Author Topic: Film Mags, What have you got?  (Read 80302 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Film Mags, What have you got?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 08:52:15 PM »
It does me good to hear you talk like this Charlie. One of the easiest ways of telling an old poster is how it has aged. You just can't fake that, these kids with their Batman repros is so much hassle.  Give me a good old vintage poster with it's faults, there's nothing finer, or more Original.... It's called History, and it's what Old posters have in buckets full... :)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
That is understandable, Paul.
Now, send me this one, so I can give it some 'history.'

A few weeks in the bathroom, it'll have that well-worn look, rolled spine, etc.  
Right now, it's too unblemished for your collection.  wynk
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:12:11 AM by brude »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »
That sounds like a good idea.  I'll have to make a decision once in hand... I am actually starting to like old beat up stuff.  It's funny when you know you can probably fix something all of a sudden having something perfect is not that big a deal anymore...  For example on the African Queen; it is a perfect candidate for backing but I kind of like the patina.  It makes it more original...

IF IT WAS ME, laser print the cover, and frame, keep mag as is.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 10:19:15 PM »
It does me good to hear you talk like this Charlie. One of the easiest ways of telling an old poster is how it has aged. You just can't fake that, these kids with their Batman repros is so much hassle.  Give me a good old vintage poster with it's faults, there's nothing finer, or more Original.... It's called History, and it's what Old posters have in buckets full... :)

I'm exactly with you on this, too, Paul. All of these new DS posters, the continual risks of repros, quantities printed in the thousands upon thousands, all make for a crazy making game. Vintage paper, the look, the smell, the feel, along with a piece's historical bumps and bruises, are what that material is all about. To take items like these and "scrub them clean," repaint their borders to a pristine finish and make them look almost better than they did when printed, defeats the purpose (conservation efforts aside), IMO.

Someone wanting a mint 40-70 year old poster would be better off buying a reproduction (not one that is meant to fool, but those created and so noted as such). All my 2¢, of course. ;)

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 10:26:25 PM »
Ill add the same 2c
An Error Has Occurred!

Charlie

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 11:17:39 PM »
It does me good to hear you talk like this Charlie. One of the easiest ways of telling an old poster is how it has aged. You just can't fake that, these kids with their Batman repros is so much hassle.  Give me a good old vintage poster with it's faults, there's nothing finer, or more Original.... It's called History, and it's what Old posters have in buckets full... :)

You know with having the experience of backing and restoring posters, I've gained a sense of appreciation for what a poster has gone through to get to the state it is in; because I have to reverse that history.  It is hard work and I find myself sometimes saying "Why?"...  A stain here or small tear there.  Guess what?  I can make that go away any time I want now...  Plus, The process also covers up so much, even stuff that is not aesthetic...  

Again I refer to the African Queen - If I were to back and restore it, no one would be able to read the great Charlotte North Carolina Exchange stamp on the back... That probably mean this one hung up all over the state in South Carolina...  Now that just adds to the poster - completely lost if backed...

Just some of the things I ponder.  If I linen back this, that history is pretty much forever gone...  Just like the mag cover being from the North Dakota State School of Science...  Some horn dog science geek or engineer ( thumbup) probably drooled all over it...  ;D

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:20:47 PM by Charlie »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
 clap   Well said Charlie, I have two posters that need backing, but they have stamps on the back Similar to the one you posted, and I can't bring myself to cover them up.  So they just stay in my "to do" pile....   

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »
i've been in the loft looking for something I can't find again, but this was there...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 04:56:25 PM »
Now, that's the first children's book I've ever seen bagged and boarded.  thumbup
Nice!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »
I think so long as you've got a pic of the exchange stamp you're still preserving the history Charlie.
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
I just can't help myself with Film mags, just picked this up, it's from July 1966...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »
Raquel...whatta woman.
Great mag, Paul.
 cheers

Charlie

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »
I just can't help myself with Film mags, just picked this up, it's from July 1966...

You know mags are starting to grow on me again...

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »
anyone got one of these?

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2012, 07:59:55 AM »
Yep,  I got two, do you need one..?

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
haha no, I got 3. ha.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »
"by Phil Edwards"
Name sounds familiar....that the same Phil at NSFGE?
Why is there a sealed section?  Someday have a spill?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
LAMP has some early 20th Century film mags if you're willing to sign up ($45 for six months).  I'd like to see some scanned-in pressbooks there as well....

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
"by Phil Edwards"
Name sounds familiar....that the same Phil at NSFGE?
Why is there a sealed section?  Someday have a spill?

Here you go Ted,  The sealed pages of the above mag. A bit tame, but if anyone needs these taken off the forum do say and I'll remove them...

As I say a bit tame, but a good ploy by Phil to get people to buy the Mag...

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
It may seem tame by today's standard but remember that this was a time when people were thrown in jail in the UK for renting out uncensored VHS films! (and in Sweden too, incidentally)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »
anyone got one of these?

I WANT one.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »

Here you go Ted,  The sealed pages of the above mag. A bit tame, but if anyone needs these taken off the forum do say and I'll remove them...

As I say a bit tame, but a good ploy by Phil to get people to buy the Mag...

Ummm, if this is the kind of mags you are looking for i could put up a few photos.
I thought it was film magazines for some reason....

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:17:06 PM by erik1925 »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2012, 06:52:56 AM »

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
Ted, yes its the same Phil from NS4.

re Censorship, this magazine was on the mag racks with other stuff for anyone to look through, and I  the magazine wasn't allowed in Queensland (a state in oz).

he also wrote a magazine called BEYOND IMAGINATION,

I got both of these when they were released, as a youngster, I cant remember dates off hand, but about 11 for Beyond Imagination, 13 (?) for Shocking Cinema, my mother had to buy it for me.

So, it was a thrill for me, many years later, to meet Phil and then become his friend. I had already "known" him for nearly 20 years.

If anyone has trouble finding a copy send me a message, or Phil might have some left for sale, they are getting pretty thin on the water, and also the quality of the binding isnt hot, so they tend to fall apart if handled too often .....

Beyond Imagination would be harder to get I think. Theres no hard pics in that though ;)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »
Ted, yes its the same Phil from NS4.

re Censorship, this magazine was on the mag racks with other stuff for anyone to look through, and I  the magazine wasn't allowed in Queensland (a state in oz).

he also wrote a magazine called BEYOND IMAGINATION,

I got both of these when they were released, as a youngster, I cant remember dates off hand, but about 11 for Beyond Imagination, 13 (?) for Shocking Cinema, my mother had to buy it for me.

So, it was a thrill for me, many years later, to meet Phil and then become his friend. I had already "known" him for nearly 20 years.

If anyone has trouble finding a copy send me a message, or Phil might have some left for sale, they are getting pretty thin on the water, and also the quality of the binding isnt hot, so they tend to fall apart if handled too often .....

Beyond Imagination would be harder to get I think. Theres no hard pics in that though ;)

Damn - why didn't I know Unka had his own mags?!  Or did I just forget?   :-[
Chris