Author Topic: New Member Here - Hello!  (Read 6613 times)

Offline enki

• Collector
New Member Here - Hello!
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »
Hello Everyone!

I've been reading the forums for the past couple of weeks and just became a member today. I wanted to say 'hello' and introduce myself. My name's James and I just recently started collecting movie posters about two months ago. I had initially got 'hooked' due to being a Star Wars fan and wanting to get a poster of the Revenge of the Jedi teaser. I always thought the history behind the recalled title was pretty interesting and, after looking for something about it online and coming across the poster, really loved how it looked. So my first poster purchase was a No-Date version of the Revenge of the Jedi. After that, I was hooked. I purchased two more Star Wars posters (since I'm a fan of the original trilogy) and thought that it would be a perfect genre to focus on initially. I purchased an Empire Strikes Back GWTW 30x40 and a Star Wars Style D Rolled 1sh.

I've been spending a lot of time trying to learn as much as I can about the hobby. I've found this site to be a tremendous resource for information, and am happy to finally become a member and (hopefully) help contribute. My wife has also started looking for posters and is interested in learning about the hobby too.

Our latest two acquisitions were from one of emovieposter.com's latest auctions. We got the '64 Sword in the Stone 1sh and the Ghostbusters Teaser posters. So outside of Star Wars posters, we're also interested in collecting cool posters from movies we really liked or remember from growing up. Eventually we'll probably get into others, but we figured we would start with what we know and like.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

Thanks again to everyone for providing a great resource of information to new collectors!

-James

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: New Member Here - Hello!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
 welcome1 to APF, James.
Nice posters to start a collection with...even more awesome is that your wife has interest also.
You two will soon be addicted to the greatest hobby there is.
Correction: as APF-member Paul Waines says, "It's more than a hobby."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:43:06 AM by brude »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »
Hi James, and nice to have you.  Sounds like you're off to a good start, and you have good goals (in my humble opinion) - buy what you like.  You've found a great resource in APF, and I'm pleased that you got hear early in your collecting.

There's at least one thread on APF devoted to Star Wars.  

There are some excellent folks who sell and who post here regularly.  I will single out Bruce at emovieposter.com and Rich at movieposterbid.com as two very competent dealers that will never steer you wrong in the early stages of collecting.  Of course, there are a number of individuals who from time to time sell.  Stick around, pay attention, and you'll get to know everyone.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:40:26 AM »
Hi James, welcome! :) I love that Revenge of the Jedi poster too and agree, it's a great story. Star Wars posters can be pretty addictive! Even though I think the film is pretty rubbish, I recently bought Matt Busch's Revenge of the Sith style D to go with my Star Wars Style D as I think it's a fun poster

http://mattbuschstore.com/products-page/posters/revenge-of-the-sith-style-d-one-sheet/

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:42:18 AM »
Welcome James.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
Welcome James.

Star Wars collecting is a lot of fun.  I'd probably get more into it if I wasn't freaked out by the zillions of reprints floating around on Ebay.  Everybody has a theory, everybody has a story.

You seem to go for the 80s.  It's a fun decade to collect.  Enjoy the hobby... and watch your wallet.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 11:14:05 AM »
...  watch your wallet.

Thierry

I wish someone would have told me that back in the day !!

Welcome James! :)

DreamWarrior

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
Welcome James! cheers

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »
Hello new member. Welcome to the show that never ends.

welcome1 James.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:09:42 PM by Zorba »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 01:28:32 PM »
Welcome to the community James.
It' s great to have you here,there are many invaluable experts as members at APF who are a fountain of knowledge.

Stew

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »
Hello, James. Hope you enjoy your time here on the APF and post frequently.

Good luck in reaching your paper goals.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 01:45:36 PM »
Welcome James...look forward to seeing your collection (expand)

cheers
David

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
Welcome James, and what a great start you've got to your collection already. There was no inter-web when I first started collecting so I was buying all kinds of rubbish, Get Carter, Goldfinger, Girl on a Motorcycle, but I now know better. I'm buying mondo prints.....

Sorry skit doesn't type so good.... ;)

Enjoy the forum there's some very tuned in people on here.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »
Hello James - have fun!
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 02:05:47 PM »
James need to learn about Dale Dilts!

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 02:41:52 PM »
Welcome James. have fun in our little La-La Land.

be sure to check out the weekly auctions at www.movieposterbid.com

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »
David

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 04:19:59 PM »
...we're also interested in collecting cool posters from movies we really liked or remember from growing up. Eventually we'll probably get into others, but we figured we would start with what we know and like.

...like 95%+ of the collectors in this hobby.

By the way, if you haven't already, check out Ari's NSFGE (www.stylec.yuku.com/) and its archives for a wealth of information among the rigamorale. 

The ads go away if you sign up for an account.  Eric (Magnum55) and Jeff (JRosen on an increasingly rare occasion) are the resident Star Wars experts.  Heck, Phil (NSFGE co-founder) attended the Star Wars (as well as Blade Runner) cast & crew screening and has had a number of good stories to tell...

The Revenge of the Jedi, in the pre-internet days, was my original holy grail.  I'm in the minority in that I prefer the history of the dated version over the natural aesthetics of the no date version, but, really, it's all about the awesome image and the wrong colored lightsabres, so there's no going wrong... :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 04:59:23 PM »
The Revenge of the Jedi, in the pre-internet days, was my original holy grail.  I'm in the minority in that I prefer the history of the dated version over the natural aesthetics of the no date version, but, really, it's all about the awesome image and the wrong colored lightsabres, so there's no going wrong... :)

Unless it's a fake! ;)
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 05:58:47 PM »
Even original Revenge's aren't too hard to find, they seem to drop from all over the place lately.

Has Bruce had an unfolded 27x41 auction without one in the past couple years?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 11:00:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Even original Revenge's aren't too hard to find, they seem to drop from all over the place lately.

Has Bruce had an unfolded 27x41 auction without one in the past couple years?

There is currently an unfolded no-date revenge up for auction on emovieposter.com ending this Sunday. Only at $410 right now, but I assume it will go much higher.

ozcinemagic

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 12:20:26 AM »
Some "currently hot" daybills for ya, James.

If you can get hold of The Star Wars Poster Book by Sansweet & Vilmur 2005. You could spend a longgggg time collecting them all.  :D

Mark

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 12:30:15 AM »
Some "currently hot" daybills for ya, James.

If you can get hold of The Star Wars Poster Book by Sansweet & Vilmur 2005. You could spend a longgggg time collecting them all.  :D

Mark

Thanks! Yeah, I was actually JUST looking for the book on Amazon. They have used copies for ~$40+. I'll probably pick up a copy this weekend.

ozcinemagic

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 12:37:53 AM »
Be $40 well spent if you're a SW fan. There's some fantastic posters from all over the world. Really striking art from Russia and Poland etc. Also a lot of promotional and commercial posters. SW is a lot bigger than just theatre issue!!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 03:23:54 AM »
Welcome, and glad to hear you are buying posters for films you like. Have fun.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!