Author Topic: UK frames?  (Read 6340 times)

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
UK frames?
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
has anyone found anywhere in the UK that has a standard frame to fit movie posters?
ideally 1 sheet or quad?  but i dont think this is likely ive been looking for years to no avail.
but maybe something for inserts, locandina, belgians, french small etc.
i have found some crappy black frames in pound shops that half sheets fit in. thats about it. i still havent got round to buying one though. they cost £10.
im going to attempt to make my own which should be interesting  ;)
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: UK frames?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 02:00:35 AM »
I get mine made at the in-shops, but Terry at Quadbod was selling some. Drop him a line he's a jollynice fellow.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:05:55 AM »
Hi, JNF Paul + teamweapon!

Thanks for the kind words ... yes, we used to sell the snapframes which are an excellent means of displaying quads without the necessity of having them permanently fixed - in other words, you can switch them over easily without damaging them.

However, simply because we don't have the vehicle space to travel these around with us, we stopped handling them a while ago.

Similar frames are available online ... here's a link to the one nearest to the design which we used to supply ...

http://www.shop.cheapsnapframes.co.uk/black-movie-poster-frame/prod_326.html

... by the way, they're slimmer in profile than they look in that image.  I think the one in the image is actually smaller than 30" x 40", hence the apparent disproportionate thickness of the surrounding frame.

Some people like 'em ... some people think they're too expensive ... some people don't like 'em ... some people think they're a bargain ... mmmm ... a bit like posters, really!

Hope that's useful!

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:19:53 AM »
I have one of those quad size snap frames and I think it's pretty decent as a cheapish solution. Although the plastic display isn't completely clear if you're right up close with your nose pressed to it, it's more than adequate from any sort of normal viewing distance and I like that you can change the poster relatively easily. I perhaps wouldn't risk putting anything of value in it (not that I have anything of value!), just in case the clips mark the poster, although it hasn't happened to me so far.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:32:37 AM »
... which reminds me, we used to supply an additional crystal clear sheet of PETg as an alternative to the matt sheet which comes as standard with the frame.  We had to purchase the PETg in bulk, so I'm not sure if it can be obtained in smaller quantities.

Best wishes,

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »
thanks for the info terry
mmm i think im still going to make my own frames for 1 sheet and quads.
well im only going to make one of each and change them quite alot.
it was more the smaller frames i was on the search for, as im sure you can pick them up somewhere, i just haven't found where yet.
it isnt worth the time to make smaller frames i dont think, but long format frames never seem to be the right size for australian daybills, inserts or locandina. or come to the matter french or belgian smalls.
i wonder why that is?
Sean

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
You're welcome!  Good luck with the project - and don't forget to let us see some photos of the results!
Whereabouts in the UK are you ... do you get to the NEC Memorabilia Fairs?

Best wishes,

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »
You're welcome!  Good luck with the project - and don't forget to let us see some photos of the results!
Whereabouts in the UK are you ... do you get to the NEC Memorabilia Fairs?

Best wishes,

Hi terry i havent been to memorabilia for quite a few years. i keep meaning to go but......... ahhh something always turns up, or im drunk?
years ago i used to own a toy shop, selling collectibles and also selling "real" toys to kids. that started in the the early 90s, i think 91 to 96. so we used to do a stall at NEC for about 5 years or so?
at that time i was wasting my money buying action figures and the like and not buying movie posters. i picked up a few here and there when they caught my eye but normally i would spend my money on plastic, BLAH! well you live and learn aye haha.
oh yeah i currently have a clothes shop in manchester, and thats making me a fairly rubbish living at the minute as well. but retail in general is SHAFTED for the foreseeable future? im just hoping me investing in rubbish poster will pay dividends hahaha, likely story  ;D

oh yeah as side note when i started to buy posters again about 18months ago, i think you were my first uk purchase? nothing special but i liked them. life force and caligula. liked the movies and posters, but more than anything they were cheap!
Sean

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I have an aussie friend living in London who told me he found cheap frames for daybills, Ill ask where he gets them.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 04:19:56 AM »
Hi terry i havent been to memorabilia for quite a few years. i keep meaning to go but......... ahhh something always turns up, or im drunk?
oh yeah as side note when i started to buy posters again about 18months ago, i think you were my first uk purchase? nothing special but i liked them. life force and caligula. liked the movies and posters, but more than anything they were cheap!
Hi, teamweapon!

I think you may been mistaking us for another dealer with those two purchases ... but , more importantly, let's get you down the NEC again  at the end of March - the next event there is on Saturday 31 March and Sunday 1 April (no fooling) - don't forget to come and say hello.  If you don't already receive our occasional fair date reminders, drop me an e-mail and we'll put you on the mailing list - that goes for other APF members, too.

Best wishes,

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »
Hi, teamweapon!

I think you may been mistaking us for another dealer with those two purchases ... but , more importantly, let's get you down the NEC again  at the end of March - the next event there is on Saturday 31 March and Sunday 1 April (no fooling) - don't forget to come and say hello.  If you don't already receive our occasional fair date reminders, drop me an e-mail and we'll put you on the mailing list - that goes for other APF members, too.

Best wishes,

REALLY???
i could have sworn i bought them off you, but i guess you would know?
if i didnt buy them off you i can't imagine who i did buy them off, as i spent long enough going through your list.
but i have a SERIOUSLY bad memory. i have terrible feeling im going to be demented as hell when im older.
mad as a fruit bat haha.

well if my work dosnt interrupt it ill try to get down. we do quite a few events on sundays such as wedding fayres and the like. and like i said my memory is hideous so i never know when im busy or not up to the last minute.
Sean