Author Topic: Copyright and "Fair Use" - Photolaw.net  (Read 59892 times)

Bruce

Re: Copyright and "Fair Use" - Photolaw.net
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 07:17:18 AM »
No Ted. It is only OUR money they love to give away. Of course, they are all planning to give away half of what they have after they die, but nothing much until then.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
Suzanne Pleshette was AMAZING in that role as Leona Helmsley. I remember seeing those ads in the airline mags when flying, with Leona garbed like some queen. Who knew that she was that kind of cheating tyrant. At the time this TV movie was made in 1990, this is what the "queen of mean" was found guilty of:

She only served 18 months out of her 48 month sentence.

Figures.  eyeroll

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 07:06:22 AM »
I'm reposting Mike's posts and my responses in this thread:

Another nice image lifted from Poster Mountain. How do you have access to their login only portion of their database for so many posters Mel or have you had that many restored over the years and they are yours? Just curious as I would love to see a lot of their larger sized images as well but also know that you have owned a small mountain of them over the years as well.

Well, Mike, the word "lifted" is legally inappropriate since this "graphic work" was created in the 1950s and fell into the public domain several decades ago.  The artist (or artists) probably shuffled off this mortal coil long ago.  We can reproduce this artwork, sell it on t-shirts, tattoo it on our chests, etc. As for how I obtained this particular digital reproduction, that's for me to know. Had you asked privately, I might have told you.

Mel that is one thing I love about you, you are a lawyer to the end.

Some of us mind, some don't, most do not have any need to use the law to excuse what we are showing or how they do it. By definition the artwork itself may very well be in the public domain but the usage of the photograph of said artwork is more recent and I believe protected under current copyright laws. Now you return with fare use, etc., etc., et al and the argument never ends. This I will not argue any more.

The point is just make mention of where you get these things. We all love to have knowledgeable people on the site to lend their expertise in whatever area it may be and wherever the source may be from. Don't be a lawyer and be human being, when you post photos from someone else especially those from professional businesses who do not take them for fun but take them as a part of their livelihood and pay for that time/labor to do so and hide that photo behind a password protected portion of their company owned website which makes that photo not public domain give due credit for the fact of where you got it from because if that is the case then it has indeed been lifted. If they gave you permission prior to your posting the photo and sent or gave direct access to you then I heartily apologize for the lifted comment. Same as research. I have no problem with you using any information that you may want from me here or on your own site but once in a while it would be nice to have the person passing it along give that person the credit they deserve as they spent the time and effort to research their facts rather than make it appear as though it is yours or just magically appeared out of thin air. When you know whom the source is show them the respect for their hard work. For images many people here make posts with images from HA all the time, others with images from PM, EMP and others. More often than not they give credit to the owner of the pic or information.

As to how you got your PM images, I more than likely know how. I also more than likely know how you got the large non watermarked images from HA. The fact that you can do it does not make it right. So again stop being a lawyer and be a human being and respect peoples hard work and effort by getting their permission first or at least acknowledging the source. I feel the same about others that do the same. That is my point here and the last thing I will say about this.

That would be "fair use" Mike not "fare use." Not only have you misspelled it, you have no clue what it means. "Fair use" allows anyone to post an image of a copyrighted image for limited non-profit purposes. It does not apply to public domain works, which can be used by anyone for any purpose, including selling such works for profit, for example selling reprints.

Aside from legalities, you're focusing on "protecting" those who deserve no protection. Think about it. The studio (the copyright owner) spends hundreds of thousands of dollars developing an advertising campaign, including movie posters. The artist and/or advertising agency spends hundreds or perhaps thousands of hours actually creating the poster. The studio appropriately deserves copyright protection for a period of time for those posters. The artists/creative agency deserve artistic credit.  Nevertheless, at a certain point those artistic works appropriately fall into the public domain and can be used by anyone for any purpose.

By contrast it takes two minutes to take a picture of a movie poster and post it on the Internet. That is not "hard work" by any stretch of the imagination. Furthermore, the photographer is doing NOTHING original, creative, or noteworthy by taking a picture of SOMEONE ELSE'S CREATIVE WORK. To suggest that the photographer has any legal or protected right in such a picture is absurd.  The US and UK courts have rejected such a frivolous argument. See Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp., 36 F. Supp. 2d 191 (S.D.N.Y. 1999).

Notwithstanding that legal principle, you can still heavily watermark an image if you are determined to "protect" your picture (i.e. digital reproduction) of someone else's creative work, as Poster Mountain used to do:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:08:06 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 09:26:11 AM »
By contrast it takes two minutes to take a picture of a movie poster and post it on the Internet. That is not "hard work" by any stretch of the imagination. Furthermore, the photographer is doing NOTHING original, creative, or noteworthy...

I disagree here, it takes quite a bit of effort to take a picture that is accurate.  That being said, I agree with you otherwise.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »
Think Mike needs a little backup about this.  sm1

Mel that is one thing I love about you, you are a lawyer to the end.

Some of us mind, some don't, most do not have any need to use the law to excuse what we are showing or how they do it. By definition the artwork itself may very well be in the public domain but the usage of the photograph of said artwork is more recent and I believe protected under current copyright laws. Now you return with fare use, etc., etc., et al and the argument never ends. This I will not argue any more.

The point is just make mention of where you get these things. We all love to have knowledgeable people on the site to lend their expertise in whatever area it may be and wherever the source may be from. Don't be a lawyer and be human being, when you post photos from someone else especially those from professional businesses who do not take them for fun but take them as a part of their livelihood and pay for that time/labor to do so and hide that photo behind a password protected portion of their company owned website which makes that photo not public domain give due credit for the fact of where you got it from because if that is the case then it has indeed been lifted. If they gave you permission prior to your posting the photo and sent or gave direct access to you then I heartily apologize for the lifted comment. Same as research. I have no problem with you using any information that you may want from me here or on your own site but once in a while it would be nice to have the person passing it along give that person the credit they deserve as they spent the time and effort to research their facts rather than make it appear as though it is yours or just magically appeared out of thin air. When you know whom the source is show them the respect for their hard work. For images many people here make posts with images from HA all the time, others with images from PM, EMP and others. More often than not they give credit to the owner of the pic or information.

As to how you got your PM images, I more than likely know how. I also more than likely know how you got the large non watermarked images from HA. The fact that you can do it does not make it right. So again stop being a lawyer and be a human being and respect peoples hard work and effort by getting their permission first or at least acknowledging the source. I feel the same about others that do the same. That is my point here and the last thing I will say about this.

Mike, many of us have tried to help him but unfortunately to no avail.

On the Clint Eastwood forum(on which I don't post anymore). Any photo taken from any source(apart from your own) must have a link to the source or if you can't post a link, acknowledgement of the source must be given.

That's the way it should be in my opinion, but you don't necessarily have to type the source etc if the image you have linked to actually links to the source's website.
What gets up a lot of people's noses is when someone simply adds the image to their own website or online image folder, making it look like their own poster or image, and not crediting the source and even photoshopping out watermarks for their own benefit.

That would be "fair use" Mike not "fare use." Not only have you misspelled it, you have no clue what it means. "Fair use" allows anyone to post an image of a copyrighted image for limited non-profit purposes. It does not apply to public domain works, which can be used by anyone for any purpose, including selling such works for profit, for example selling reprints.

Typical; Mike made a spelling mistake which he is attacked for and then told he doesn't understand the term "fair use".
I can't speak for Mike, but I am pretty sure he understands what it means.

The point Mike makes is that this guy implies the images he posts actually belong to him, when almost all of them do not.
Did he take the time to photograph all those posters? Of course not, because if he did he would understand what goes into preparing photographs for show.
Mike also states that this guy should credit the sources of his images - many of us have told him this would be of benefit, but again it unfortunately falls on deaf ears.

Aside from legalities, you're focusing on "protecting" those who deserve no protection. Think about it. The studio (the copyright owner) spends hundreds of thousands of dollars developing an advertising campaign, including movie posters. The artist and/or advertising agency spends hundreds or perhaps thousands of hours actually creating the poster. The studio appropriately deserves copyright protection for a period of time for those posters. The artists/creative agency deserve artistic credit.  Nevertheless, at a certain point those artistic works appropriately fall into the public domain and can be used by anyone for any purpose.

By contrast it takes two minutes to take a picture of a movie poster and post it on the Internet. That is not "hard work" by any stretch of the imagination. Furthermore, the photographer is doing NOTHING original, creative, or noteworthy by taking a picture of SOMEONE ELSE'S CREATIVE WORK. To suggest that the photographer has any legal or protected right in such a picture is absurd.  The US and UK courts have rejected such a frivolous argument. See Bridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp., 36 F. Supp. 2d 191 (S.D.N.Y. 1999).

A few of my friends are professional photographers, so for him to say a photographer is doing nothing original, creative or noteworthy and that they deserve no protection IS absurd.

So is he trying to tell all the major auction houses and businesses that their photography is not copyrighted? Please.
What he doesn't understand is that when a photographer takes an image of a poster, piece of artwork or a sculpture etc, the actual artwork remains the copyright of its owner (the artist, designer or studio etc) whilst the image remains the copyright of the photographer unless the copyright is passed onto someone else. It's the same when a photographer snaps a model. They don't own the model, but they own the image.

Public domain work can be used by anyone for any reason. That's a given, which is why we have royalty free images and the like.
But if any work (in this case images) has been altered in anyway at all, then it constitutes creative work so whatever it is... it is copyrighted.

Anyone who knows a little about photography and copyright should know that amongst other things any photograph taken, any doodle on paper, anything created by a person (apart from an idea for instance) is immediately protected under copyright law.

This guy claims it takes two minutes to take a picture of a movie poster and post it on the internet.
OK, if you already have the poster on the wall like he does or it just happens to be lying around and you already have your camera in your hand, ready to take the photo with all the settings correct (including a camera phone), and the camera linked to the computer (or to the internet on your phone) and you do no work to the image after taking the photo and upload it direct to the website or online database as is... then possibly, yeah, it would take about 2 minutes or even less if you were quick. Heck, I could pick up my phone right now and take a picture and upload it to Facebook without doing anything to the image in less than 30 seconds.

He just doesn't understand what goes into photography at all otherwise he wouldn't have made that comment.

The link this guy provided RE the court case was a US case, not a UK case, and what he states about it is funny as he has missed out a very important part in regards to UK law (shooting himself in the foot and bearing in mind he has no experience in the copyright field whereas the person in the article does).

See the below quote from the article:

The significance of the case and the doubts that it raised prompted the private Museums Copyright Group in the U.K. to commission an in-depth report on the case and to seek the opinion of Jonathan Rayner James, Q.C., a barrister who specialized in U.K. copyright law and a co-author of Copinger and Skone James on copyright.

Rayner James' opinion, as reported by the group in a press release, was:
[A]s a matter of principle, a photograph of an artistic work can qualify for copyright protection in English law, and that is irrespective of whether [...] the subject of the photographs is more obviously a three dimensional work, such as a sculpture, or is perceived as a two dimensional artistic work, such as a drawing or painting [...]

—Jonathan Rayner James, Press release by Museums Copyright Group (elisions as made by the Museums Copyright Group)

It is, similarly, arguable under U.K. law that the photography of such works, by dint of the lighting and other techniques involved in producing a photograph that renders the work to best photographic effect (possibly better than what would be visible to a person viewing the original painting on display in the relevant museum), would constitute originality, per Liddie, and not merely a "slavish copy".

So there it is in black and white, or blue and white lol, from a QC with vast experience and knowledge in copyright law.

Now I must state for the record, I have not attacked anyone in this post.
I have merely answered some remarks and replied to some inaccurate comments.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 11:13:04 AM »
Bond posters, I am posting this prior to reading your comment but thank you for your backup on this.

I admit I said I was done commenting on this but I feel the urge.

First of all, MY GOD, I HAD AN AUTO CORRECT TYPO!!!!!!!! THE HORROR!!!!!! I MUST BE AN IDIOT!!!!!! I MUST NOT KNOW OR UNDERSTAND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!!! For those of you who are horribly offended or injured by my typo or completely lost all idea of what was being stated or commented on due to said typo and could not draw your own conclusion that said typo was indeed a typo I extend my most heartfelt apology. Even if it wasn't a typo I don't remember ever claiming I was an English professor. Mel do you actually need to be that kind of an: insert your favorite expletive here? You truly are a prime example of why lawyers have the reputation they do here in the US. You actually I think have a real future not just as a lawyer but a politician too!

First, those images do take time to layout and take as Charlie mentioned. Expense is also spent to create the areas to take said pictures, labor is spent to pay the employees to layout and take said pictures, edit them for web use and post to their sites just for starters. More importantly though you seem to have missed the point and APPARENTLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND the real and point of this so here are two questions. First start with simple YES or NO answers please before you try and justify yourself if you don’t mind.

1. Did you or did you not access through means other than those intended by the website owners and or developers copy an image and or images from a password protected portion of a legal business or corporations website(s) without prior permission and re-post said images claiming FAIR use and or circumnavigate a websites efforts to display images with a watermark prominently displayed and added during the proper server call made at said site(s) through a URL exploit allowing the same said image(s) to be displayed in full without said intended watermark for the purpose of downloading and or redisplaying same said image(s)?

This actually is a crime and there is case law to back it up. Am I going to go nuts searching for it to quote it to you and try to make it sound even more important? No, don't have the time and apparently since you can't just stop being a lawyer and again be a human being you are not worth it.  I make my living building websites, not half assed little baby sites but large corporate and business sites where these little security issues which is how I know where and how to get these images you use come from and how you circumnavigated security to get those images came from. Sorry, is that legal to do to under fare use? See how it is spelled again? Just for fun this time, sorry to those offended or mentally damaged by this intentional spelling error. It is also how I know that the business owners of these sites do have a case if they so chose to make it and a reasonable expectation of privacy because I have been through it with the copyright lawyers before to help make sure my clients are protected. They do not need to watermark an image that is held behind protected areas of their sites because of an implied and or apparent expectation of security and privacy in these cases. They also have a claim when said images are displayed through proper means with said watermark that the image will not be copied or redisplayed without said watermark even if an exploit known or unknown publicly allows the opportunity to download the image without the intended watermark. Yes there is room to play with culpability here depending on if the owners know about the exploit, length of time known, etc. But really? Is that needed? Because these exploits in the websites in question exists does not give you free range because you know a simple old school hack to get around code that was poorly written by their developer to get at those images? Would it be legal for me to use an exploit to hack into the obamacare website and just copy everyone’s personal information and use it at will? I do not expect that they, the image owners in these cases, will file suit and do not even know if they care or not though in some cases I think they just might.

2. Have you or have you not on this site and others including your own used the published research and information of others without crediting said sources?

Where do I even begin. First SCREW THE LAW, if you did the research especially if it is published in a book, magazine or website credit should be given out of simple human decency and respect for the time and effort made to do that research. Heck didn’t they teach you when doing research papers in school to quote your sources or did they leave that part out? If I were to directly quote information from your site and or use an image from your site and it was actually yours and you did the research then I feel 100% that I should as a human being acknowledge your time and effort to better this hobby with at least a simple comment “Hey guys I got this from ….. If I do not know the original source of the information that does make it difficult at times but at least I can say it came from this site especially when quoting it for education to allow the users to continue and or do their own research and form their own conclusions based on those sources. Do I care if once in a while it was forgotten to add the credit? Heck no, we are all human write. <--- see another misuse of similar words here but I bet those that have read this far got the meaning anyway. I know I have done it form time to time, I am again human, but I do try to do so at all times. But then again that is taking an image or research that is not hidden in a protected area of someone’s website. If it were in a protected area with these weird login things required to reach it through the intended paths then NO it should not be copied and reposted AT ALL without permission.

Does this all of this make you a criminal? I am not a lawyer or law enforcement representative to make that judgement and frankly do not really care. Does it make you just a little less of a person especially that you are fighting so hard to not give people credit for their efforts using the law in this manner to justify it? In my eyes Yes.

And that is my last comment on it. You have fun quoting case law now.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:45:59 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Bruce

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 11:38:07 AM »
"You truly are a prime example of why Layers have the reputation they do here in the US"

I believe Mel is a "lawyer". I suppose he may also be a "layer", but he likely doesn't want to go into that here!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »
Oops, thanks for pointing that one out Bruce, another typo (corrected) which means I must not understand what a lawyer is either.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 11:49:02 AM »
Should I remind you guys that this forum is ran by a frog?  So really, typos?

Aside from that and the name calling, very informative discussion.  Carry on.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 12:00:51 PM »
Should I remind you guys that this forum is ran by a frog?  So really, typos?

T

I don;t care what anyone says, now that's funny!  ;D
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 12:12:11 PM »
If you're not a lawyer, then trying to not defend your case against one is probably not the wisest  move.  I'm sure that Mel has his reasons for not posting the information of the image locations, and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about regarding why he doesn't have to post that info.  What about the artists, the campaign employees, etc.?  It's a slippery slope if you really want to give credit to every person who was responsible for this stuff.  Anyway, this art was meant to be shared with the public.

Bond posters, I am posting this prior to reading your comment but thank you for your backup on this.

I admit I said I was done commenting on this but I feel the urge.

First of all, MY GOD, I HAD AN AUTO CORRECT TYPO!!!!!!!! THE HORROR!!!!!! I MUST BE AN IDIOT!!!!!! I MUST NOT KNOW OR UNDERSTAND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!!! For those of you who are horribly offended or injured by my typo or completely lost all idea of what was being stated or commented on due to said typo and could not draw your own conclusion that said typo was indeed a typo I extend my most heartfelt apology. Even if it wasn't a typo I don't remember ever claiming I was an English professor. Mel do you actually need to be that kind of an: insert your favorite expletive here? You truly are a prime example of why lawyers have the reputation they do here in the US. You actually I think have a real future not just as a lawyer but a politician too!

First, those images do take time to layout and take as Charlie mentioned. Expense is also spent to create the areas to take said pictures, labor is spent to pay the employees to layout and take said pictures, edit them for web use and post to their sites just for starters. More importantly though you seem to have missed the point and APPARENTLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND the real and point of this so here are two questions. First start with simple YES or NO answers please before you try and justify yourself if you don’t mind.

1. Did you or did you not access through means other than those intended by the website owners and or developers copy an image and or images from a password protected portion of a legal business or corporations website(s) without prior permission and re-post said images claiming FAIR use and or circumnavigate a websites efforts to display images with a watermark prominently displayed and added during the proper server call made at said site(s) through a URL exploit allowing the same said image(s) to be displayed in full without said intended watermark for the purpose of downloading and or redisplaying same said image(s)?

This actually is a crime and there is case law to back it up. Am I going to go nuts searching for it to quote it to you and try to make it sound even more important?
No, don't have the time and apparently since you can't just stop being a lawyer and again be a human being you are not worth it.  I make my living building websites, not half assed little baby sites but large corporate and business sites where these little security issues which is how I know where and how to get these images you use come from and how you circumnavigated security to get those images came from. Sorry, is that legal to do to under fare use? See how it is spelled again? Just for fun this time, sorry to those offended or mentally damaged by this intentional spelling error. It is also how I know that the business owners of these sites do have a case if they so chose to make it and a reasonable expectation of privacy because I have been through it with the copyright lawyers before to help make sure my clients are protected. They do not need to watermark an image that is held behind protected areas of their sites because of an implied and or apparent expectation of security and privacy in these cases. They also have a claim when said images are displayed through proper means with said watermark that the image will not be copied or redisplayed without said watermark even if an exploit known or unknown publicly allows the opportunity to download the image without the intended watermark. Yes there is room to play with culpability here depending on if the owners know about the exploit, length of time known, etc. But really? Is that needed? Because these exploits in the websites in question exists does not give you free range because you know a simple old school hack to get around code that was poorly written by their developer to get at those images? Would it be legal for me to use an exploit to hack into the obamacare website and just copy everyone’s personal information and use it at will? I do not expect that they, the image owners in these cases, will file suit and do not even know if they care or not though in some cases I think they just might.

2. Have you or have you not on this site and others including your own used the published research and information of others without crediting said sources?

Where do I even begin. First SCREW THE LAW, if you did the research especially if it is published in a book, magazine or website credit should be given out of simple human decency and respect for the time and effort made to do that research. Heck didn’t they teach you when doing research papers in school to quote your sources or did they leave that part out? If I were to directly quote information from your site and or use an image from your site and it was actually yours and you did the research then I feel 100% that I should as a human being acknowledge your time and effort to better this hobby with at least a simple comment “Hey guys I got this from ….. If I do not know the original source of the information that does make it difficult at times but at least I can say it came from this site especially when quoting it for education to allow the users to continue and or do their own research and form their own conclusions based on those sources. Do I care if once in a while it was forgotten to add the credit? Heck no, we are all human write. <--- see another misuse of similar words here but I bet those that have read this far got the meaning anyway. I know I have done it form time to time, I am again human, but I do try to do so at all times. But then again that is taking an image or research that is not hidden in a protected area of someone’s website. If it were in a protected area with these weird login things required to reach it through the intended paths then NO it should not be copied and reposted AT ALL without permission.

Does this all of this make you a criminal? I am not a lawyer or law enforcement representative to make that judgement and frankly do not really care. Does it make you just a little less of a person especially that you are fighting so hard to not give people credit for their efforts using the law in this manner to justify it? In my eyes Yes.

And that is my last comment on it. You have fun quoting case law now.

Ain't nobody got time for dat!  :P

Should I remind you guys that this forum is ran run by a frog?  So really, typos?

T

Fixed that for you.  8)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 12:18:34 PM »
Didn't want to fill up space by quoting your entire message.

What you wrote - VERY well said.
Looking forward to seeing what he replies to you with  pcorn

Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »
Fixed that for you.  8)
[/quote]

Did you even understand what I was trying to say?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
If you're not a lawyer, then trying to not defend your case against one is probably not the wisest  move.  I'm sure that Mel has his reasons for not posting the information of the image locations, and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about regarding why he doesn't have to post that info.  What about the artists, the campaign employees, etc.?  It's a slippery slope if you really want to give credit to every person who was responsible for this stuff.  Anyway, this art was meant to be shared with the public.

You are right some arguments are not worth arguing or difficult to win but the simplest explanation of what the real complaint here or root cause of it is that the images in question are hidden behind an, admittedly not the best coded (no offense the the developer that wrote it), secure portion of a website and are being downloaded and used without permission. If they were in public view I would have like as I normally do kept my mouth shut. You are also correct it is really hard if not impossible to credit everyone but it is very easy when you already know.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:35:32 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »
Fixed that for you.  8)

Did you even understand what I was trying to say?

Yeah, I was just goofin' with correcting the tense of the verb "run."  No big deal.  A little grammatical error, it happens to everyone.  I actually just noticed a little error in my own comment.  I meant to say: trying to defend your case against one (a lawyer) is probably not the wisest move; it's kinda like an average guy getting into the ring with a professional like Mike Tyson.

If you're not a lawyer, then trying to not defend your case against one is probably not the wisest  move.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
You are right some arguments are not worth arguing or difficult to win but the simplest explanation of what the real complaint here or root cause of it is that the images in question are hidden behind an, admittedly not the best coded (no offense the the developer that wrote it), secure portion of a website and are being downloaded and used without permission. If they were in public view I would have like as I normally do kept my mouth shut. You are also correct it is really hard if not impossible to credit everyone but it is very easy when you already know.

I understand your stance on the issue.  In a lot of cases regarding photos of posters, it seems like more of a personal morality issue whether to include a citation such as "this image is from ____."  I appreciate that some people choose to use citations, however, I also see that if it's not legally necessary, then some people choose to not include such info., whatever their reasoning may be.  

cheers
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:56:04 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 01:55:40 PM »
Hey just cause you passed the bar exam doesn't make you a good lawyer.  Well maybe good at endlessly arguing a point.

And shouldn't some photographic credit be given to the restorer who actually did work on the Frankenstein (or any other poster)?  Would that not be a creative interest in that it is the restoration work that is being presented in the photo and not only the artistic work from 60 years ago?  ;)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
If you're not a lawyer, then trying to not defend your case against one is probably not the wisest  move. I'm sure that Mel has his reasons for not posting the information of the image locations, and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about regarding why he doesn't have to post that info.  What about the artists, the campaign employees, etc.?  It's a slippery slope if you really want to give credit to every person who was responsible for this stuff.  Anyway, this art was meant to be shared with the public.

It boils down to the fact that the Poster Mountain image database is NOT accessible to either the public, (and no longer) to anyone who may have created an account and password there, in the past.

I wanted the several large image files from PM, of posters of mine they had worked on. When i went to log into the database area with my user name and password, it failed. I called PM and they told me this area of their site was no longer available for individuals to view and they had to email me a temporary password so I could see (and then download) my own images from their database.

And the password ONLY worked for the links to my images. it did not give me free reign to scour their database, either.

Mike's (Undead's) basic argument had nothing to to with artists' original works, copyright, "ease or quickness" of photography, fair/fare use (dam, there's that typo again!) etc.

The images were not obtained from a publicly accessible part of the Poster Mountain website. Did John Davis give permission (or the method) to go into their image database so that their images could be viewed and downloaded?  Maybe, but I doubt it.

If one figures out and "goes" into a company's private & secure database and takes images (or any data for that matter) without permission, I hardly think one will advertise that, will one?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:14:55 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
If one figures out and "goes" into a company's private & secure database and takes images (or any data for that matter) without permission, I hardly think one will advertise that, will one?

Isn't that considered 'hacking?'

Charlie

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
Perhaps Mel saved it before they shut it down...  Lawyers can't hack.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »
Perhaps Mel saved it before they shut it down...  Lawyers can't hack.

Well they can - they just can't admit to it publically (especially a government employed one)
Chris

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »
Before anyone mentions yes I apparently did decide to keep commenting.

And that is my last comment on it.

Isn't that considered 'hacking?'

Technically yes even though it is a simple exploit where anyone with basic knowledge or experimentation could find it.

Perhaps Mel saved it before they shut it down...  Lawyers can't hack.

The large format images were never made available to the public in 99% of cases and even if you had database access prior to the lockdown where nobody had access you only had access to the posters you had them restore for you. The recent posts for example the King Kong RR six sheet being restored are recent works within the last few months and were never made available to anyone in the large format version. Only a thumbnail size view as in the example linked from the Poster Mountain website below. You could only get to the large version if you are granted special access or you use an admittedly simple URL exploit.

This is the largest image PM has publicly released for this poster linked directly from their websites publicly visible side.

Larger version downloaded and posted by Mel linked from his website not Poster Mountains site.
The image location as you can see is clearly coming from Mels Poster Nirvana site. http://www.posternirvana.com/0DNE2/2013-11/King%20Kong%20%281933%20US%206S%29%202.jpg

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:05:42 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2013, 03:20:27 PM »
Boys, your faux-enlightened legal analysis and complaints are simultaneously amusing and tiresome.  You've gone on and on about various subjects but we're only talking about photographs of movie posters.  For legal purposes, they are considered "slavish" copies of pre-existing creative works and do not enjoy any independent copyright protection.  The plaintiff in Bridgeman made the same losing arguments you're making.

Mike, who are you anyway? Wow, you are a tiresome troll. Have you ever contributed anything to this forum or do you just come here to launch "digital piracy" crusades?

And of course the legal “help” from Adam is hilarious. This is the guy whose “nonprofit” website (BondPosters.com) is infested with advertising and promotes gambling websites. (The front page states: “We recommend visiting SpinPalace.co.uk whose poker games should help brush up your casino knowledge to hopefully defeat the budding Goldfinger's and Le Chiffre's of today.”) I can't imagine that Danjaq LLC – the copyright owner of all James Bond posters – would knowingly tolerate that abuse of its intellectual property.

But notwithstanding the foregoing please feel free to complain to Heritage and/or Poster Mountain that I am "stealing" from them and/or being un“fare” by posting some of their digital reproduction images on this forum to amuse and entertain my fellow poster nerds. That is a terrible crime indeed.  Or perhaps not.  Of course, aside from the ridiculousness of such complaints, I should mention that I have paid Heritage and its consignors $14,912 and Poster Mountain more than $1,000 for their wares and services, so your complaints may fall on deaf ears. Too bad, so sad.

guest8

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »
I love it when you guys get Mel all riled up! :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »
I love it when you guys get Mel all riled up! :)

It's one of the highlights of APF certainly
Chris