Author Topic: Dealers/sellers---what are the trends now, what will the trends be?  (Read 6319 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Dealers/sellers---what are the trends now, what will the trends be?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »
Cheers mate,another nugget.
But as far as 80`s era posters,have you noticed any increase in overall prices?

yes the prices are obviously increasing.. but it isn't a bubble as it's still almost all affordable
a bubble happens when only the small number of buyers at the top are the only ones who can afford the material. that is definitely not the situation. a poster that was $5 2 years ago and $30 today isn't a bubble.. (and you can extrapolate that math to any price scale)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 03:37:40 PM »
The legendary collector, Richard Allen (who is now 90 years young!), made the "Rule of 30" in the 1980s, which is that it takes 30 years for posters to become hot collectibles (primarily because those who watched those movies as kids or teens now have discretionary income to buy them with, plus they are reaching the age where they are nostalgic about their lost youth, and they can re-capture some of that by buying these paper "memories".

It is proving itself true once again, just as it did in the 1990s and 2000s.

Bruce

But there also needs to be a corollary to that rule that when those same folks start dying off 30 years later, the market crashes.  Obviously, there are exceptions for the very best, but a lot of '40s and even '50s material is really dropping in price now.

Agreed that the Universal horror is never going to take a big hit, nor is the best of the monster stuff of the '50s, but I am seeing it in secondary titles, especially comedies and musicals.  Singin in the Rain still goes for bucks, but the secondary titles like Small Town Girl, Damn Yankees or The Harvey Girls have become scrap paper.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »
if my Raymond Chandler collection is worth $1 per item in 30 years, I won't care. I don't buy them as investments

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »
Guys, every time you post am image in the additions thread (as Ted even mentioned), guess what...folks who don't have it and who like it have just added it to their list if not have already started the hunt already (or even purchased the same poster). Again, this discussion and similar ones do not out any poster/poster niche collection/trend, etc...more than the fact that this forum exists.

Maybe I should start a thread called 'Post your daily watch list additions for all auction sites!" and then we could really get crabby. :)

I guess I am mainly wondering about the cause/effect aspect of the current trends, should have pointed that out a bit more succinctly.

For example, I think 80s are booming because my generation now has money and wants to relive their childhood via home decor or simply collecting
movie paper from that era.

Back to the plaster repair and painting...been such a drag of a weekend, no end in sight...

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:53:47 PM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 03:57:45 PM »
For example, I think 80s are booming because my generation now has money and wants to relive their childhood via home decor or simply collecting
movie paper from that era.

Exactly.
It's not happening because six guys on a poster forum decide to run up all the prices on something after seeing an item posted here.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
Exactly.
It's not happening because six guys on a poster forum decide to run up all the prices on something after seeing an item posted here.

I think Jay's right about the best of the best really maintaining over the course of time, as evidenced by Bruce's Frankie one sheet story.

Never underestimate the power of how quickly word spreads through the internet, especially with stuff that a lot of people consider very cool.  6 people posting could, in time, result in exponentially more hunting for that stuff.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:31 PM »
I don't think it's only 80s posters that are up. 

Everything is up.

I did a quick math, today.  Bruce was selling mostly 90s and 00s gear.  Out of his 800 posters, I already owned 335.  Now, these are not posters I value.  I keep adding them to my collection because I buy them for cheap or get them for free.  Well, my 335 posters made $8,354 at Bruce's tonight.  While it is not a huge number, I find it interesting since I probably didn't spend more than $1.5k on these posters.  Also, a lot of the posters Bruce was selling were not in mint condition.  99% of mine are.  So I can only assume my number would have gone higher.

In short, I don't know about trends specifically, but I know people are buying.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »
time slowly filters values and items that might be hot for a while are put to the test of time, like the actual movie.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

ozcinemagic

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 08:01:02 PM »
I think you'll soon see some better material being offered in the big auctions. I suspect many sellers have been holding off in anticipation of the market picking up. Supply and demand will drive the prices higher as more buyers return.
Looking at it, the depressed market stretches back to early 2009. Three years is a long time for people not spending.
Bring on the strengthening U.S. economy, I say. I love it!  :D

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »
Already stated and right on the money, the folks that were born late 60's to mid-70's are hitting prime earning years and MOST collectors buy to what they relate to from their childhood/teen years and that is what is driving 80's everything right now.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
Pre-Falkland War?

Sean, it's Malvinas war...  ;)

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »