Author Topic: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix  (Read 93594 times)

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
Re: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2018, 08:11:28 PM »
Since this one had almost no damage it doesn't look too bad. Except for the rip he "fixes" with color pencil that doesn't exactly match. Also notice he doesn't have a close up shot of the fixed tear. Oh, and look! The comments are turned on again!  moron1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #251 on: August 27, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
Since this one had almost no damage it doesn't look too bad. Except for the rip he "fixes" with color pencil that doesn't exactly match. Also notice he doesn't have a close up shot of the fixed tear. Oh, and look! The comments are turned on again!  moron1

I noticed that, too.

But if you look at the 2nd copy of JAIL HOUSE ROCK, once its backed and out in the hall, on the frame, you can easily see a large quarter size area of paper loss in the face (near her) eye. of the actress, that wasnt there when he first roughly unfolded it.

I guess that extra, unimportant "scrap" just ended up in the trash.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2018, 07:14:49 PM »
Yet more rough manhandling of a poster that causes a tiny fold split at the top, near the letter T of the title, to tear even more. As well as damage done to the lower left corner of the poster, while "pasting it up."

Then the retouching @ 4;53, to the increased tear that he caused. And the split wasnt even placed totally back together.

He handles this (and so many posters), as if he's handling a bed sheet and shaking it open.

He (and his "restoration team") must truly not care, thinking he's going to be backing it, anyhow, and that i will "fix" his damage. But Cloutier's disregard for and doing damage to other people's property is continually astounding.  :-\

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fUj9gHpp-YQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fUj9gHpp-YQ</a>
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:23:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2018, 01:05:06 PM »
These 2 (Parts 1 & 2) of Pfix's backing and so called restoration of a French African poster for KINK KONG ('33), are probably some of the BEST examples of damage he and his outfit have done to a poster. (These clips are from 2015)

A couple things.. the poster sent to them had been previously backed with brown kraft paper. So Mssr Cloutier was going to remove that old backing & place it on new linen.

Look carefully at the poster, and how complete it is, when he first unfolds and shows it, compared to what was left, after he is first shown peeling off the old backing with just one hand, causing further damage and tears Let alone the HUGE amount of paper loss, especially near the title area, once it's shown newly backed.

Then his wife begins her part of the destruction, as she does her "job," of paper filling and re-creating/slop-painting all the missing parts that must have been tossed in the trash (since they are seen at the beginning).

These are truly painful to watch. Pure mishandling and poster destruction caught on video -- and from someone who calls himself a restorer, no less.  :-\ :o

KONG, Part I:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ICHkn2zNuK0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ICHkn2zNuK0</a>

KONG, Part II:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cX9mCToL0uc&amp;t=179s" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cX9mCToL0uc&amp;t=179s</a>

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »
Perhaps Mr and Mrs Cloutier could help bring this poster "back to life?" It needs just a little touch up here and there.  8)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Original-Rolled-1977-Star-Wars-Style-A-One-Sheet-1st-Domestic-Printing/273496309299?hash=item3fada67e33:g:Sb8AAOSwnFpbuN~0

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2018, 06:50:15 PM »
I think this is what it looks like since receiving the poster in good condition to the point of starting restoration

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2018, 10:37:46 PM »
Holy shit! Cloutier made a mess of that Kong poster! His total ineptitude is astounding! As you can see when he first opens the poster up it's pretty much all there, only it's separated at the folds. A careful linen backing could have made it look great but the hack job he did on it is fucking disgraceful! After removing the paperbacking, a lot of the logo and credits are gone! Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't inpainting usually done on missingpaper, and not on perfectly fine printed paper? And with colored pencils, not tubes of paint?? The final result looks like a cheap reprint with the colors now too bright and bold. The most distressing part is the positive comments he's received on his "work" (destruction). Granted, I'm assuming the commenters have no idea how it should be properly done, so I can't blame them for thinking this is a great job of restoration.  moron1 crying moron1 :o moron1 moron1

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2018, 10:47:30 PM »
$595.00 for a poor condition rolled first printing STAR WARS 1-sheet, anyone? Yet another seller who knows nothing about the hobby except STAR WARS = big bucks. No hair on Luke's belt, either.  eyeroll

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2018, 10:49:39 PM »
$595.00 for a poor condition rolled first printing STAR WARS 1-sheet, anyone? Yet another seller who knows nothing about the hobby except STAR WARS = big bucks. No hair on Luke's belt, either.  eyeroll

But according to the seller, this mangled poster came from the estate of actress Jane Withers. Maybe the seller thought that added, alleged factoid would make this crumpled, torn mess worth almost 600 smackers...  laugh1
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:50:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »
Erik1925, how dare you not tell me about this post LOL

Man I cant believe she was painting then smudging with her finger like that, multiple times...wow.

These 2 (Parts 1 & 2) of Pfix's backing and so called restoration of a French African poster for KINK KONG ('33), are probably some of the BEST examples of damage he and his outfit have done to a poster. (These clips are from 2015)

A couple things.. the poster sent to them had been previously backed with brown kraft paper. So Mssr Cloutier was going to remove that old backing & place it on new linen.

Look carefully at the poster, and how complete it is, when he first unfolds and shows it, compared to what was left, after he is first shown peeling off the old backing with just one hand, causing further damage and tears Let alone the HUGE amount of paper loss, especially near the title area, once it's shown newly backed.

Then his wife begins her part of the destruction, as she does her "job," of paper filling and re-creating/slop-painting all the missing parts that must have been tossed in the trash (since they are seen at the beginning).

These are truly painful to watch. Pure mishandling and poster destruction caught on video -- and from someone who calls himself a restorer, no less.  :-\ :o

KONG, Part I:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ICHkn2zNuK0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ICHkn2zNuK0</a>

KONG, Part II:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cX9mCToL0uc&amp;t=179s" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cX9mCToL0uc&amp;t=179s</a>

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »
Erik1925, how dare you not tell me about this post LOL

Man I cant believe she was painting then smudging with her finger like that, multiple times...wow.

Maybe this is your copy and why you've been afraid to unpack it in all this time...LOLOLOL

-Jeff

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2018, 03:53:16 PM »
Maybe this is your copy and why you've been afraid to unpack it in all this time...LOLOLOL

LMFAO, you know damn well I sent mine to Mario ha.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #262 on: October 22, 2018, 12:22:57 AM »
LMFAO, you know damn well I sent mine to Mario ha.

Yessir, I do...lol

Just messin' with ya.  imbecile.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #263 on: November 24, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »
Maybe this is the start of Posterfix's Black Friday? Or Black Month?  eyeroll

Sounds like cash is greatly needed so he can pay his sloppy, unprofessional team to help destroy more posters from those that are unaware. He even includes a youtube link, showing off more of his half baked, so-called "restoration" work.

As posted to MOPO:

"Dear Posterfix Friends:

The Holiday Season is the time we offer great deals on Linen Backing!  We need to raise another $5000 to meet our
urgent operating expenses. Please let me know your restoration needs.

You can ship posters to us or visit us at The Brooklyn Navy Yard!

If you choose to visit us, please make an appointment so I can clear you with BNY security. Otherwise our shipping address
is as follows:

Posterfix Corp
Brooklyn Navy Yard Building 5 suite 210
63 Flushing avenue unit 249
Brooklyn NY 11205
718-230-4085

PLEASE use Fed EX Ground or UPS as they give me the most direct, safe service for your posters.

Here is a link to our latest video showing us Linen backing
a rare poster for the 1984 movie REPO MAN.

https://youtu.be/KR5EbMDYdLU

I look forward to seeing your posters.

Best regards,

Chris Cloutier
President and owner of Posterfix

718-230-4085"

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #264 on: November 24, 2018, 06:36:42 PM »
That is an odd way to advertise, sound like you are about to go into receivership whilst asking people to send in your valuables

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »
And in the linked video, he talks about that 1/2 subway poster for REPO MAN like its uber rare and super valuable. I see that emp just sold one in Aug 2018, for 43.00:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/14876896.html

On the other hand, the DESTROY ALL MONSTERS US OS looks to sell for much more than REPO:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/DESTROY%2520ALL%2520MONSTERS/tag/nation%253AU.S./tag/xtype%253Aone-sheet/archive.html

And watch (if you must) in that clip how Cloutier's "assistant" is picking with his thumb nail to remove tape from a corner of the other poster for DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (starting @ 1;29). I guess neither he, nor Mssr Cloutier has the funds to go get some bestine or lighter fluid. Im sure that guy skinned or damaged/ripped that poster corner in the process. But the cam cut off to another shot before we see that potential destruction.  :-X

Update: The asst DID damage that corner! At 7;13 in the vid, Cloutier is retouching and repainting that same corner. Unreal  -- the true lack of care this outfit utilizes.

Or watch the reddish water coming out of the Repo Man poster. Im guessing they never washed the poster and just slopped the wheat paste on the dry poster. UGH!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:19:05 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #266 on: January 01, 2019, 09:59:59 PM »
Cloutier seems to have a handful of wannabe amateur restorer-followers that do as about as shoddy work as he does... yet they claim to be so-called "amateur experts." Stay away from these hacks, no matter how "Google-intelligent" they sound or try to present themselves.  Doh.gif

These literal "cut and pasters" (and there is one who literally cut holes into the border of a poster to remove scattered tape stains) seem to multiplying like rabbits, after watching Cloutier's (and others) youtube vids.

Best to go with the likes of Poster Mountain, 4th Cone, Mario Cueva, Studio C etc etc.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2019, 12:09:28 AM »
Cloutier seems to have a handful of wannabe amateur restorer-followers that do as about as shoddy work as he does... yet they claim to be so-called "amateur experts." Stay away from these hacks, no matter how "Google-intelligent" they sound or try to present themselves.  Doh.gif

These literal "cut and pasters" (and there is one who literally cut holes into the border of a poster to remove scattered tape stains) seem to multiplying like rabbits, after watching Cloutier's (and others) youtube vids.

Best to go with the likes of Poster Mountain, 4th Cone, Mario Cueva, Studio C etc etc.  thumbsup.gif

To whom are you referring?  Have I missed a new batch of amateur experts?

If you are thinking myself and Mark - we both think this guy is a clown. I also think that the likes of Poster Mountain and such aren’t straight up honest about using wall paper paste vs conservative methods. There was a theory that wheat paste yellows but a very well known restorer conducted a 2 year experiment to prove this false. They do it because it is cost effective and easy.  I’ve got a bucket in my poster room and with no planning could slap a poster on in an hour. It would take 24 hours to make it right...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:14:38 AM by Charlie »

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2019, 12:22:34 AM »
I would also say that unless you were there in the room with the restorer, you might cut the border cutter some slack (pun intended). I once had a poster where the glue from the tape had hardened so bad and essentially turned the paper into a hard mess.  The only way to then back this with a water based adhesive is to remove the adhesive soaked paper... or cut holes in it. Yes solvents were used to attempt to remove it. Sanded it to death but water would still not absorb into the area. This is why sometimes even your preferred restorers have to use PVA - because water based won’t work.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2019, 11:05:28 PM »
Literal added manhandling destruction as well as grade school in-painting by "Mrs Posterfix" on this beautiful, 102 yr old, WWI stone litho poster.

Added tears (1;39-1;55) and paper loss (from his roller tearing up and removing a piece @ 4;27-4.31) can be seen as this delicate poster was roughly handled, sloppily linen backed and then painted by Madame Cloutier, who is well known to use Elmer's Glue on previous poster projects. Her sloppy work is again evident here.

I can only imagine that the owner of this piece must have been horrified when he/she received it back and saw it in person. The boat in-painting looks like it was done by a 7 year old.  :o

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OfcCwPcVrdg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OfcCwPcVrdg</a>

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #270 on: September 26, 2019, 12:40:40 AM »
I recently came across a couple posters on eBay I was interested in. They were linenbacked.

Thankfully (for me), the seller mentioned they had been "professionally restored by PosterFix". Ha!

Once I read that I kept on scrolling. I am glad the seller mentioned it up front though.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2019, 09:24:00 AM »

Hey you didn’t respond to my question. Whom are you referring to here? Plus what makes you qualified to even make such a statement? You visited Poster Mountain...  eyeroll

Outside Mario the other three places you mentioned are from the same lineage of restorers whom use wallpaper paste... But even Mario uses wallpaper powder mix. He told me himself.  If you would do your own googling you could easily find that the majority of our poster restorers are not conservators... Especially the four mentioned - at least as a standard practice.  PosterFix is even worse for sure.  All in all you guys are making fun of his sloppy in painting or what ever and use of PVA glue but these other guys are just producing better end results with still non conservative methods or at least unstudied conservative methods.

No museum would ever follow the methods of these four listed and of course PosterFix - none of these guys have actual university training in paper conservation. So if you think about it we are all a bunch of amateur experts.

I would stick to the likes of Dario - at least he sticks to nori paste...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
I recently came across a couple posters on eBay I was interested in. They were linenbacked.

Thankfully (for me), the seller mentioned they had been "professionally restored by PosterFix". Ha!

Once I read that I kept on scrolling.
I am glad the seller mentioned it up front though.

Smart move, Deke. clap clap

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #273 on: September 29, 2019, 01:09:06 AM »

Once I read that I kept on scrolling. I am glad the seller mentioned it up front though.

A number of years ago, around 2006-07, when researching restorers for a French 1P I have from 1929, I looked up and spoke to Mr PFix, about my poster. He claimed he'd done work for museums etc. But in the end, I didnt go with his outfit (thank god).

I did further research and went with someone here in SoCA. And I was able to drive there and drop it off (and I picked it up, too, when it was finished).

Im sure i would be kicking myself to this day, had I gone with his so-called "museum-quality" restoration work.  faint2.gif

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #274 on: December 14, 2019, 06:51:15 PM »
Just in case anyone needed more reasons to never send their poster to him:

https://youtu.be/DjmNZkON-r0
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,