Author Topic: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix  (Read 94994 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix
« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2018, 12:24:44 PM »
He would linen back his mother if she was still around to try to preserve her

So true, Steve.

And even if the flag owner had wanted it linen backed and saturated with wheat paste, Pfix should know enough to have told the owner that one doesnt linen back an item like this. You don't glue a flag to some linen and tell anyone that is the proper way to preserve or conserve an item like this.

Even if this is one item Cloutier didnt make $$ on, at least this piece of WWII memorabilia would have been handled properly.

The good thing is, (& unlike a poster), the owner could opt to have it removed, the wheat paste washed out of it, and also have the stains/watermarks dealt with.

Then placed into a display case or sleeve of some kind.

So it's not a total lost cause.  whew.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #201 on: June 10, 2018, 10:39:18 PM »
Watch the botch job on 2 posters here, let alone the incredible amount of damage that Cloutier's "poster helper" does to the UK quad for Spectre.

And listen at about 11;38 what mixture of adhesives that Cloutier suggests they use to assure adhesion. It'll make you eyeroll

One of the best videos to watch for those that ever even considered using this guy. This vid screams, "STAY AWAY!"

And his attitude and comments at the end of the vid about the damage caused is nonchalant. Like creating damage is all in a day's work for him.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2cnbq_AjpAs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2cnbq_AjpAs</a>

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »
OMG!! That asshat ruined the SPECTRE quad! At 15:15 he ruins the credits by scuffing it with the roller, removing the print with it. I like the way he treats the unrestored poster beforehand, by casually rolling and unrolling it; if it gets a few more dings because he can't be careful with it, oh well, it's gonna be linenbacked anyway! And what he was trying to do with the FRWL is fairly disturbing. Incompetent idiot.  :o :-\ moron1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
And you gotta love the way his so-called "poster helper" is picking away at the glue residue from a snipe or some other sticker that was there, with his fingernail!

Let alone that he was suggesting using a mixture of wheat paste and ELMER'S GLUE to use on the quad to make sure that it adhered properly.

Both posters were more damaged due to rough handling than before they arrived.

How he thinks these kinds of vids get people to actually send him stuff to work on is beyond me. (But people do!!)  Doh.gif

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #204 on: June 11, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
The public at large has no clue whatsoever how restoration is done, let alone how to do it properly. So if you don't know the right methods in the first place, then watching this with an uninformed eye would convince you "yes, I guess this is how it's done". But WE know better, don't we Mr. Posterfix, who will never touch one of my posters??

What he was doing with the FRWL poster almost made me click it off. He tries to remove the pasted over title, which is a gummed snipe, and in doing so tears the paper down to the border?? He leaves a white border around the snipe because the ink if coming off along with the adhesive. Hey Chris, guess what! If you peel the entire snipe off, the title printed on the poster comes off too! Is this what the customer wanted? And how are you going to fix the credits you fucked up on the Spectre quad??  Incompetent idiot!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #205 on: June 11, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »
Or how about the great move where "helper" not only didnt see the scotch tape on the poster prior to backing it, but, instead of using lighter fluid or Bestine to remove it, cuts & PEELS it off, ("skinning" was the word they both used) removing part of the printed, ink layer!!  faint2.gif

And the Bond poster with the snipe was actually a recycled, Film Festival poster that had been created for Thunderball originally.

Someone not only added the snipe later on, (the theater maybe?) but also blacked out the "Film Festival" line, in yellow text, at the top of the poster. If you watch the vid carefully, you can make out the black "ink bar" that covers over this wording.

Here is a pic of one of these festival posters, "unsniped" and with the wording not blacked out:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 03:14:35 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2018, 12:40:29 PM »
Eric, a little bit of history. This is a kind of variation of the Viva James Bond reissue campaign in 1970. UA simply printed up the poster with the printed title "Thunderball" on it. If you wanted to run any of the other Connery Bonds or, I'm assuming OHMSS, they sent you a gummed snipe to paste over the printed title. I don't know if UA also supplied the black stripe to cover the "Film Festival" part of the poster, but they could have. I have a "You Only Live Twice" version of this poster and the problem is the adhesive used on the snipe is like a giant piece of scotch tape. The glue is still active and will eventually soak into the paper. I haven't tried to peel off the snipe but I am guessing the glue is like iron and would cause mucho problems in trying to remove it. These 1-sheets are not all that rare or expensive so I don't understand why someone would want it linenbacked with the snipe on it, but to each his own, I guess. The white Roger Moore version is also part of this campaign. The 1-sheet has "Live And Let Die" printed on it but I don't know if a snipe with "Man With The Golden Gun" was ever made or used for it. If it was I personally have never seen it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2018, 12:47:24 PM »
Thanks for the info, cabmangray.

So in one sense, this poster was most offered like a kind of stock poster, if other snipes were sometimes included, in order to change and/or promote another Bond title that was being screened.

Even if not that rare a poster, the fact that it was torn and mishandled by Cloutier and his so-called helper, who both do the most careless and shoddiest of work, is no deserved. Were I the owner of either of the posters shown in that clip, I would have demanded not only my money back, but that he replace BOTH posters.

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »
Right. I guess UA learned from the Viva campaign where they printed up blank stock posters and the theatres simply wrote whatever film they were showing in the blank part of the poster and it usually looked rather sloppy. France was the only country to make the posters look nice by professionally printing the titles on the films in the space. The black 1-sheets do look better with the professionally printed snipes; at least the original logos were used. Also the 1-sheets were the only posters made for them; no inserts, 22x28's, lobby cards or anything else. A press sheet or ad mats were made for it but are hard as hell to track down. Bruce has had it at least once, as did "moviegoods" (remember them?)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »
Kind of a cool and economical way to later take a film festival poster, put it thru the "stock turn style" with a new, added snipe put over the original title and then re-use it for later, various Bond film screenings.

A good idea, too, since the poster, overall, looks much better than what one usually thinks about, when a typical 'stock poster' has been issued, with just a large blank space where the theater owner could stamp in the name of the next flick that was coming down the pike.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2018, 01:32:01 PM »
Why on Earth does this guy think that demonstrating the damage he perpetrates on all his posters is good marketing.

He is an absolute clown.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
Why on Earth does this guy think that demonstrating the damage he perpetrates on all his posters is good marketing.

He is an absolute clown.

Hey Simon,

I wrote him an email once, not too long ago, asking about this aspect (but in a more diplomatic kind of way).

He wrote back, saying that he had shot many vids of posters that they had worked on, that had been horribly damaged because of their terrible work and carelessness but that he couldnt bring himself to post "those mishaps" (his words, not mine).

So many of his clips show rough handling, added tears, torn pieces, added splits on fold lines, let alone the horrible touch up work that his so-called artist-wife performs. It's like driving by a fender bender on the road. We dont wanna look, but we cant help it. Curiosity gets the best of us...   sad.gif

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2018, 03:09:47 PM »
 faint2.gif faint2.gif faint2.gif

The title of that Bond video, alone, speaks volumes.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #213 on: June 12, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »
faint2.gif faint2.gif faint2.gif

The title of that Bond video, alone, speaks volumes.

True... I guess even Cloutier couldnt hide the fact that they had messed up BIG TIME in this one.

But that he eve chose to post it, is the other head scratcher.

-Jeff

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2018, 12:00:09 AM »
He's thinking of changing the name of his website to "pooper-scoopers.com"  :P

...or "shittyposterwork.com"

....or "i-fuck up-posters.com"
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:13:25 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #215 on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:38 AM »
Am afraid I have responded to his video.  So utterly appalled by his efforts, it couldn't stay any longer uncommented upon.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #216 on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:15 AM »
payMeUpFrontSoICanPayMyShopRentAndNotGetEvic ted.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #217 on: June 13, 2018, 01:30:18 PM »
Am afraid I have responded to his video.  So utterly appalled by his efforts, it couldn't stay any longer uncommented upon.

Did you comment on the actual video-youtube page? Or send him a PM?

I only see 2 comments under the vid on youtube, and neither one reads like they are from you, Simon.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #218 on: June 13, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »
Oh.

Have just visited the page and I see my comment.  In totality;
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon Firth

I am not sure if this is marketing or just a demonstration of complete incompetence.  Why would one show the destruction of that which one is trying to restore?  Beyond me.  https://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1624.0.html

Simon Firth

XxironarrowxX2 days ago

So problem children come along from time to time for the experts at Posterfix?
You both did the best that could have been done considering the curveballs (we call them Yorkers in Oz) thrown up to you.
I’m linen backing a “Ran” Thierry hates "French Grande" poster soon, that has tape right along the top and bottom folded over onto the back for some reason. After seeing what tape does in this video I’ll be cutting it off as I can’t remove it.
Thanks for the education again for us amateurs and any Bond poster is a good one!
Rodney from Oz

Maharlika Sofranes   

I hope we'll see the end results.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #219 on: June 13, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »
Weird...

I just logged onto the youtube video link again, and I don't see your comment.

But I see the other 2 comments that you quoted.

dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #220 on: June 13, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »
I see there are 3 comments, but only 2 show up. Can he block negative comments from appearing?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2018, 05:46:27 PM »
I see there are 3 comments, but only 2 show up. Can he block negative comments from appearing?

Maybe so?

I just looked again, and Simes' comment is still not showing (for me, anyhow).

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2018, 06:06:07 PM »
Yet another "painful" restoration project to watch, with mis-matched touch up paint slopped on, all over the place.  :-\

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ISkhJELBArw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ISkhJELBArw</a>

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2018, 06:28:43 PM »
Looks like Posterfix / Cloutier is no longer going to be allowing comments on their "restoration" videos. The 2 most recent uploads have the comments option disabled.

I wonder why?   whistle.gif

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2018, 04:44:14 AM »
Well, it seems we may be seeing different things.  I have just left a further comment on the recent video...