Author Topic: Dealers/sellers---what are the trends now, what will the trends be?  (Read 6255 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
What do you guys (particularly the dealers and sellers) think the main sales trends are in terms of genre, era, specific items, etc...in regards to results and/or demand? Also, what is looking to be the near and long term future of decided points of interest from the end of the buyers?

Seems like with each sale, 80s posters are just getting ridiculous money right now. I started collecting casually over 10 years ago, and it wasn't too hard to find stuff from this era for decent prices. Since joining the MPF about 5 years or so ago, things started to go up and at this point, you have to fight tooth and nail to secure the 80s stuff of choice...just look at what Bruce is getting these days in this decade.

Do we blame Rich for his Ferris International OS for lighting this decade on fire in terms of demand?
Should I send Bruce a bunch of Indy Jones and the Last Crusade paper if he can get over $114 a pop on them?

80s are just an example obviously, just curious about what you guys think are getting harder and harder to acquire now, or what is costing you more money than you expected.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Dealers/sellers---what are the trends now, what will the trends be?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
I hate these questions as they push prices up when someone commits to something....

But from a U.K. Point of view, anything pre-war is most definitely ridiculous money right now.... ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »
I hate these questions as they push prices up when someone commits to something....

Ditto.
Speculation tends to ruin hobbies.
Dealers and consignors win; collectors pay.
But, I guess that is the way of the world.

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »
I blame it all on Rich. Light the torches!

Bruce
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:36:10 PM by Bruce »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »
Man thats a big Pic...

And now Bruce has edited it, it's not such a big pic...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:44:31 PM by paul waines »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »

But from a U.K. Point of view, anything pre-war is most definitely ridiculous money right now.... ;D

Pre-Falkland War?

I fail to see how answering this question pushes prices up.
Are you saying that if I report a growing interest in Kevin Bacon posters that prices will explode in the coming months?
Dealers will raise their prices 100-200% upon reading this comment and you will be tempted to bid hundreds more now because you know Bacon is hot?
I highly doubt it.
More  likely is that people who have been bidding higher in certain areas lately continue to do those things and your comments don't affect their actions at all, but merely make it that more people notice their actions.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »
We had a saying over here, "loose lips sink ships". You may have deep pockets, so don't need to watch prices so much. If your on a budget you tend to be more thrifty, and know what will cost you more in the long run.  Lots of people look at forums, who aren't members, but they still buy posters. So Yes these places can influence people...

E.G. look what happened to the Nightmare on elm st Quads...    Also Stew was asking if a poster was the right price, foolishly on the board, and moments later, someone bought it from under him. Coincidence, I don't think so...

If you think places like this forum don't influence anything, your very naive sir.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »
We had a saying over here, "loose lips sink ships".

Didn't you guys also say "Keep Calm and Carry On"?

To be honest, how does a question that I pose here such as trends influence prices any more or any less then any thread in this entire forum?

If the 80s is a trend, well...being a trend, the secret is out so who cares. Also, not everyone might collect any given trend.

I could also make the argument that highlighting a trend could even scare people off that path...

At this point, lets just close the APF up...otherwise random folks might discover the world of posters and screw us all over. :)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 01:59:20 PM »
We did keep clam and carry on, just with our lips sealed.... ;)

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
The legendary collector, Richard Allen (who is now 90 years young!), made the "Rule of 30" in the 1980s, which is that it takes 30 years for posters to become hot collectibles (primarily because those who watched those movies as kids or teens now have discretionary income to buy them with, plus they are reaching the age where they are nostalgic about their lost youth, and they can re-capture some of that by buying these paper "memories".

It is proving itself true once again, just as it did in the 1990s and 2000s.

Bruce

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »
We had a saying over here, "loose lips sink ships". You may have deep pockets, so don't need to watch prices so much. If your on a budget you tend to be more thrifty, and know what will cost you more in the long run.  Lots of people look at forums, who aren't members, but they still buy posters. So Yes these places can influence people...

E.G. look what happened to the Nightmare on elm st Quads...    Also Stew was asking if a poster was the right price, foolishly on the board, and moments later, someone bought it from under him. Coincidence, I don't think so...

If you think places like this forum don't influence anything, your very naive sir.
Its true,,I learned my lesson the hard way.
Maybe because of the vast number of 1 sheets out there,discussing them here may not have any noticeable difference,but I do believe as far as Quads go,when people post here the prices elsewhere do adjust up the way..

Stew

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »
I changed my mind. Blame it all on APF!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »
your very naive sir.
Quick Paul!! change this or your gonna incur the wrath of Headmaster Rich.  ;D

Stew

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
To be honest, how does a question that I pose here such as trends influence prices any more or any less then any thread in this entire forum?

it doesn't unless people are personally frightened of something

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »
Quick Paul!! change this or your gonna incur the wrath of Headmaster Rich.  ;D

Stew

In this, and Mr. Waine's, case the correct word is "you're".

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »
I agree with the theory Bruce mentioned.  It's the law of supply and demand.  Another factor is the person or business selling the item.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »
I demand a supply

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »
Lots of good points on this subject.
I don't like discussions about trends because they do influence pricing.
However, whenever we post pics of our latest acquisitions we run the same risk.
And like Wonka said, "lets just close the APF up...otherwise random folks might discover the world of posters and screw us all over."
I guess we can't avoid the inevitable.

Bruce's point about the 80s is spot on -- we all know and recognize this trend -- but Wonka's open-ended query about "near and long term future of decided points of interest" seems akin to Pandora's Box.  I hate to see it opened prematurely.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
I agree with the theory Bruce mentioned.  It's the law of supply and demand.  Another factor is the person or business selling the item.
I`m 40 and most of the stuff I want is from the 70`s,so "Allens Law" is very correct it would seem.

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »
but Wonka's open-ended query about "near and long term future of decided points of interest" seems akin to Pandora's Box.  I hate to see it opened prematurely.

oh c'mon... this is a board for discussion. you don't have have to like what's being discussed.
Ben's questions are asked all the time by all kinds of people and the trends are obvious that modern rolled posters have finally "come into their own". More and more modern era collectors are spending more and more money to acquire what they want and one reason is that they are gainfully employed and can afford to spend the dollars. Bruce is correct that it's a 30-year cycle, and it always has been in whatever collectible field you're talking about. An open discussion is no Pandora's Box, it is educational and brings more people in. Those who can't afford to spend will just look to another area. That's the way it is and the way it always will be.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
I should add.. as a collector, I do not care what trends the prices follow.
I'll buy it if I can afford it and if it's too much - I won't.
It doesn't affect me emotionally one way or the other

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »
I should add.. as a collector, I do not care what trends the prices follow.
I'll buy it if I can afford it and if it's too much - I won't.
It doesn't affect me emotionally one way or the other
As you sagely told me before.."trends" are exactly that..at some point the bubble will burst and prices will level out again..
Its all about waiting..

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
As you sagely told me before.."trends" are exactly that..at some point the bubble will burst ..

only sometimes true. mostly is doesn't work that way

a bubble is when things increase at too fast of a pace - generally because of a small group of people forcing the pace. That's not what I see in modern posters - not even on specific rarities. The area of collecting is maturing, but it doesn't have any appearance of a bubble at this time

-------

Bruce

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »
I've been waiting 40 years for that bubble to burst on that Frankenstein one-sheet I wouldn't buy at Larry Edmund's Bookshop for $1,000 in the late 1960s.

I'm still waiting, and my $700 offer is still good!

Bruce

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 03:22:32 PM »
only sometimes true. mostly is doesn't work that way

a bubble is when things increase at too fast of a pace - generally because of a small group of people forcing the pace. That's not what I see in modern posters - not even on specific rarities. The area of collecting is maturing, but it doesn't have any appearance of a bubble at this time
Cheers mate,another nugget.
But in so far as 80`s era posters,have you noticed any increase in overall prices?

Stew
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:24:51 PM by stewart boyle »