Author Topic: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix  (Read 93551 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Restorer to avoid: Posterfix
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:48:03 PM »
Just saw this video of Posterfix, with Chris Cloutier, linen backing an Avatar 6 sheet.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObRxXN4MmFA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ObRxXN4MmFA</a>
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 02:06:35 PM by erik1925 »

Charlie

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »
Just saw this video of Posterfix, with Chris Cloutier, linen backing an Avatar 6 sheet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObRxXN4MmFA

Wow!  This guy sucks.  Different plates...  See how he just throws the paper on; poor form...  Did you see how many air bubbles were left...  Poor sucker who paid for that is going to be a little annoyed...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:20:03 PM by Charlie »

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 07:32:09 PM »
Man I really need to get a linen back setup going; I could so do better than this guy.  His restos are so obvious....  Or maybe it's harder than I think...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
I think his work sucks.  I am not impressed at all.  I have seen other people do it, and this is poor.  BTW, my copy of Avatar lines up perfectly.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »
Yes, his technique is not how my restorer does it with those poster types. Far to slow with the rollers and missing a trick to flatten it.

Silly at the end of the video, him wearing a spacesuit.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »
Chris Cloutier is a POS - he took 6 months to LB my Goldfinger poster and it's lumpy and looks like hell and is now worthless:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:34:12 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »
Charlie, that would be real cool if you paved the way for DIYers who want to linen back their own stuff.  

T, since you mentioned your Avatar 6 sheet lines up perfectly, I was compelled to attempt to do so on my own.  When I first got it, I tried to line up the sheets, and as I mentioned in a previous post, they would not line up, but in hindsight it was largely due to the fact that it was rolled so tight that it was difficult to work with, and I didn't realize how much the sheets overlap.  Its been lying flat for a while, and after lining up the sheets carefully, mine also lines up perfectly, the borders and the art.  The guy doing the one on the vid may have set up the first couple sheets a little wrong, and in that case the rest of the sheets would not line up correctly.  I can't speak as to Mr. Cloutier's linen backing methods, but in the few vids I've seen of him, and the various things I've read about him, it seems like he could take more care with the pieces he is entrusted with.

Mel, I can't imagine what he did to that Bond poster, but that sucks, especially since it took that long, one would expect it to be perfect.  Did you contact him about a refund?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:56:01 PM by NeoLoco »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
If you make a video to advertize your business, you better do a freakin' great job.  The way I see it, this is a gigantic failure and I can't imagine anyone ever requesting the services of that bozo. 

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »
Mel, sorry that it happened, but most here know that he does not know what the fuck he's doing.  He sells his cheap linenbacking on ebay for 100 a pop, but he sucks.  You should have gone with Dario, or, if you want to spend a lot, Poster Mountain.

Next time.

Chris Cloutier is a POS - he took 6 months to LB my Goldfinger poster and it's lumpy and looks like hell and is now worthless:

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 10:43:25 PM »

Mel

I told you not to send this idiot anything. why didn't you listen?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
I think Mel & James Bond are a combination simply doomed to failure.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 12:25:06 AM »
I don't think that video is doing what he wants it to be doing.  Happily, it does explain Mel's poster.

What a craptastic job.  I'd be PO'd if that came back to me.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:32 AM »
good lord.. there are so many things wrong with how they work it is truly unbelievable
to anyone intelligent that video should tell them to go anywhere else

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 01:32:43 AM »
I can't imagine anyone ever requesting the services of that bozo. 

T

Me neither... crappy work
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 02:02:32 AM »
My first experience with PosterFix was buying a linenbacked poster from them on ebay.
It literally looked like the work had been done by a child with crayons.
Subsequent experiences on MoPo - in particular his childish responses and insulting language aimed at a female member there - are representative of someone who is best left alone from society  in the basement of a closed library.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 02:04:18 AM »
* and that's aside from the simple fact that I have heard scores of complaints about PosterFix and Chris Cloutier and never a single praise, should tell you what a piece of work that fool is

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »
That was from a year ago. I learned a lot from that experience:

(1) Have the patience to wait for a good quality unrestored original, rather than buying a beat up copy and then having it restored.

(2) NEVER miss the 45 day Paypal deadline to file a complaint.  Always file a claim if the seller has not delivered by that deadline.

(3) NEVER miss the 60 day Ebay deadline to post negative feedback.

(4) NEVER deal with Chris Cloutier.

Despite knowing his poor reputation, I bought his $99 special and sent him that Goldfinger combo poster (I think I paid about $75 for it - the artwork was in good condition but it had an extra fold at the bottom and was generally beat up, so it really needed linen-backing to look decent).  He promised me repeatedly to get it back in a month or so.  He stopped responding to emails about its status.  I missed the Paypal and Ebay deadlines and was basically without any meaningful recourse.  Finally, I threatened to file a claim against him in Brooklyn small claims court just on principle.  It showed up 6 months later in atrocious condition.

So I'm out $175 and am probably just going to throw it away. 

Bruce

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
You could post a YouTube video about your experience!

sm1

Bruce

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »

Send it to Bruce (as if you were to get it consigned). So when he gives you his description of how poor it is.

Start an argument with posterfix. Then make a youtube video of it. If you have a professional opinion on how poor the job is. Then atleast you have even more back up for more people(the ones that don't come to APF) to believe you when you make the youtube video.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:38:13 AM by bigmike »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
This cannot be buried.  It deserves its own thread.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »

Send it to Bruce (as if you were to get it consigned). So when he gives you his description of how poor it is.

Start an argument with posterfix. Then make a youtube video of it. If you have a professional opinion on how poor the job is. Then atleast you have even more back up for more people(the ones that don't come to APF) to believe you when you make the youtube video.

I like this approach.
Don't let the dude get away with it, Mel.
Stick it in and snap it off at the hilt.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »
Posterfix?  More like Posterfux.... amirite?

1st LB poster I bought on ebay was from this guy, there is a reason it was the last...

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
Just watched the video for the second time, and it's obvious why the sheets don't line up in his video.  The lower right section is not overlapping the upper right section enough, causing the rest of the sheets on the lower half to line up incorrectly.

For the record, I didn't write the title on this subject.  It looks like the guy has a lot of work, so hopefully he can learn from his mistakes, and improve his future restorations, thereby improving his reputation in the business.

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but is there a video showing (in your opinion) an excellent linen backing/restoration job?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
It looks like the guy has a lot of work, so hopefully he can learn from his mistakes, and improve his future restorations, thereby improving his reputation in the business.

laugh1

Neo.. this has been going on for years with this guy. Look at any forum or newsgroup & you'll find a wide variety of complaints about a wide variety of issues with this ass clown. The possibility of Chris cleaning up his act, to anyone who has been watching for years, is absolute ZERO and the possibility of them doing good work is the same ZERO

ultimate conclusion: MASSIVE FAIL

-------

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »
Just watched the video for the second time, and it's obvious why the sheets don't line up in his video.  The lower right section is not overlapping the upper right section enough, causing the rest of the sheets on the lower half to line up incorrectly.

For the record, I didn't write the title on this subject.  It looks like the guy has a lot of work, so hopefully he can learn from his mistakes, and improve his future restorations, thereby improving his reputation in the business.

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but is there a video showing (in your opinion) an excellent linen backing/restoration job?

I bought my poster in the '90s... If you haven't improved in a decade, then you never will...