Author Topic: LAMP  (Read 6649 times)

Charlie

LAMP
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:19:15 AM »
I've never joined LAMP.  Anybody a member and is it worth it?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: LAMP
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
I joined Lamp roughly the same time I registered here.
The site is a wealth of information,

Stew

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »
Don't like it.  Never did.  That site might be full of information, but it takes an engineer to go through layers of bullshit because you get to that said information.  Life it too short.  Plus, it advertises many sites I don't like and I don't recognize its stamp as proof of quality.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »
As a newb I went to the LAMP site, found a LAMP poster dealer sponsor to buy from, bought a $3000 poster, 6 months later with more knowledge about my poster and the hobby, I advised Ed at LAMP my purchase turned out not to be near mint as advertised on his website but heavily resprayed, Ed offered no assistance in any way. I was left feeling he was not interested in my experience, only more interested in supporting the dealer who financially supported him. I consider the LAMP endorsement worthless.

~~~~~
Here is the LAMP promise:

At LAMP there's no need to worry. We present the opposite of most other online experiences. There are NO unknown dealers, questionable tactics or misrepresentations.

A LAMP Dealer represents the very best our hobby has to offer, so no more worrying. You can look, research, learn, contact direct and ask questions as much as you like.
~~~~~

Regarding information on the website, there is a wealth of great information in there for sure. LAMP really have contributed immensely to the hobby and beyond it.

I agree with T, the website is structured poorly. Not just poorly, but I couldn't even design it on purpose any worse than it is. I think of it like walking an outdoor maze garden, waist deep in mud - it's difficult.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »
I joined Lamp roughly the same time I registered here.
The site is a wealth of information,
Stew

Stew, what does the premium site offer that is of interest or use to collectors (non-dealers) and not available elsewhere on the Internet?  I'd like to help the site but I don't need esoteric info on NSS numbers, copyright, etc.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:17:27 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »
As a newb I went to the LAMP site, found a LAMP poster dealer sponsor to buy from, bought a $3000 poster, 6 months later with more knowledge about my poster and the hobby, I advised Ed at LAMP my purchase turned out not to be near mint as advertised on his website but heavily resprayed, Ed offered no assistance in any way. I was left feeling he was not interested in my experience, only more interested in supporting the dealer who financially supported him. I consider the LAMP endorsement worthless.

~~~~~
Here is the LAMP promise:

At LAMP there's no need to worry. We present the opposite of most other online experiences. There are NO unknown dealers, questionable tactics or misrepresentations.

A LAMP Dealer represents the very best our hobby has to offer, so no more worrying. You can look, research, learn, contact direct and ask questions as much as you like.
~~~~~

Regarding information on the website, there is a wealth of great information in there for sure. LAMP really have contributed immensely to the hobby and beyond it.

I agree with T, the website is structured poorly. Not just poorly, but I couldn't even design it on purpose any worse than it is. I think of it like walking an outdoor maze garden, waist deep in mud - it's difficult.

Exactly this.  Well put.
Ves

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
The site turned me off for two reasons:

1) Incomplete information.
2) Poor navigation.

When I first visited years ago, I thought it had been abandoned.
When I recently re-visited, it looked the same.
No thanks.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
I thought it had been abandoned.

cheers
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
Well I guess that's is all I need.  Somebody tell Mel what he needs to add to his site and I am sure he'll get it up.  Mel, can I sign up for a lifetime membership now before you start charging?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »
Charlie, did you have to pay to join?

Charlie

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »
Charlie, did you have to pay to join?

I didn't join.  Its $60 a year or so; that is why I asked.  Just doing some research before I spend a poster...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »
I didn't join.  Its $60 a year or so; that is why I asked.  Just doing some research before I spend a poster...

Phew...that's a lotta money for membership.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »

I like the way you think Charlie, I too think of money in posters... ;D

I also think the book put out by Lamp, and Ed Poole, was very poor from a British point of view...I have never used the service, as for the reasons Ted and others have stated.
The one thing you can't buy In this Hobby or any thing in life, is experience.... Just go out and get some, but steady as she goes.... :)
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »
A lot of unnecessary negativity in this thread.  LAMP is what it is.  As I understand Ed and his wife are full time researchers looking into film memorabilia issues (copyright, NSS number history) not particularly relevant to APF collectors. Obviously they're entitled to be compensated by those who can benefit from their specialized services.  Although it's outdated, the public portions - movie poster database - are still very useful and no doubt required ridiculous hours to put together. Steve's situation is unfortunate but it is just one case and LAMP cannot police and adjudge all of its members' dealings.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
I think LAMP's old, battered heart is in the right place.  Execution will always be a problem.  But for those looking for answers (and willing to take the time to find them) LAMP remains an ok resource.

I direct many "newbies" there first...
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »

There are a million better ways to spend $60 than on that site, IMO.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
LAMP gets a special dispensation from me because they were there before anybody, providing free information when there was absolutely none available.  They've put a lot of time into it, and for them's what can afford it, more power to 'em, they deserve some compensation.  I'm pretty sure they're not summering on the Riviera with the profits.

Despite the navigation issues (using teh Google is a big help in this regard), and possibly more primitive code than even my website uses, LAMP offers a valuable service to collectors who need the info they've got available, and when you really need it, the $60 might not seem so bad. 

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »
Steve's situation is unfortunate but it is just one case and LAMP cannot police and adjudge all of its members' dealings.

As LAMP won't stand behind their promises below (they basically didn't want to know), a fraud that happened through their website (poster listed for sale not nearly as described), not a small fraud at that (it wasn't a $40 poster), LAMP dealer endorsement is worthless in my opinion, appearing to be a con - a money making exercise taking money from dealers, but not in the interest of the poster buyer, especially the newbie for whom they attract.

Rich has it right... honesty and excellent service is simple really...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quotes from the LAMP site:

On the LAMP site:
"ALL of our LAMP Dealers stand for Reliability, Honesty and Integrity."

To be a LAMP dealer, and display the LAMP logo, dealers must:
"Sign the LAMP No-Misrepresentation Agreement."

More:
"DEALER acknowledges that he/she does not engage in selling practices that are unfair, deceptive, misleading, or which misrepresents any aspect of LAMP, or which unfairly misleads or induces an unwilling customer to make a purchase."

"DEALER agrees to accurately describe each item and to guarantee that the merchandise is AS DESCRIBED. Without limiting any other remedies, LAMP may suspend or terminate your access to sell on LAMP if LAMP suspects that you (by conviction, settlement, insurance or escrow investigation, or otherwise) have engaged in fraudulent activity in connection with listing items for sale on LAMP."

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:46:43 PM by 50s »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »
If I could find what I search for on that site and 9 times out of 10 find it, I would join. I have never found an image of a poster I've been  looking for, so almost never use it.

I was collecting for 20+ years before they appeared and managed just fine. As we get on in years we get lazy,.....er, I mean slow down, so a site where you could gather info would be great, but they just don't have it...   

I do think as a sign of good will and to uphold their promises, they should be contacting the seller on Steve's behalf, to sort out the problem...  I hope in the next few posts we hear they have took the seller off their list, or got Steve some money back...
 waiting1
It's more than a Hobby...