - I mail large envelopes and letters from our firm all the time that use delivery confirmation when there isn't a need for certified mail but we still wish to have records of mailing

I read that when you do shipping labels, you can print out a delivery confirmation number but the post office is not required to scan them as they are not parcels.

I was at the post office trying to mail some autographs and they told me I can not get delivery confirmation on flats. On the USPS website it says "first class mail parcels" and after that it said "can not be used on large envelopes (flats) or letters." However delivery confirmation can be used on those priority flat rate envelopes since it's priority mail and all priority mail and express mail is allowed to have delivery confirmation.

guest4185

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »
I hate eBay's theft of 9% or whatever it is of the postal cost. No other word can apply except theft.
Sadly I am waiting on two daybills from an American seller that were apprently sent on Jan 23 - I don't think I'll get them now.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 07:28:36 PM »
While I agree that 9% is ridiculous for commission on shipping, I think they did it to combat some of the shipping fraud that was going on. IE: selling a $10 item for $0.01 and $9.99 S/H.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 03:31:52 PM »
While I agree that 9% is ridiculous for commission on shipping, I think they did it to combat some of the shipping fraud that was going on. IE: selling a $10 item for $0.01 and $9.99 S/H.

If eBay did that for the buyers benefit they really didn't think that one though very well.  Anytime I sell anything on eBay I account for the commission fee so that I'm able to cover costs on shipping and packaging, so in the end the buyer is paying more shipping because eBay is greedy, three fees on one item just isn't enough for them I guess.  And paying for delivery conformation is nothing, it's like 19 cents (I think with the last postage increase they've actually added it into the cost of some of the forms of shipping, as I didn't have to pay an additional fee last time I mailed a book 1st class) well worth it to be able to have a tracking number and proof you mailed something because there are quite a few dishonest buyers out there.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »
sadly.. with the latest USPS increase, I find I am also going to have to increase shipping costs at least for International shipping

:'(

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 11:07:20 PM »
I always find it slightly amusing when I see a listing on eBay where the seller "offers" tracking and/or insurance for an added fee, warning the buyer that it's a good idea to protect themselves from lost or damaged packages and how they aren't responsible if anything goes wrong if the buyer opts out of it.

In some cases, with small-time or infrequent sellers, I imagine it's simple due to ignorance on their part.

But with the larger sellers, who certainly know what the policies are, it's clearly a case of them trying to trick (or one might even say defraud) the buyers.

The fact is, the seller assumes total liability for the item until it arrives and is signed for and accepted by the buyer. Not only is this the policy with eBay/PayPal, but it's a standard practice of doing business. If you don't receive something, or it arrives damaged, it's not the buyers fault and they aren't liable for the cost. Even their credit card company would support a dispute.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I read something on eBay's website where it prohibits this type of trick too.