Author Topic: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix  (Read 95025 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54:35 PM »
JEEZ, Leslie... what an ordeal! How doing your poster, during his "slow week" in Oct, turned into this months long torture ride is mind blowing.
Let alone what looks like that vertical fold that is slightly creased over on itself, (it casts a shadow in yur pic) the razor cuts, and that mystery bump, under the linen...  :o

What gets me is his lack of any response....until u had to almost take legal action.

Its such a cool looking poster..so Im glad, too, that it did get back to you..finally.

Maybe he did make a video; 8)  the imagery is eye grabbing enough that maybe it will be on youtube, soon!

AT least recounting the escapades here will give others food for thought, before they maybe head (or ship) to the Navy yard, in Brooklyn, NY.

And what a GREAT, informative post, too!  clap

-Jeff

Linkster

« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »
Thanks Chris, Matt and Jeff.
What gets me is his lack of any response....until u had to almost take legal action.

I know. My experience maps almost exactly to a few others I found through google searches. It seems to be his entire MO. And yet it can't be a sustainable business model. I think the fact that I live in Australia might have made him assume I couldn't touch him. Hard to know.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
Some years ago, I contemplated trying him, after a little restore ordeal out here in LA. I also had a french 1P --older, lots of white background to the paper. So I called him.. we spoke for a good 45 min on the phone, and he certainly talked the talk. Telling me, among other things, how he had worked and trained doing archival oil paint restorations at museums.   :-X

He gave a good spiel, i will say,.. and sounded like he knew what he was talking about. The ONLY reason, i opted not to go with him (and this is before APF or the now known horror stories), was because I did not want to ship this poster 'cross country. I wanted to be able to drop it off and pick it up, when done. So i went with PM out here, at that time.

I can only imagine what might have happened, or not, had i decided to mail it off to "mr posterNONfix."

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »
I guess you will be using an Australian backer from here on.

The masa paper overlap... thats probably reasonable

Razor cuts... he was probably using your poster as the underlay for cutting out paper fill for someone else's poster

The raised ridge and introduced folds at dumb angles is because he is lazy or not wearing glasses  moron1

The paper clip is my guess a clump of cotton threads

Also the fold touch up color is not good...

I think he is old and visually impaired. He probably turned off the mains water supply for three weeks by accident thinking he was tightening a jar of wheat paste

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:24:48 PM by 50s »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2014, 11:25:50 PM »

I think he is old and visually impaired. He probably turned off the mains water supply for three weeks by accident thinking he was tightening a jar of what paste

Or mixing up his latest batch of Pfix.......  qip

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:22 AM »
Maybe he was angry at you calling it island of the fish people instead of ISLAND OF THE FISHMEN? :) joke. Sorry to hear it's a great poster for a terrific film.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2014, 05:08:04 AM »
Theirry Hates Thierry hates "French Grande" because he thinks we should all say 47x63 or one panle or something French, as long as it ain't Grande.

Holiday one time did a funny and aliases Brie to shit, in a moment of vain revenge.
The result of that was that for a few days everytime Thierry's username name came up it was "Eat Shit"

some of us had fun with that as long as it lasted.

I wish Holiday would let us have some fun again

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2014, 05:25:48 AM »
Yeah, can Holiday now please alias "MoviePosterBid" ?

Linkster

« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2014, 06:11:39 AM »
Maybe he was angry at you calling it island of the fish people instead of ISLAND OF THE FISHMEN? :) joke. Sorry to hear it's a great poster for a terrific film.

Fair point. Although EMP lists it as Something Waits in the Dark so now I don't know what to call it. Never seen the movie but I suspect it can't live up to the poster so am in no rush to. Then again I heard it features people being turned inside out or something so it might be worth checking out at some point.

Theirry Hates Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" because he thinks we should all say 47x63 or one panle or something French, as long as it ain't Grande

Ha! Thanks Rich. That explains it so.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2014, 07:36:30 PM »
It's a great film. Really good fun. Even better than the poster.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2014, 11:48:05 PM »
Apparently,most customers don't know what good restoration looks like.It's the only way to explain why they're still in business.

Anthony

Ringwar

« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2014, 11:27:41 PM »

Posterfix says in business because of people like me.... saw his shop on "How it's Made" and had no idea he is a hack. Luckily I didn't send him something expensive.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »
This is the most recent vid (made in 2 parts) for his "restoration" of an Argentinean OS for Robot Monster. A couple of the horrifying things to look out for. One.. look closely at the original condition of the poster, at :22- :40 secs. You can see the left and right borders were trimmed off but there are NO huge areas of paper loss. Watch how he and the woman that helps him, create these GAPING areas as they do dry tape removal, and then toss pieces of the actual poster, that got torn away, onto the floor! :o

And then to see the "post-tape removal" ravaged poster laying there, prior to it being backed.  :'(  

And watch, too, as the same woman, is SITTING on the poster, as she is doing some in-painting. Let alone doing some of the work on a previously backed poster, which is underneath. (She's the same woman who was using a brush filled with Elmer's glue on the bullfighting poster).

Images speak louder than words, here.

Part One:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xfOQ7hnuU6g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xfOQ7hnuU6g</a>

Part 2:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mnNfcpaaeRw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mnNfcpaaeRw</a>
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:13:36 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2014, 03:33:42 PM »
the words ignorant and stupidity don't come close to measuring what dumb f*cks these people are

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »
I mean.. when i watched how they actually created huge areas of paper loss, that they then poorly re-created, I was floored. Let alone the dry peeling of the tape from the back, (which also created skinned areas, as well).

I can only imagine what the owner of this poster thought, when he/she saw their mostly intact poster, man(woman) handled in this way, in these 2 clips.

JEEZ...  eyeroll
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:45:06 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »
These guys regularly auction off packages for "your 10 linen-backed posters" on ebay to the highest bidder...so most likely the owner of this one has 9 others queued for "fixin"  .... :'(

• Post-aholic
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2014, 04:03:06 PM »
These guys regularly auction off packages for "your 10 linen-backed posters" on ebay to the highest bidder...so most likely the owner of this one has 9 others queued for "fixin"  .... :'(

what a horrible thought  :'(

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »

And they have been offering those ebay "packages" for years, too.  :-X

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
You would think if people actually cared about their posters they would do a little research before entrusting a restorer with resto work  eyeroll
Chris

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2014, 01:49:25 AM »
I like how at the end of the videos he enjoys a fine cup of java after torturing the poster.  If this their best foot forward with their A-1 work, imagine what the average work is like.  Shivers up my spine, whoa..
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2014, 08:03:06 PM »
I like how the woman is sitting on the poster.   faint2.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2014, 12:53:28 AM »
I like how the woman is sitting on the poster.   faint2.gif

That and her throwing peeled and torn pieces of the original poster onto the floor as she haphazardly peels the tape away and created those GAPING areas of paper loss, where none existed before she got her digits on them, are both worthy of multiple  faint2.gif faint2.gif faint2.gif

And maybe a few of these, too.  gun1 gun1

-Jeff

Linkster

« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2014, 02:22:03 AM »
Ah, now this gives me hope. Years of screwing clients over must be finally catching up with him if this email plea is anything to go by. Why he'd still include me on his mailing list though is beyond me;

Dear Posterfix customers,

I hope you are enjoying your summer.

Summer is a traditionally slow period for Posterfix.
This summer is slower than usual.  I will probably not take my family on vacation this summer.

This would be a great time for me to linen back one of those poster projects you
have been postponing to do.

Keep in mind that we can linen back more than just posters:
Maps, ligthographs, colotypes, serigraphs, etc.

Linen backing is an archival mounting process which prolongs the longevity of
your fine paper collectible.

I hope you will send us some poster business this summer! i will give you a fabulous price.
I also have an auction on ebay ending today for linen backing (one poster) as well.
Ebay Item: 261522140597

Regards,

Chris Cloutier

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
Ah, now this gives me hope. Years of screwing clients over must be finally catching up with him if this email plea is anything to go by. Why he'd still include me on his mailing list though is beyond me;

Dear Posterfix customers,

I hope you are enjoying your summer.

Summer is a traditionally slow period for Posterfix.
This summer is slower than usual.  I will probably not take my family on vacation this summer.

This would be a great time for me to linen back one of those poster projects you
have been postponing to do.

Keep in mind that we can linen back more than just posters:
Maps, ligthographs, colotypes, serigraphs, etc.

Linen backing is an archival mounting process which prolongs the longevity of
your fine paper collectible.

I hope you will send us some poster business this summer! i will give you a fabulous price.
I also have an auction on ebay ending today for linen backing (one poster) as well.
Ebay Item: 261522140597

Regards,

Chris Cloutier

Wow.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »
I received one of those emails, too... but have never used him. I only ever called him one time, about 8 years ago, to ask some questions (before knowing about his reputation and work).

I might have asked for a quote or something, so that is how he has my email address.   :P

-Jeff