Author Topic: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix  (Read 94461 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix
« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2018, 12:22:06 PM »
Well, it seems we may be seeing different things.  I have just left a further comment on the recent video...

Interesting, and odd. Here's a screen grab from the most current vid that Cloutier uploaded. One for an Italian poster for What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

This is what I see: It shows zero comments and also that the abiliy to leave comments has been disabled for this video.

Is this the same vid you left a comment for, Simon?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:54:18 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
Yep, same here. The comments have been disabled. Maybe this forum is finally getting to him? He's tired of being called out on his shoddy work and is trying to save what little business is coming to him? Schtick drek schtunk!

Maybe only Simon can see the comments because he left a comment and that option is open to him?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2018, 03:59:54 AM »
The last link you left for this one, SOME LIKE IT HOT French Poster 1959

I see two comments, one from Australia and the other from the UK (me).

Maybe he can only disable for the US...??

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »
Hmmm. That's possible. He's over here in the US so I doubt he gets many orders from outside the US, if any at all. It might not matter to him what someone outside the US says about his work. Even though it should!

This speaks volumes about his work ethic and his lack of honesty about it. I pity the poor soul who might send him a really high value poster for restoration.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
I can also see the comments for the French SOME LIKE IT HOT poster. The clips I was referring to were the very last 2 (most recent) to be uploaded - the one with an autographed Ramones poster and then, the Italian Gilbert Grape poster.

Both of these uploads have comments disabled (at least as far as what I see).

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »
This clip has got to take the cake in pure, poster destruction.

Listen as Cloutier describes this window card as a "poster that must be removed from its cardboard backing, in order to save it."

He has his wife (who normally is the one to slop on mis-matched paint to backed posters and also likes to use Elmer's Glue in her restoration work), literally pick and peel the printed paper layer off the original cardstock backing, even though it was produced this way. What remains after she is done, are some raggedy pieces (and probably many small ones that she threw in the trash, like other videos of his have shown her to do).

The final restoration and added paint never even addresses or restores the bottom border, either.

Aside from the horrendous work, how could he NOT know that this was a theatrical window card? A quick search would have shown him it was for the 1952 movie, Chained For Life https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043397/

Flabbergasting, to say the least!  faint2.gif  Doh.gif

(Ability to leave comments is disabled on this vid, too).

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3L8LyZV3IXo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3L8LyZV3IXo</a>

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:21:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »
Yup, even on this occasion, I am seeing comments disabled.

Anyway, I can't watch any more of this stuff.  I will stay away from vids and thread.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #232 on: June 25, 2018, 12:06:29 AM »
To me it seemed as if he described the poster correctly (even had the title imposed on the video early on), even though at times the size looks to be too large to be a window card, possibly the angle of the video.

But I will say, I can't remember the last time I saw a window card linenbacked instead of being paperbacked as they should be.
I've seen the top layer stripped from the rest of the card before, but never in the way it was done here.
Would love to see one of these painted monstrosities up close
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #233 on: June 25, 2018, 12:25:05 AM »
Hey Sean. I did see that he ID'd the poster title correctly. I guess the hammer pounding by Cloutier's "poster helper" distracted me.  headbang.gif

Here's a screen grab abter it was backed, on a large canvas with other posters. The one to the immediate left is a GAME OF THRONES one sheet so that's 27x40, and a visual-size comparison. And if it isnt a WC, then what is it? Any idea?

And here's a one sheet from the same flick. Similar wording with the dates etc presented.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:26:56 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2018, 03:02:07 AM »
If that GoT is a one-sheet, then the size definitely looks off. The bottom edge should be about half the length of Game's, but if you take the area that is taped off it is much larger.
It could be a Jumbo Window Card as the height looks right, but it looks a little thin. It looks like the dimensions are around 20"x28".  Could just be a local theater custom print.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #235 on: June 25, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »
If that GoT is a one-sheet, then the size definitely looks off. The bottom edge should be about half the length of Game's, but if you take the area that is taped off it is much larger.
It could be a Jumbo Window Card as the height looks right, but it looks a little thin. It looks like the dimensions are around 20"x28".  Could just be a local theater custom print.

Thanks, Sean.

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #236 on: June 25, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »
The more I watch the video's this clown makes, the more irritated I get. If you stop it at 0:53, you can see clearly what the poster looks like before he does his hatchet job on it. The red and yellow background is solid and not terrible. Compare it to what this jamoke glued to the linen and he just make a fucking mess of it! It looks like the entire background is being repainted by his ASSisstant. I like the way the posters are sliced off the large piece of canvas like a butcher would slice a piece of genoa salami off a bigger piece. What the hell do they use, a switchblade? I wonder how many posters they messed up by slicing the poster instead of the canvas? And I must say, his choice of music for this abomination alternates between hysterical and infurating. This dunce has absolutely no business working in the paper restoration field.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #237 on: June 25, 2018, 05:36:16 PM »
The more I watch the video's this clown makes, the more irritated I get. If you stop it at 0:53, you can see clearly what the poster looks like before he does his hatchet job on it. The red and yellow background is solid and not terrible. Compare it to what this jamoke glued to the linen and he just make a fucking mess of it! It looks like the entire background is being repainted by his ASSisstant. I like the way the posters are sliced off the large piece of canvas like a butcher would slice a piece of genoa salami off a bigger piece. What the hell do they use, a switchblade? I wonder how many posters they messed up by slicing the poster instead of the canvas? And I must say, his choice of music for this abomination alternates between hysterical and infurating. This dunce has absolutely no business working in the paper restoration field.

That so called "poster assistant," (it's also his wife) not only slops on paint but also likes to use Elmer's Glue as part of her "restoration & repair" expertise. This is shown in a video about a bull fighting poster that she attempted to repair, but actually did more damage to.

Small pieces of that poster tore off, while she was "working " on that poster, and rather than save them to re-attach later, she simply tossed them into the trash. All of this is shown on that other video, too.  eyeroll

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:03:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #238 on: June 26, 2018, 12:49:57 PM »
He changed the title on the Bond video, from "F***ed up James Bond Posters..." to "Challanged James Bond Posters."   mesmrized
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:59:09 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2018, 09:48:45 PM »

Sean, here's the GoT one sheet video, backing it with air pockets underneath and horrible touch ups to the tear at the top. The Chained for Life scrap can also be seen in this video, too, on the same, large piece of framed linen.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/z2EXtGWHtzs&amp;t=10s" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/z2EXtGWHtzs&amp;t=10s</a>

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #240 on: June 26, 2018, 11:29:03 PM »
Just pitiful
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »
The latest... and yet more damage done (tears created that did not exist prior to his "work" on 2 posters), one being for the purple/blue style Swedish poster for The Apartment (1960). On this one, he creates a huge tear in the upper right corner area, (seen at 3;44-3;48).

The other he does damage to is on the beautiful, Swedish poster for Five Graves to Cairo (1943), where he tears off the upper right corner, and then patches it back. He pushes the corner back into place, after first flipping the pasted poster over at 6;05, and then @ 6;21, the torn corner is easily seen.  Doh.gif Doh.gif 

Overall, his rough handling of the posters, at the start of the clip, where he's lifting and holding them with only one hand, isnt doing these posters any great service either. That he can be so nonchalant and cavalier about damage he and his team causes, is mind boggling.

And comments are disabled for this clip, too.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aCMYX9BPX80" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aCMYX9BPX80</a>
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:05:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2018, 04:21:34 AM »
I know I said I wouldn't come to the thread or watch the videos, but like a moth to a flame.

Just lousy workmanship.  And yes, that torn corner!  Lord, the fact he thinks this stuff is worthy of popping out on to the net is outstandingly misinformed.

I popped a down thumbs on it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2018, 12:23:49 PM »
I know I said I wouldn't come to the thread or watch the videos, but like a moth to a flame.

Just lousy workmanship.  And yes, that torn corner!  Lord, the fact he thinks this stuff is worthy of popping out on to the net is outstandingly misinformed.

I popped a down thumbs on it.

That same philosophy is exactly why I go and watch his clips, too, Simon. And it's like every time, some new "mishap" happens.

Before the comments were taken down on the recent BOND video, I did see where someone had asked him if the owner was shocked at the damage done to the one poster. Cloutier's reply was that the client had been sending him lots of stuff for many years and knew that "mistakes and other things happen."  I pictured that client's collection of Posterfix'd posters looking like the Frankenstein monster, full of scars and bad retouches.

So he obviously has some people that think he does acceptable or even good work, or he wouldnt still be in business.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #244 on: July 11, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »
Looks like Posterfix has a FB page, where Mssr Cloutier's restoration examples are also advertised. The CHAINED FOR LIFE piece that he did the video on, is shown here, too.

https://www.facebook.com/Posterfix-148823528509317/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:57:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #245 on: July 14, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »
This mass email was sent out this morning by Mssr Cloutier, once again, begging for business to help him keep his doors open. What I loved about this email was his offering of a 25% discount, if you paid by the "friends & family" method. What this method is, is simply sending cash to him and NOT paying for a good or service.

Paying him this way, Paypal wont take their % fee. But it also makes me wonder:  if a customer had a problem or issue with his services and paid this way, would there be any recourse, if someone demanded a refund for poor or shoddy work? I'll bet not, as it looks like Cloutier was merely sent money, like one would send money to a family member. There would be no proof of paying for actual services rendered.

With his track record and poor work, I'd think anyone should avoid this offer, lock, stock and barrel.  eyeroll

Here's the actual email:

"I am offering great prices this month on Linen Backing.

Please help posterfix meet it's operating expences by purchasing our
services thru paypal. If you pay by the “friends and family” method I will give you a
25% discount to start with.. The more posters for linen backing we get
the better the price.

We are presently selling lots of posters on ebay as well as conservation.

We need your posters to stay in business!

Thanks very much, I look forward to hearing from you.

Chris Cloutier

Posterfix Corp"
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:02:00 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #246 on: July 14, 2018, 03:18:55 PM »
"Friends and family" payment is basically a gift.  PayPal would not help with a refund if a buyer requests one.  If the buyer paid with a credit or debit card, via PayPal, the credit or debit card company may be able to help.

That's a really sketchy way to offer a discount.  A couple times, sellers asked me to send payment that way, so the seller avoided the fees, and I just added the cost of the fee to their total and sent it with the "goods and services" payment.  Out of principle, I probably wouldn't do that again, as I don't agree with charging someone more so the seller can avoid the fee that PayPal, etc. charge for the service that they provide.

Some sellers want to get every penny they can from a deal, while others are complete scammers, as they know it's much less likely they'll be held accountable if/when the buyer wants a refund.

The crazy thing, based on my experience, is that PayPal will not help with a refund for shoddy restoration work.  I learned that when Jaime Mendez Restorations mangled my poster a couple years ago.  They basically said "we can't help you with a refund, because JMR performed the service, and the contract stated you paid them for that service."  Despite my before/after photos, and me explaining the situation, PayPal was no help.  On another note, I think restoration companies should take their own before/after photos.  A few "work in progress" photos would also be nice, but it's easy to see why some companies wouldn't do that, as it would be evidence against them for damages they created with their work.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2018, 09:31:30 AM »
Hasn't Cloutier pulled this "oh please help us stay open!" nonsense once before? If his work was on par with Poster Mountain or other restorers who don't fuck up the posters they work on, he wouldn't need to beg for money and / or work. I wouldn't send this dunce the skin off a grape - let him close.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »
Hasn't Cloutier pulled this "oh please help us stay open!" nonsense once before? If his work was on par with Poster Mountain or other restorers who don't fuck up the posters they work on, he wouldn't need to beg for money and / or work. I wouldn't send this dunce the skin off a grape - let him close.

Yes, he has sent out a number of those kinds of email in the past, too, with various discounts or offerings, if people would send him stuff to work on.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2018, 02:24:21 PM »
All one has to do is watch Cloutier's manhandling technique of unfolding posters with one hand (while he holds his phone with the other tomake the video) to understand the damage, tearing and fold splitting he causes in the process.  eyeroll

Even more so, when it comes to French 1P sizes.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SgYweSazxtg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SgYweSazxtg</a>

-Jeff